When to stop?

Options
Do you stop eating dinner when your satisfied or when your full? I eat a plate of dinner (around 5:30) within my calories and carb, we'll try to at least. I'm usually satisfied with that 1 plate. When I go to bed (around 10pm) I feel like I'm starving.
I can't go to bed earlier because as soon as the older kids go to bed the newborn wakes up.

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I sleep better with food on my stomach so I prelog 250-300 calories to eat before bed every day. I am usually hungry about nine regardless of my supper.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I pre-log as well and plan for the snacks I can have between dinner and bedtime. The last thing I eat is usually a piece of cheese shortly before going to bed.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i preplan and pre log my food each day. so ... i eat what ive logged for dinner.

sometimes less, if im not hungry.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Another one who saves some of my calories for an evening snack. :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I save 100-300 calories for a snack. I would probably have it at 8 or 9 if I had dinner at 5 pm.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I would be gnawing my own arm off with dinner at 5:30 and nothing else before bed, even if that dinner was fairly substantial. :( If possible, you might want to consider shifting dinnertime to a little bit later, but if not, definitely save calories for an evening snack.

Edited to add: You may also want to consider if your weekly weight loss goal is appropriate for you and giving you enough calories in general to work with. We all want the weight gone yesterday, but slow & sustainable generally leads to better adherence in the long run.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    I’m in discipline mode and an IF practitioner. My goal is to end my feeding window at 5:00 pm and I’m done for the day. Sometimes it’s later such as last evening when I was done at 6:15 pm.

My brain and gut “obey” but sometimes they chatter. I tell them to shut up and go to bed.

It took practice to get to where I’m at but now, honestly, it’s pretty easy. Not drinking adult beverages helps, I’m sure.
  • tburgardt
    tburgardt Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    I would be gnawing my own arm off with dinner at 5:30 and nothing else before bed, even if that dinner was fairly substantial. :( If possible, you might want to consider shifting dinnertime to a little bit later, but if not, definitely save calories for an evening snack.

Edited to add: You may also want to consider if your weekly weight loss goal is appropriate for you and giving you enough calories in general to work with. We all want the weight gone yesterday, but slow & sustainable generally leads to better adherence in the long run.

I can not change the time we eat. My kids go to bed at 7 for school. They usually take an hour to eat.
  • susan_spearns
    susan_spearns Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Definitely stop eating when you are beginning to feel satisfied. It takes your brain 15 minutes to get the message that you’re full and you can imagine how many additional (and unnecessary) calories a person can consume in that amount of time.

Different macros for a bed snack work better/worse for different people so you may want to play around with the combo. Some people find they get a better sleep with more carbs, or sleep longer with more protein, etc. Something like Greek yogurt with a little bit of granola is one of my go-tos. The protein helps sustain hunger throughout the night and the carbs may contribute to my quick fall to sleep.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I am trying to avoid snacking by following the eating patterns I remember from childhood. We were well fed but never fat.

In my old age, I appreciate how wise my mother was back in the day. I don't remember if we were forbidden to root around in the fridge or pantry for snacks, but it seems it just wasn't done. We occasionally had a small dessert like fruit after supper, then the kitchen was closed for the day. Any time we would claim to be hungry outside of mealtimes, she knew we were just bored and offered to "give us something to do" which we quckly declined.

I'll admit this is difficult for me to do now that bad habits have been well established in the decades since then. I'm trying to think "what would mama say?"
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I usually eat supper (which is a smaller meal, my lunch is my biggest meal of the day), between 5-6pm and then I'm done for the night, except for a cup of weak coffee at 7pm. I've learned that for me, night time eating was a habit and not due to actual hunger. When I eat at night I'm also more prone to be loose with serving sizes and food choices, so it just works better for me to avoid it all together.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Shave a couple hundred dinner calories for a final snack, closer to bedtime, to tame your hunger beast.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I push breakfast back as long as possible. Then I save those unused calories for dessert right before bed, every night.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Your calorie goal might just be too low. It needs to be sustainable.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Your calorie goal might just be too low. It needs to be sustainable.

This could be a real possibility.

But for me, i stop eating when i am done my planned portion/meal but I plan out a snack before bed. anywhere from 100-200 calories depending how the rest of the day went. I pre-log my day and review in the evening to correct and adjust.
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Just eat something else before bed