When Looking for Friends...Diversity!

Options
Heather75
Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
Hi all. I have noticed that a lot of people, especially when they first sign up here, tend to want friends with whom they seem to have a lot in common. I have seen threads where people are practically asking for carbon copies of themselves - same height and weight, goals, marital status,. etc. It is natural to feel drawn to people with superficial similarities, but if you end up with a friends list of people who are all in the same situation, it can be a case of the blind leading the blind, so to speak.

Vary your friends. Seriously. We have so much to learn from people with different backgrounds, goals, achievements and methods that it would be a genuine shame to limit ourselves.

I have an amazing group of people on my list and I have learned something from all of them. Try it - you might like it!

Disclaimer - This is just my opinion and is based on my personal experience. I do not have any links, graphs or charts to back up these statements and in no way am I implying that my way is the only way.

Replies

• NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    *LOVE* :flowerforyou:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Haha, I don't have any charts or graphs to back this up, but I do know that diversity in friends is amazing! I am 33 and I have friends as young as 20 years old and as wise as upper 60's (tee hee, notice I didn't say old). We can learn many things from many different people. It's nice to have some buddies on the same page, but I really enjoy the wisdom of my older friends and the way my younger friends make me still feel like I am "in the loop."
  • cm2two
    cm2two Posts: 194
    Options
    so you only love me cause i love your friends? or wait, your frineds love me? or wait...xoxo i hear you sweets...i love my new friends i made in one day...they show me how awesome it is OUT THERE :D
  • FindingFit50s
    Options
    AGREE!! I have peeps with assorted backgrounds, personalities, genders & ethnicities, and who range from having lost a few pounds to nearly 150! I wouldn't want it any other way -- for just the reasons you stated! Love ALL of my MFPeeps!
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer - This is just my opinion and is based on my personal experience. I do not have any links, graphs or charts to back up these statements and in no way am I implying that my way is the only way.

That is too cute :laugh:

Actually I have friends from all walks and love everyone of them! People, when given the chance, have so much to share and we all can benefit from each other ..

Thanks for the encouragement! :happy:

Monica :heart:
  • cm2two
    Options

and i meant this girl...shes awesome...i dont know what ive been doing since february without her :)
  • NewVonnie
    Options

and i meant this girl...shes awesome...i dont know what ive been doing since february without her :)

I swear..if you make me cry again...:wink::flowerforyou: :heart: :blushing:
  • tmcj1968
    Options
    Good advice, Heather. I completely agree!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I second this. Various people from different walks of life are the best sources of learning things you never knew.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I agree. Thanks to MFP I've "met" people from all walks of life, which I otherwise would have probably never interacted with. It's really refreshing to have a little peek into peoples lives who are so different than mine; yet at the same time there are many things in common between all of us.
  • cm2two
    Options

oh stop...i dont make you cry :) i just adore you...and am not afraid to say it :)
  • Autumn15
    Autumn15 Posts: 213
    Options
    I think it makes sense to keep it mixed up you always stand to learn things from all walks of life and people of all ages...you never know what unique views they may have that can make a difference for you.
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I'm open to friendship of any kind, as long as they are an active member on MFP.
  • gfchica
    gfchica Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Variety is the spice of life! I'm always open to new friend requests.
  • spyork
    spyork Posts: 187
    Options
    Sound advice, add me anytime
  • NewVonnie
    Options

oh stop...i dont make you cry :) i just adore you...and am not afraid to say it :)

Ummmm, yeah you do..but they're happy tears. You are soooo sweet! :flowerforyou:
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    So true nothing like diversity.
  • Slinkybaz
    Slinkybaz Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Well said Heather and I love the Disclaimer! I wholeheartedly agree with this. Diverse friends means diverse advice and support - eventually some of it sticks and becomes "your own" in the future.

I like to be a very open minded person (where possible). My opinions can be subject to change when the arguments are given on a subject. I believe this makes me a better person as I can grow and change (preferably not grow physically as that would defeat the object of this site!)
  • lynchiebaby
    Options
    i love this post, fair play.
    i am only new to this site and still getting the hang of things so my friend size is quiet limited at the moment,so i am open to any friend request right now for some help and motivation, but im sure ill get there:flowerforyou:
  • mimaduck83
    mimaduck83 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    YES! Friends need to be all the colours and flavours of the rainbow. I love that my friends are all over the world, are different nationalities, different religions, speak different languages and are different colours. Variety is the spice of life people!