I need help!!!

Options
Hi my name is Christy, I am 41, married, 3 kids, with one very spoiled Jack Russell.

About 5 years ago I went from 400 down to 250..... life happened, and I caught myself back up to 350.
I try to walk every day at least once, twice if I can, I have worked myself back down to about 315 but I am stuck.
I try to log all my food, but being a home cook it tend to be a little harder. I have also put my walking on the back burner because I am taking care of my mom (she broke her ankle 2 months ago).
I really want the weight off , I have so many things I still want to do.

I need friends, help, anything

Thanks
xu2vvo4fl1dh.jpeg

Replies

• pacsnc6
    pacsnc6 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    keep logging food and drinks. Try to walk a little more every day even just around the house. Take care of Mom and you.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Being the cook makes it easier I think, you 100% in control of everything you eat.

Use the recipe builder to help you out- it may seem time consuming at first, but it's worth it with meals you make regularly.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I find that logging is easier when I cook the foods, because I know what is in things.

Commit to adding one standard recipe a day. Does your family have spaghetti night? Add your recipe, then it will be available every week. Most days, however, I just log the individual ingredients. But then, I make pretty simple meals. Lamb chop, asparagus and olive oil...Falafel, cucumber, tomato, yogurt...doesn't take very long to log.

Also, remember that walking, or other exercise, will be a stress reliever while you are being a caretaker. It doesn't have to be hours and hours a day, but make 20 minutes for yourself.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Jack Russel's rule!

Welcome to the community! You can do this! Start tracking your intake, do this for a couple of weeks. When you are ready, see if you can make any small changes to your intake.

Walking is a good starting exercise and your dog will love it too!

Have you read any of the stickies at the top of the boards? this one is good

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    If you cant get outside, pull up a you tube video! I do all the cooking at home too! They are at my will! We eat a lot of pinterest vegetables for picky kids recipes. LOL! I have been killing the walks and workouts and still went up 1/2 a pound. I feel you! We can do this!!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Now that you have created a myfitnesspal account, use it to honestly and accurately log all your food.

What kind of foods do you tend to cook? We may have some tips to help you understand the calories in it.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    Hi Christy! Welcome to the MFP community. When you lost weight in the past did you use this app? I started using it in 2017 and can honestly say it changed my life. As the poser(s) above said, read some of the sticky threads at the top of the forums, they are invaluable. Second, buy a food scale. Use it. I'm a home cook too...and I like it because I control what goes into dinner. Everything just takes a little practice.

And, as already stated, take care of you and take care of your mom. And...be patient. It will happen. Feel free to reach out to me with any questions.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Being a caregiver, wife, and a mother is overwhelming! All the more reason to take very good care of yourself. You've lost the weight before so you know you can do it again.

Life is stressful and probably always will be in one form or another. Just focus on small changes that you can sustain and that become habit so that you don't have to waste precious time and energy on them.

Plan and log your food in advance, if possible. Move as much as you can but accept that a strict daily schedule is very tough to adhere to as unexpected things come up all the time. Try to set aside time to walk or workout but if that set time doesn't work then just try to fit it in elsewhere.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    You can have the life you want. Agree that cooking for yourself is an advantage. Food prep can have its hazards though. Chew gum. If the kids leave food on their plates, that doesn’t make it yours.

Calculate a modest calorie deficit, start a food diary and try to hit your number. You will soon find that you have a better chance to hit your number if you have a plan. Plan for each day and week. Get and use a food scale. Keep your diary going no matter what, good bad or ugly.

The only way to get weight off is to lose it. The way to lose it is calorie counting. It works. Weight loss is a skill set, mostly about problem solving.
  • SoleTrainer60
    SoleTrainer60 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hang in there young lady. You can do this. I know it is hard, when cooking for your family, but use portion control and try to use healthy ways of preparing your meals. It will be good for your whole family. For example baking or grilling instead of frying. Perhaps you already do this. If so that is great. I ,as well as many other have my good days and my bad days, but we have to continue on this healthy lifestyle. I wish you well and will keep you in my prayers. I also wish your mother a speedy recovery. 😊
  • shaneburgess
    shaneburgess Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just keep trying. The very act of trying helps you build up momentum so keep going. Think of yourself as the person that you want to be and overtime, you will achieve the goals. If you feel yourself thinking that you can't do it, just try to go back to think about how you will feel when you have achieved your goals. Visualize yourself and define yourself as your end goal as much as you can and you will get there.
  • jls1788
    jls1788 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi! I’m 41 with 3 kids too :) congrats on all the weight you’ve lost so far! Total! Keep focusing on that! I sent you a friend request. My advice is to log every bite, move more and make friends on here. It helps to know we’re not alone in this journey! Hugs!!
  • Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I home cook as well. I mostly eat Whole Foods, like an egg with some melon and an apple. Or Greek yogurt with banana and orange. Then at night I make a meal that I put in the recipe builder and measure out my portion before giving it to the family. Or, I don’t go to eat. ;(. No, I just have to scrounge more Whole Foods, but usually I cook something I want to try.

Planning 3 days in advance helps.