Anyone know what running injury this is?

Options
Hi all,

I have been running for almost 3 years now and I have always had this issue with my ankles after running, not all the time but most of the time. I have this pain on the top of my foot where the shin bone meets my ankle and this extends around to just under my outer ankle bone. This happens on either foot, sometimes only 1 or the other but mostly both. When I run, I don't really feel anything, its after I run or the next day. All the websites on running injuries don't mention this symptom at all. Anyone have an idea what this could be?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    No idea, seeing a doctor or physio would be your best bet
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    None of us, nor google, have access to you or your medical charts and thus we can't diagnose you. Go to a doctor (who does).
  • senor_jeff
    senor_jeff Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    well jeez, I was expecting a lurking pysio to easy spot it as something common like archilles tendonitis or planar fasciitis, but I guess not,
  • RhiAnLewis17
    RhiAnLewis17 Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's something to do with your gait? Depends where you run... Road runner/treadmill?
  • keiosthiori
    keiosthiori Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'll reiterate what others have said - go and see a doctor/physio to get a proper diagnosis.
    In the meantime though, this appears to be what you're talking about:
    https://www.epainassist.com/sports-injuries/foot-and-heel-injuries/inferior-extensor-retinaculum-pain

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    senor_jeff wrote: »
    well jeez, I was expecting a lurking pysio to easy spot it as something common like archilles tendonitis or planar fasciitis, but I guess not,

It's unlikely a lurking professional of any type would offer an opinion with doing an examination. The fact that it's not mentioned on running web sites suggest to me that it's not one of the common ones. Best to get it checked out and treated properly.
  • senor_jeff
    Options
    I'll reiterate what others have said - go and see a doctor/physio to get a proper diagnosis.
    In the meantime though, this appears to be what you're talking about:
    https://www.epainassist.com/sports-injuries/foot-and-heel-injuries/inferior-extensor-retinaculum-pain

Thank you, always nice to read up on these things, even if its not correct, it's good to be aware of it.
  • senor_jeff
    Options
    Maybe it's something to do with your gait? Depends where you run... Road runner/treadmill?

I mostly run on the road/paths and once a week on grass. And I think you are right about my gait, I have a quite high VO when I do my normal pace runs, which could be putting pressure on the ankle, and I did go through a period of wearing minimal shoes on concrete. I don't do that now, if I run on the road I use padded zero drop shoes now like Altra. Thanks!