Could use some help.

Options
January 1 2019, I ended up in the ER for what we later found out was a severe panic attack that spiked my heart rate to a peak out of 170 at rest. Reason for the short backstory is because it has motivated me to make some lifestyle changes and so far a week later I'm still strong with it.

I'm 400lbs as of 1/1/2019, 398 as of today. I drive an 18 wheeler for a living so not the healthiest occupation by any means, but I've started putting in the effort to change that for myself. Prior to the diet and exercise changes I was sitting 14+hours a day and sleeping the rest with minor walking as needed. I was eating anywhere between 3000-7000kcal a day almost 80% of which was purely fast food (taco Bell, Wendy's, Hardee's, Arby's, subway being the big 5 for me (I hate mcd)) which explains why I gained over 100lbs in less than 4 years .

Ok so. Changes made since the incident. Cut out 90% of red meat and carbs, cut out 100% greasy and deep fried foods, and cut out as much of the bad fats as I physically can without going vegan. I eat mainly fish and poultry for my protein with some nuts like almonds and walnuts as snacks. I'm doing spinach salads with 2TBS of ranch, cucumbers, carrots, the mainly healthy stuff. I do 1 medium avacado a day.

That is predominantly what I eat on a regular basis now. Total kcal a day average is between 1200 and 1800 at the moment. So why am I posting that there is a problem? Sounds like everything is going good?

Here is the issue. Last 2 days ish now I've been having stomach cramps, now granted this is since I got back to work and it's harder to do the dietary stuff I've been doing at home out here without a fridge/cooler (will solve that in a week) I'm still staying below 2000kcal out here so far and choosing the healthiest options I can till I can get my cooler. But I have reintroduced some carbs like flat breads specifically. Just wondering what some might think is causing the stomach cramps? I don't feel hungry I actually feel full longer now since the diet change and I'm eating far less. I drink on average 3-6 bottles of water a day on the road, and 6-8 at home.

Thanks to anyone that took time to read this. Any tips to help with my diet as well as what's going on with these cramps would be much appreciated. The cramps come and go. They're worse before bed normally, and around lunch ish time

Replies

• mtnstar
    mtnstar Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I think such a big change can definitely wreak havoc on your system, or it could be a stomach bug, other things. Since none of us here are your doctor, a call to your physician is totally in order. I know it can be a PITA to navigate the health care system, so it’s tempting to reach out online, but you are in pain. Professional help is needed.

Kudos on your commitment to change your lifestyle and get healthier. Don’t let this speed bump dissuade you!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Maybe increased fiber, you should adjust soon. Also I second the caution about going below 1500 calories.

• Hellyrrian
    Hellyrrian Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    It's not pain, it's an annoyance more than anything. It's like a dull ache that comes and goes. Reason for the drastic kcal change is bariatrics. Bariatric Doctor needs me to get as close to 1000kcal a day before we can consider the surgery for the gastric sleeve. So this is by instruction of a doctor yes. Was just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar. Just 5 days of eating really healthy and then my wife bringing home Wendy's the smell of it almost made me puke.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    In my opinion you've over-corrected and made a couple of the mistakes that caused me to fail in my weight loss efforts in the past.

1. Not eating enough:
    1200-1800 calories a day for a dude your size is dangerously low. 1200 calories per day is the BARE minimum required to keep a short, petite, sedentary female alive. For a male of your size I'd expect to see a calorie intake closer to the 2500-3000 calorie range (depending on age/height/activity level) to see healthy weight loss. Put your details into MFP it will give you a calorie target then just stick to that target. Under eating is counter productive as it leads to deprivation and bingeing not to mention a calorie deficit that large is almost certainly going to damage your health.

2. Too drastic a change in eating habits:
    No particular food will cause you to gain or lose weight. The only thing you need to do to lose weight is to eat in a calorie deficit. I'm going to guess and say that fish, salad and nuts aren't your favourite foods otherwise they would have been what you were eating all along. Massive changes in eating habits in my experience are short lived and soon you end up going back to the foods you like.
    Here's the good news. You can absolutely eat the foods you like (yes TB, Wendys, subway etc) and lose weight. In fact I'd recommend that you continue to eat the foods you've always eaten to begin with. The only difference is that you need to eat those foods to a level that keeps you in a calorie deficit. That's not to say that 'healthier' choices aren't going to be better for your health, but the only thing that matters for weight loss is a calorie deficit and if eating so called 'junk food' lets you stick to a calorie deficit easier then why make things harder than they need to be. In the end losing weight even on fast food is going to have the biggest impact on your health.

G'luck
  • Hellyrrian
    Hellyrrian Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Actually believe it or not. Chicken, Fish, salads, red meat, etc are what I was eating in in regularly prior to getting into trucking. Wasn't till I got into trucking that it became a hassle to get those foods in healthy forms so I gave up on them and went to the easy to obtain fast food.

Most of my dietary changes pre and post trucking is because I'm lazy. I didn't want to make the effort to find the healthy alternatives because they take a PITA amount of extra work to obtain. Like walking a 1/4 mile. Honestly beening eating fast food so long and often now I'm sick of them. And since the dietary change I can't even stand the smell of them besides subway and Arby's. (Love my gyros). I do see what y'all are saying about needing to increase kcal. Will have to talk with my doctor about that one because with gastric sleeve youre only able to eat 600-800 kcal a day as it removes 80% of your stomach. I appreciate all the advice. Thank you guys :smiley:
  • amcarpla
    amcarpla Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Could possibly be gall bladder related as well. Going from a high fat to even moderate fat can cause some problems. Your gall bladder is used to producing more bile to combat the high fat, so it still may be. I would check with your doctor to be sure though. your gall bladder is more right side upper GI so about under the rib. There is also diverticulitis. Could just be irritation from the drastic change in types of foods. I would check with your doc definitely. They can pin point better.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Here is a thought for you. If you go ahead and lose the weight needed for your surgery, why can't you continue in the plan and skip the surgery? Any type of surgery is not without risks, and not fool proof. Many who have had the surgery (no matter what type: bypass, sleeve, etc) lose the weight and within a year promptly start putting it on again. I have also known several who had problems with this type of surgery including a friend who died on the table. Just adding food for thought.