Alcohol is it’s own macro. How do you enter the calories?

Options
japar
japar Posts: 51 Member
If you try to enter an alcoholic beverage in MFP, your calories will usually be listed as carbohydrates or fats. While there may be some carbohydrates in your drink, most of the calories are coming from a different macro… Alcohol. It is it’s own macro. Do you think MFP could add alcohol as a macro? Thoughts?

Replies

• Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is converted by the body to sugar, and is used as a simple carbohydrate. So it's going to track as sugar and carbs. So it's really not it's own macro. You could make a note in your food diary to track ounces of alcohol consumed if you want to track the alcohol itself... That's about all you could really do with it though.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I respectfully disagree. Alcohol is its own macro, @7kcal/g. nutritiondata.com will show you the actual breakdown across 4 macros.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    I would think that the recommended alcohol intake would have to be zero or close to it...so...it's not really a nutritious substance.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    .... Well I just learned something new today.(In regards to the alcohol macro)

I just did a quick google search for "alcohol tracker apps" and found some results that look promising. Perhaps you could track your alcohol that way, and use MFP for everything else?

Edit for clarity
  • japar
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    japar wrote: »
    If you try to enter an alcoholic beverage in MFP, your calories will usually be listed as carbohydrates or fats. While there may be some carbohydrates in your drink, most of the calories are coming from a different macro… Alcohol. It is it’s own macro. Do you think MFP could add alcohol as a macro? Thoughts?

I don't think they are going to add a macro column that for most people would almost always be zero, but who knows? In the meantime, if you believe the entries you are finding are incorrectly adding to your carbs, you can create an entry that doesn't do that. An entry's macros don't actually have to match the calorie total, so you can enter just calories and then whatever amount of carbs you have determined is accurate.

Good feedback. Thanks and I will try that.
  • japar
    Options
    I would think that the recommended alcohol intake would have to be zero or close to it...so...it's not really a nutritious substance.

The number of calories in a gram of alcohol has nothing to do with recommended intake. If you are trying to account for alcohol calories you cannot do that in MFP.
  • japar
    Options
    100% ethanol is its own macro, 7 calories per gram. But nobody drinks that. Just log your beer, or tequila, or whatever.

A gram of alcohol is 100% ethanol, and it has 7 calories. In the United States, one "standard" drink (or one alcoholic drink equivalent) contains roughly 14 grams of pure alcohol, which is found in: 12 ounces of regular beer, which is usually about 5% alcohol. 5 ounces of wine, which is typically about 12% alcohol. But make no mistake, each one of those grams of alcohol is 100% ethanol.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    100% ethanol is its own macro, 7 calories per gram. But nobody drinks that. Just log your beer, or tequila, or whatever.

A gram of alcohol is 100% ethanol, and it has 7 calories. In the United States, one "standard" drink (or one alcoholic drink equivalent) contains roughly 14 grams of pure alcohol, which is found in: 12 ounces of regular beer, which is usually about 5% alcohol. 5 ounces of wine, which is typically about 12% alcohol. But make no mistake, each one of those grams of alcohol is 100% ethanol.
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    You can log it, the calories will still be counted. It just won't show up as a separate macro (whatever carbs it has will show up, but the total calories will be more). I just checked out of curiosity, since I know people log their alcohol calories.

Exactly. Which is why just logging your margarita is enough.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    You can find the calories and do a quick add for that amount if you don't want it to affect your macros. I've done that in the past.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Alcohol is converted by the body to sugar, and is used as a simple carbohydrate. So it's going to track as sugar and carbs. So it's really not it's own macro. You could make a note in your food diary to track ounces of alcohol consumed if you want to track the alcohol itself... That's about all you could really do with it though.

Alcohol is indeed a macro and it is not metabolized as a sugar or a carbohydrate. It is catabolized. For each gram of alcohol there are 7 cal that are primarily metabolized by the liver but are also released into the bloodstream and result in blood alcohol content. Those calories can be stored as fat, particularly because the body sees it as a toxin.

Actually, the problem is not that the alcohol gets stored as fat (very little ethanol actually gets converted to fat), the problem is that alcohol consumption puts the breaks on using all other energy substrates (fats, carbs and protein) so that the other substrates get stored as fat until the alcohol has been completely processed:

https://leangains.com/the-truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle-growth/

I've read that before, from a few different sources. What I don't understand is if/why/to what extent that matters. If the overall energy balance is what it is over a period of time, does it matter if some of that energy is "prioritized" by alcohol?

I hope that's worded clearly enough...

I have not found it to be the case, I would imagine it levels out over time. I would think the main issue could lie with possible overeating after and an effect on energy levels/workout performance.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options

Alcohol is indeed a macro and it is not metabolized as a sugar or a carbohydrate. It is catabolized. For each gram of alcohol there are 7 cal that are primarily metabolized by the liver but are also released into the bloodstream and result in blood alcohol content. Those calories can be stored as fat, particularly because the body sees it as a toxin.

Actually, the problem is not that the alcohol gets stored as fat (very little ethanol actually gets converted to fat), the problem is that alcohol consumption puts the breaks on using all other energy substrates (fats, carbs and protein) so that the other substrates get stored as fat until the alcohol has been completely processed:

I've read that before, from a few different sources. What I don't understand is if/why/to what extent that matters. If the overall energy balance is what it is over a period of time, does it matter if some of that energy is "prioritized" by alcohol?

I was actually putting that out there in reference to the 'alcohol stored as fat' comment that I quoted... but to answer your question - yes, energy balance still counts and if you are drinking alcohol it does affect the daily calorie totals so you need to log it and account for it.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options

I was actually putting that out there in reference to the 'alcohol stored as fat' comment that I quoted... but to answer your question - yes, energy balance still counts and if you are drinking alcohol it does affect the daily calorie totals so you need to log it and account for it.

So over the course of the week... a deficit is a deficit is a deficit, regardless of whether or not alcohol is part of that deficit?

Yes