Confused about Calorie Deficit....Help?

So I have been on a 1200 calorie diet for a year now and lost 30 pounds but I don't get the whole -500 calorie deficit. Do I burn 500 calories a day and eat my 1200 calories or do I burn 500 calories and eat 700 calories. I know I sound silly but I don't get it.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    So I have been on a 1200 calorie diet for a year now and lost 30 pounds but I don't get the whole -500 calorie deficit. Do I burn 500 calories a day and eat my 1200 calories or do I burn 500 calories and eat 700 calories. I know I sound silly but I don't get it.

1200 includes a deficit. so your maintenance is at least 1700.

so you eat 1200 cals, plus any exercise calories that you burn
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

1200 calories is your deficit...1200 calories isn't maintenance. You eat 1200 calories...if you exercise you eat a little more.

You put in that you wanted to lose weight...MFP calculated a calorie target for you based what rate of loss you chose...the calculator did the work...it calculated a weight loss target for you.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,314 Member
    From Help at the top of every page comes this: How does MyFitnessPal calculate my initial goals?

• crashleyw
    crashleyw Posts: 9 Member
    I know this is confusing - sometimes I need little reminders too about how it works.
    So yesterday - my 'goal' was 1200 - 984 for food +158 for exercise = 374. So technically I could have eaten another 374 calories... and usually I do, it was just an odd day.

Does that make sense?
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    crashleyw wrote: »
    I know this is confusing - sometimes I need little reminders too about how it works.
    So yesterday - my 'goal' was 1200 - 984 for food +158 for exercise = 374. So technically I could have eaten another 374 calories... and usually I do, it was just an odd day.

Does that make sense?

This does not make sense.
    If your goal is 1200, and you burn 158 in exercise, you should eat 1358 calories (1200+158) for the day.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    krael65 wrote: »

Does that make sense?

If your goal is 1200, and you burn 158 in exercise, you should eat 1358 calories (1200+158) for the day.

2 ways to come to the same number. They ate 984 and had 374 left so they could have eaten (984+374) 1358 in total.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Not silly at all. This is an abstract concept helping frame an issue in the real world. There is nothing intuitive about this. What is your Basal Metabolic Rate estimate? Not 1200 I'm assuming.

At my height/weight/age my BMR is ~2100 kcals/day. This being the caloric estimation my body needs simply to maintain without factoring activity e.g. laying on the couch all day.

With my activity I burn ~600 kcals/day, making my Total Daily Energy Expenditure 2100 + 600 = 2700.

So eating 2700 kcals/day would maintain wieght.

Creating a deficit would be 2700 - 500 (for ~1lb/week rate of loss) = 2200 kcals.
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member

Does that make sense?

2 ways to come to the same number. They ate 984 and had 374 left so they could have eaten (984+374) 1358 in total.

OOPS. Sorry. My math brain wasn't working!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Also bear in mind that your body will adjust to whatever you do. So lets say you find the perfect balance of food and exercise and start losing weight, your body will adjust to the new activity level and food intake within a couple of weeks so you have to "keep your body guessing" by increasing your food intake and/or totally changing your exercise routine. I've plateaued many times because I didn't change things up, now each week I alter my calorie intake a bit and every two I totally change my workout (periodization) and it's been successful for me.

Adaptive thermogenesis happens over months and years, not a couple of weeks. It's perfectly normal to have a week or two every once and awhile where you don't lose weight - that's not a plateau, just real life, normal weight fluctuations. You most likely would have started losing again anyway, whether you changed things up or not.

OP, as others have said, assuming you set up your account with your goal set to "lose weight", the calorie goal MFP gave you includes your deficit. And 1200 calories is the minimum you should be netting. So you should eat at least 1200, plus at least some of your exercise calories.

Congrats on your success!!!
  • crashleyw
    crashleyw Posts: 9 Member

Does that make sense?

OOPS. Sorry. My math brain wasn't working!

I'm not sure if my original reply worked so I'm posting it again, sorry!

You had me worried that I have been doing this all wrong for a moment! Haha
    While I do normally eat those calories back I try to to have a slight deficit there too right now as I'm having some trouble shifting weight but usually only a few calories.