Cheat days?

brittlb07
brittlb07 Posts: 313 Member
edited January 2019 in Food and Nutrition
I am on a 1,200 calorie diet. I am current 143 and want to get to 120. How often do you have a cheat day? And is it basically a day without counting calories at all? Or just a bit over your calorie goals? I would hate to ruin all the work I’ve done in one day! I’m on day six day of 1,200 calories. Down 2.5 pounds.

Replies

• witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Never. Because a cheat day inevitably turns into a cheat week and then, lo and behold, it’s a month later and I’ve gained 5 pounds. 😂

If I bite it, I write it: the good, the bad, and the ugly.

There are some days when I don’t eat all of my exercise calories, and then I’ll have a higher calorie day later in the week. I monitor my average calories per day over the course of the week and make sure they roughly net out to my goals.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited January 2019
    never cuz i could easily blow my entire week’s deficit that way.

i have a cheat MEAL once every 2-3mts. where i go over cals.

mostly i work in fancy stuff by saving cals over the week and not snacking the day of. get an extra workout in.

it is very possible 1200 calories is too low a goal for you. did mfp recommend that? how tall? what rate of loss did you pick? it is the min a female should eat to get all their nutrients. and for very shory verrry sedentary women. and don’t forget to eat back your exercise calories.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I wouldn't consider what I do a cheat, but I eat lighter during the week and bank calories to indulge more on the weekends. Sometimes it is foods I don't have during the week, sometimes it's just larger portions. But it's still very controlled and in the end I remain in a deficit over the week. I also have a lot of calories to play with.

In your case though since you are already at 1200 cals you really can't bank as much. What are your stats, how much did you set MFP to lose per week? If you chose a more aggressive goal then you might not have room for much, some people find that can lead to a binge so just be mindful of that.
  • brittlb07
    Panini911 wrote: »

mostly i work in fancy stuff by saving cals over the week and not snacking the day of. get an extra workout in.

it is very possible 1200 calories is too low a goal for you. did mfp recommend that? how tall? what rate of loss did you pick? it is the min a female should eat to get all their nutrients. and for very shory verrry sedentary women. and don’t forget to eat back your exercise calories.

I am only 5’4 so 1200 is acceptable. I only do like exercise such as yoga or maybe a 10 minute cardio video at max.

• arilukaszewicz1
    arilukaszewicz1 Posts: 75 Member
    Girl I used to ask the same questions as u hoping for a cheat day. I am 228 right now since last week and on day 6 of my 2000 cal a day journey. I feel lighter already.

I would just forget about cheat days and fit the junk food u want into your daily calorie goal. Otherwise your efforts will fail. Good luck, I’m sure you will be able to reach your goal
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Before I started using myfitnesspal to log food and lose weight, I had maintained in the range of 270 lb-280 lb by eating at a calorie deficit Monday through Friday, at maintenance on Saturday, and in surplus on Sunday. I wasn't even aware of that until I logged my normal week for the first week. By having a weekly cheat day, I was not losing weight at all and was maintaining OBESE II. I don't even like to call them cheat days because the only person being cheated is yourself. You're supposed to treat yourself with love and respect.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    How often do I have cheat days? Almost daily. My diet is mostly junk food lol.
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    At 5’4” and 143lbs you are already at a normal, healthy weight. Any weight loss you seek ought to be achieved slowly and very carefully. You may also find that you get more of the effect you are seeking (energy level, how clothing fits, tone, etc) through increased strength training rather than weight loss.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    At 5’4” and 143lbs you are already at a normal, healthy weight. Any weight loss you seek ought to be achieved slowly and very carefully. You may also find that you get more of the effect you are seeking (energy level, how clothing fits, tone, etc) through increased strength training rather than weight loss.

This. Since you're already in an optimal BMI range for your height, I would recommend looking into recomp to build muscle and reduce fat, rather than focusing on weight loss.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited January 2019
    brittlb07 wrote: »
    Panini911 wrote: »

I am only 5’4 so 1200 is acceptable. I only do like exercise such as yoga or maybe a 10 minute cardio video at max.

I am 5'1 and lose over 1pd a week at 1300 and at least .5 at 1400 (roughly). I don't do gym or formal workouts. So I wouldn't actually consider 1200 acceptable unless you are more or less bed ridden. I am on the last 5 vanity pounds now (within my BMI but top range) and loose at 1350-1400 and will be working on slowing that down. I was losing 2/lb a week at 1300.

My full (current) stats: 5'1, middle aged female, 125pds. eating 1350-1400 calories daily and still loosing.
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    I do it once a week and eat about 3k calories, but that's because i'm in maint. If i was trying to lose more id probably do a cheat meal once a month.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    You aren't really "cheating" anything - your body tracks calories even if you don't.
    As others have said, 1200/day is pretty low. If you want more calories on the weekend or something, you could try watching your weekly intake/deficit instead of daily.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    i dont have cheat days.

i make what i want fit.

as long as i am under maintenance, im okay with it.

and if im over, not a big deal.
  • brittlb07
    Many of you are suggesting that the 140's is "normal" for my height of 5'4. I should add that I have a very small frame (size 4 ring finger!). I have been 115-130 my whole adult life and been "normal" at these weights- never skinny. I can assure you that on my body, 140's is NOT right. I would share the pictures but my husband would be embarrassed for me haha. I have LOTS of extra weight hanging over my body in my thighs and midsection. To give perspective, my sister is 110 pounds and of the same height and that is her "normal" weight without working out or worrying about anything. We have a SMALL bone structure. So these extra pounds REALLY show sadly. I stopped nursing for the first time in almost 7 years as I nursed each of my kids until they were over 2 so I was eating like I was still nursing and I think this is what caused the rapid weight gain. I also have a family situation I am dealing with which also lead to the sudden gain as I was eating my emotions. But I am watching what I eat and really trying to make things right! I will consider more than 1,200 calories but this is what MFP recommended to lose 1-2 pounds a week for me and my activity level.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Keep in mind that your calorie goal is the amount to lose weight. You can eat up to maintenance sometimes without undoing your hard work, it will just slow your loss down a bit. I would suggest logging those days at least initially so you don't go off track. I personally don't call them cheat days, but I know that I eat out at least one meal and sometimes 2-3 on Fridays, so I just try to stay within maintenance and drink lots of water that day and the next to deal with the water retention from the extra sodium.
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    edited January 2019
    brittlb07 wrote: »

Thank you for explaining. I guess this is what I mean. We have been eating in and healthy every meal the last seven days. I was hoping for a cheese quesadillas from our local Chipotle-like Latin restaurant. This is not something I'd usually eat when eating healthy. But if the equation really does just comes down to calories, I think I hear everyone saying it is okay to eat if within my calories without calling a "cheat."

Yep! Before I joined mfp, I thought I had to eat “healthy” all the time to lose weight, but it truly comes down to eating fewer calories than you burn. It’s a good idea for overall health to try to eat as healthy as you can, but treats are definitely not off-limits. It’s a lifestyle, not a crash diet.