Any women almost 60yo trying to lose about that in weight?

I will soon be 59. I am 65 pounds overweight. My goal is to lose that weight before I hit 60. Not an easy thing for a post menopausal woman to do according to my doctors. Anyone else want to join me in proving them wrong?

Replies

• dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    You can do it, it is a little harder but can be done I'm 71 and still trying. Good luck
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    edited January 2019
    Your doctors are wrong. ;)

I did it already. Well, more like 50 pounds, about 3 years back, when I was age 59-60. I don't think it's harder than for younger folks, mostly, really.

The main thing is that it usually requires fewer calories to sustain our weight than it used to, because we've lost muscle mass, and gotten in the entrenched habit of being less active, compared to when we were younger.

Happily, both of those are things we can change, via exercise and moving more in our daily life habits as well.

The big deal in achieving weight loss is finding happy ways to eat the right calorie level. But being more active lets that calorie level be just a little higher, so easier to manage.

You can do this: Don't let others convince you it's hard. Best wishes!
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Please don't buy into the "can't lose weight or muffin top" after 60 myth. I am 74 and have lost 50 pounds over the past 5 1/2 months. Now at 138 pounds, the mid-point of my maintenance range.

Track, consistently stay at or under calorie allotment, and exercise. This is very doable!
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    I've done it. I started here back when I was 57, and slowly lost around 50 pounds. I ended up taking a year off due to stress from family members illness, but am back at 60 to lose the last 20 pounds. It really is doable.
  • judymurphy80
    judymurphy80 Posts: 7 Member
    Wildbreeze wrote: »
    I will soon be 59. I am 65 pounds overweight. My goal is to lose that weight before I hit 60. Not an easy thing for a post menopausal woman to do according to my doctors. Anyone else want to join me in proving them wrong?

All I can say, is dont set goals that are unreachable, and dont stress yourself out about a certain date that you have to achieve it in. Focus on the healthy eating habits, and the quantity intake, you'll see it start to come off. I'm also new. And turned 60 -6 months ago. We'll get thru this, one meal at a time. Best of luck to you! I live in plainwell.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    I am 62 have lost 32 lbs using MFP last year and aim to lose another 30 by summer.

It is not that more difficult at our age. You just have to be consistent and patient. :)