Making a fresh start

Options
I'm 39 and desperately need to get back on track. I am currently 18.5 stone and 39 and can't seem to get started. I used to be 14st. How do I get started again? I can't seem to find the motivation/flick the switch. I plan on trying again tomorrow. Any help appreciated.

Replies

• thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Can you set a target for yourself?

I've booked myself an entry into a sporting event. That date is now out of my control, so I have to work around it - which includes losing weight by that date so I'll be in better physical condition to attempt it.

You don't necessarily have to enter a race. You could book tickets to go on holiday, see friends or family you haven't caught up with in a very long time, or perhaps buy an outfit for a special occasion that's slightly too small. But if you set a fixed date and target that you cannot move, that can help spur you on.

You don't need to lose 4.5 stone by that date - it could be a smaller initial goal like lose 7 lb. Sometimes planning to lose everything at the same time can be really demotivating. Pick something achievable and celebrate that when you manage it. You can always set another goal when you get to that milestone.
  • BMsJourney
    BMsJourney Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Write a list!
    Why do you want to loose the weight... what will success mean to you? visualization works, imagine how you will feel, look like, what you will do etc when you succeed...
    Best way to start; baby steps. One step at a time.. 1. log all food... 2. Adjust where you see potential..
    Don't restrict too much, take your time!

Good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm 39 and desperately need to get back on track. I am currently 18.5 stone and 39 and can't seem to get started. I used to be 14st. How do I get started again? I can't seem to find the motivation/flick the switch. I plan on trying again tomorrow. Any help appreciated.

I agree with BMidtun .....baby steps. Start with one change tomorrow and do that for a week. Then add another change and another and another.

Losing weight and keeping it off is a lifetime project.