Macros?

Options

Hey, Happy New Year!

I have a serious weight loss journey ahead (4.5 stones to lose) and am unsure of what percentages my macro nutrients should be. Would you please help? My stats are below and I’m vegan.

Height: 5”2

Weight: 86kg (13.5 stone)
Goal Weight: 57.2kg (9 stone)

Daily MFP Calorie Goal: 1,200 kcal (calculated on low activity and weight loss goal of 1kg per week. I’m recovering from an injury but will increase my activity/exercise over the next month).

Thanks so much!

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    If you don't have any health issues, the MFP defaults are a fine place to start. Macros mostly affect satiety, and you need a minimum of protein & fat for health and fitness. Many of us look at the protein and fat goals as minimums, and let carbs fall where they may.

If I were you, I would reconsider the 1kg per week goal. 1200 cals is the absolute minimum, and generally it's recommended you lose no more than 1% of your body weight per week to protect from muscle loss. IMHO 1.5lbs per week is the most you should consider.

Check out the Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of each forum, lots of great info there too.

Welcome and good luck!
  • MileHigh4Wheeler
    MileHigh4Wheeler Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I just wrote a post on this very topic but I agree with @kimny72 that the MFP defaults are a good place to start. Just know that you have to adjust them as you go and find that something works better for you than another. You may find that cutting fat is better than cutting carbs or vice versa, depends on your body.

There are some tools to help you figure this out though. While fuzzy without hard data (like heart rate history, true exercise intensity and all of that) there are good algorithms to tell you where to start. I use the Harris Benedict Equation myself. I determine my Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) and use that to determine where things should go. You can use a tool like https://muscleforlife.com/bmr-calculator/ to help determine your BMR and also https://bodybuilding.com/fun/total-body-strong-calories-and-macro-calculator.html to help dial you in more.

For me I ended up seeing a dietitian to help me get a precise macro goal set in place that works with my body type, goals and performance.
  • cubvaughan
    cubvaughan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you both. I was playing around with the macros and now I’m unsure how to get the default back. Would you happen to know please?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    camvau wrote: »
    Thank you both. I was playing around with the macros and now I’m unsure how to get the default back. Would you happen to know please?

It's in goals somewhere. The MFP defaults are 50C/30F/20P.
  • MileHigh4Wheeler
    MileHigh4Wheeler Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I don't know anymore, I've changed all of mine to grams and it auto calculates my percentages based on that. You can probably do some googling for "Myfitnesspal default macro percentages" or open a ticket with support.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,058 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    camvau wrote: »

It's in goals somewhere. The MFP defaults are 50C/30F/20P.

Yeah, just go to MY HOME > GOALS > View guided setup, then click Update Profile and it will reset to defaults.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided
  • cubvaughan
    cubvaughan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone!!