Appetite revved up and tiredness staring new exercise

Options
Well I was doing brilliantly after no exercise over Christmas started a 10miles cycling every day. Today o felt like I had flu - tiredness. So my plans to be an Olympian are out the window and the kids chocolates and bread were raided I was so hungry!

Any others finding it a challenge with just starting out with exercise ?

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I don't think that is uncommon at all. It's easy to not properly eat enough for the exercise level, and for many certain types of exercise increase appetite quite a lot. There is a reason the use of the term "runger" exists!
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    There is no need to cycle everyday. It's better to ease into it. Sometimes doing less is better. The reason for raiding the cupboards is the bodies way of saying I need food. What might help is after 5 miles around 30 minutes have a banana or a bar or some small snack. Then when you come in you won't feel the same urgency to raid the cupboards and will help you keep on track
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Unless you are on flat terrain, going from nothing to 10 miles everyday is rather excessive. Try moderation and rest days.
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    In my experience, losing weight requires focus on the food -- how much you eat, what you eat, and when. Exercise is great for getting healthy, but going from no exercise to 10 miles of cycling sounds like too big a change, and big changes can lead to injury.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    going from nothing to 10 miles a day is pretty extreme, why not start with 5 miles 3 x a week and build up from there?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    Options
    Well I was doing brilliantly after no exercise over Christmas started a 10miles cycling every day. Today o felt like I had flu - tiredness. So my plans to be an Olympian are out the window and the kids chocolates and bread were raided I was so hungry!

Any others finding it a challenge with just starting out with exercise ?

Have you ever exercised before, or did you just take a break over Christmas?
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    There is no need to cycle everyday. It's better to ease into it. Sometimes doing less is better. The reason for raiding the cupboards is the bodies way of saying I need food. What might help is after 5 miles around 30 minutes have a banana or a bar or some small snack. Then when you come in you won't feel the same urgency to raid the cupboards and will help you keep on track

Just remember if you are biking to aid in weight loss don't eat back all your exercise calories. A "bar", depending on type, halfway through could very well replace all or more of the the calories burned during those 5 miles. It's not uncommon to mistake thirst for hunger, how about some water or non-caloric drink during the ride?

• Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    slow and steady. If you are trying to lose weight then trying to lose quickly will likely backfire. Most people start out thinking short term loss. That thinking usually ends up gaining all the lost weight back. It's a proven fact because losing weight is a lifestyle change if you want to keep the weight off.

"Dieting" should be considered short term weight loss. "Changing habits" should be considered for long term weight loss and maintenance.

Remember that too much exercise and not eating enough calories (especially healthy calories) can cause you to feel tired.
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

Just remember if you are biking to aid in weight loss don't eat back all your exercise calories. A "bar", depending on type, halfway through could very well replace all or more of the the calories burned during those 5 miles. It's not uncommon to mistake thirst for hunger, how about some water or non-caloric drink during the ride?

Yes it's all about calories but sometimes being smart about when you consume can help people keep on track
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

incorrect, as MFP gives you a deficit before exercise, so if you net your calorie goal then the deficit is still there.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's a perfectly normal reaction to changes in activity level. Riding 10 miles, untrained, will put a pretty serious dent in your stored glycogen and your body want to replace that in anticipation of future workloads.

I'm with the others..... going from zero to 10 miles daily is a big jump. Dial it back a bit and gradually work your way up. Once you've developed your fitness base there's no reason not to ride every day but, as they say, Rome wasn't built in a day.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

incorrect, as MFP gives you a deficit before exercise, so if you net your calorie goal then the deficit is still there.

I was speaking in generalities not how MFP tracks. Many people mistakenly overestimate the energy burn of an activity and "fuel up" when they may not really need the extra calories and could very well be thirsty.