Treadmill advise please

Options
Hi I have bought a home treadmill and I am very unfit and over weight which means I do get out of breath quickly and struggle I’ll be honest. Can anyone recommend how long I should go on for please ... thank you

Replies

• Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Download the couch 2 5k app and follow it
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hi I have bought a home treadmill and I am very unfit and over weight which means I do get out of breath quickly and struggle I’ll be honest. Can anyone recommend how long I should go on for please ... thank you

A little bit more each day. Are you walking or running?

If you are running check out Couch to 5K. It's not that you have to follow that program, but you will see the progression. Running for a bit, then walking, then running some more.

Here's an easier version: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/in-depth/5k-run/art-20050962?reDate=05012019
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    How much exercise were you doing before you bought the treadmill? Were you walking regularly, and if so, how far did you walk? Was that distance hard for you?

If you were doing little or no exercise before you bought the treadmill, then start with just walking slowly for a few minutes. When you feel tired, stop. You can gradually increase the distance you walk. Don't try to push yourself to do too much too soon. It takes time to build fitness.

If you want to run, you need to be able to walk comfortably first. Once you're comfortable with walking nonstop for about half an hour, and assuming there's no medical reason why you shouldn't run, you can start C25K.
  • Taz6o5
    Taz6o5 Posts: 3,441 Member
    Options
    When you first start on the treadmill start with speed 1 for 30 min.
    You may think 1 is to slow but I tell you you will be sweating .
    Do it for a week .
    Then the next week go to speed 2 and so on.
  • its_me_laura
    its_me_laura Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for everyone’s reply’s. fab advise. Yes I get so out of breath quickly it’s awful and then I panic about it so it makes it worse lol I won’t even attempt to run just yet. So walking is what I’m aiming at. I think the advise to starting slow and working up weekly is fantastic I will do that and surely after a few weeks I’ll feel better and can keep moving up!! I went to Vegas last year and OMG the walking in that heat almost killed me so I’m going again in may and definitely don’t want to feel like that again so this year I am looking forward to be smaller and healthier and that Vegas strip will not kill me lol thanks everyone 🥳
  • CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,852 Member
    Options
    I just restarted on the treadmill after gaining back all the weight I lost a few years ago. I started out at 7 minutes and increased it a little every few days.