Fat Fighter

Options
Hey all,

I'm just introducing myself and looking for some basic advice. I won't go into details, but between life throwing curve balls and general depression I have gained weight.

I am currently 33yrs, 5'10" and 320lbs. I have always been muscular. I am built like a line-backer, and everyone says I carry it well, but I know my bmi is ~40-45% and getting more out of control.

I only have 1 good pair of work pants that fit anymore and I'm too embarrassed to go to the store to buy bigger pants. I'm done. I can't do this anymore. I've developed back problems I had to buy a better mattress for. I have no energy. I recently went to a theme park and was almost too big to ride the rides. They really had to press in the bar in to lock it. Most embarrassingly, it has become harder to wipe. ...yeah. That was a hard moment to process for me.

As of right now I have been dieting a week. No particular diet, just better foods (fish, chicken, eggs, veggies, rice, etc) and counting calories. Trying to keep carbs down and protein high. MyFitnessPal is helping me log everything I eat or drink.

I am shooting for 210-220lbs, which is a comfortable spot for me. The lowest I have ever been was 195lbs when I was in the military and in very good shape. I have a recumbent exercise bike coming in this week and I am hoping to get a bench press (free weights), as it is my favorite. I have several dumbbells of different weights and I am no stranger to push-ups, sit-ups, leg lifts, etc.

My plan, right now, is to start going to bed an hour earlier and waking up an hour earlier. Get in a 1/2 hour of cardio before work and either getting 1/2 again after work or weight training (rotating days). I will probably be sore for a week or two... or three, but I can handle that.

Wish me luck as I wish all of you luck! I think weight loss is a personal journey for each individual and even if no one reads this, it felt good to write it.

Thank you.

Replies

• Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You don't need luck. You can do it

Try not to put too much pressure on yourself. As long as you're sticking to your calorie goal you will succeed
  • CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I don't refer to what I am doing as a "diet". It is a new lifestyle. I plan to never go back to what I was doing before. My one bit of advice is be patient. You didn't gain all that wait in a few months and it won't come off in a few months. I need to keep reminding myself of that. I'm also doing the low carb/high protein thing...it is what my Dr. recommended.

I just got a new recumbent bike a couple of weeks ago and I love it. It is a Schwinn 270....I did all sorts of research before I settled on this one. So far..so good.
  • Martial101
    Martial101 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I got a Exerpeutic 900XL. I wanted a recumbent bike just in case running on a treadmill decided to agitate my back more. It also had a much higher weight limit as a lot of treadmill's I saw had a 200-250lbs limit. I'll let you know how it does. It is a cheaper model (one of the highest rated in terms of quality to price ratio), and if I really like the exercise I may upgrade in a year's time.
  • CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing. I gave away my old Exerpeutic when I got the Schwinn. I have problems with my back too, which is why I went with the recumbent style bike.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Posting that takes courage... nice job!
  • BMsJourney
    BMsJourney Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    From your post it seems you have a plan. Stick to it, the results will come! :smile:
    On the bike vs threadmill, I think you've made a good choice. A threadmill workout (running especially) will be a much higher impact than biking.
    Once you feel up to it, you can start walking outdoors - I usually clear my head while trotting through some forest...

Good luck,
    please feel free to add me if you want someone to support you on your journey!