Weight loss vs fat loss

Options
I got a new scale about 6 weeks ago, and it tells me body fat percentage. I must admit I was shocked that I have 50% body fat. I knew it was high, but I didn't think it would be that high. I guess my excuse of 'I weigh a lot because I have a lot of muscle' doesn't really fly any more.

I know it's nowhere near as accurate as a skinfold test, but in the six weeks since I've had it, while my body weight has gone down, my fat percentage has not.

Does this mean that I need to do more strength training? I've kind of been relaxed about it lately - I know, smack me please - and only done it once a week. If I bump up my strength workouts will that percentage of body fat go down?

While I'm working on a goal weight wise, I also want to make sure that I'm losing fat as opposed to muscle - I want a toned look when I'm finished, not a wasted away emaciated look. What should I be aiming for as a fat percentage? I was thinking 20% or so...

Replies

• ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    I do cardio and weight training. Go by measurements and pictures.... I just made my collage and didn't realize the changes before. You will get there!!! Keep on Keeping on :)
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a combination of circuit training and daily cardio. Walking running and biking. I also wouldn't weigh myself so often. The scale in the anti-christ..lol. I haven't weighed myself consistently in 4 years or so. I let my doc weigh me. When i stopped weighing myself i started focusing on what my body needed versus being stressed over my weight. There are people who weigh the same as you but maybe their body fat is 20 or 25%. You weigh the same but your bodies are different. Eating healthy and often at least 6 times a day is the key however. Make sure you have your fruits, veges and stay away from the salt.
  • ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    I would suggest a combination of circuit training and daily cardio. Walking running and biking. I also wouldn't weigh myself so often. The scale in the anti-christ..lol. I haven't weighed myself consistently in 4 years or so. I let my doc weigh me. When i stopped weighing myself i started focusing on what my body needed versus being stressed over my weight. There are people who weigh the same as you but maybe their body fat is 20 or 25%. You weigh the same but your bodies are different. Eating healthy and often at least 6 times a day is the key however. Make sure you have your fruits, veges and stay away from the salt.

I agree with eating clean. I also eat clean and I feel so much better.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    20% is an excellent goal! I also have a BF% scale, but they can be a bit quirky. But, just use it as a guide as you're looking for a downward trend. I'm not sure what increments yours measures in. My measures BF in 0.1% increments. Just be patient, it will go down eventually.

YES, do strength training. I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY (did I mention Highly?) recommend a book called "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuler. It's about $10. An easy read, very informative and it clearly lays out some awesome, doable strength training work-outs. Check out reviews on Amazon.com.

I had NEVER lifted before and started with this book and it has worked WONDERS for me.

In addition, doing HIIT a couple times a week and a very clean diet with lots of water drinking will also help you achieve (and maintain) your dream goal! You can do it. Just be persistent and patient and never give up!!!!
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options

Thanks! I need to weigh myself often to keep me motivated. I've got a long way to go so I need to stay motivated to get there.
  • Mentzerj
    Mentzerj Posts: 44
    Options
    20% is pretty fit for women if I recall correctly - if you haven't seen this link before, I found it helpful when I came across it on these forums the first time:

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages

And I read this article on another site recently, just thought it was neat - if you haven't seen it you'd probably enjoy it too keeping with your goal of preserving lean mass:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Yes - to make sure you build muscle - and not lose it through this process you need to up your weight training - and really work it - challenge yourself.....

I see so many girls in the gym with "barbie weights" - that is not going to do the job!!

If you can get Lou Schuler's book New Rules of Lifting for Woman - best money I have spent in a while......

I have been weight training 2 to 3 times a week since day dot of my journey - and now after a year as more of the fat dissapears I am very happy with the muscle definition that is starting to show - I worked dang hard for it so good to start seeing it at last :-)
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Honestly, Body fat loss is more about how and what you eat, rather that how and what you do at the gym. If you don't eat properly, no amount of strength training or cardio will do much for your changes.

You are losing both however since your %age is staying the same despite seeing a drop on the scale.

What you want to do is increase your lean proteins to help maintain your lean mass while you're reducing your calories. As well, try to choose your carbs from either whole foods and/or fibrous vegetable servings. Avoid refined or processed items whenever possible.

A healthy/normal body fat range for women is between 18-26%. Anything about 32% is to be of concern. That being said...the acurracy of the home based scales vary immensely, however they can give you a rough guide to see how you're changing overall.

If you'd like some references for all the above and tips on how to eat properly for fat loss, I would be happy to guide you in the right direction.

Cheers,
  • youngmum
    youngmum Posts: 114
    Options
    This is from wikipedia but I think it is helpful for creating goals.

Description Women Men
    Essential fat 10–13% 2–5%
    Athletes 4–20% 6–13%
    Fitness 21–24% 14–17%
    Average 25–31% 18–24%
    Obese 32%+ 25%+

Eg First goal to get under 31% and into the average zone, second goal to get under 24% and into the fitness zone. I don't know whether you would want to go into athletes zone or not, it depends on you and what your personal goals are. If you want to become an athlete than go for that, but if you want to get pregnant be careful not to lose too much fat because fertility is better within the fit/average zone.
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a caliper test at a gym to get your true BF%.
  • lovinglife71
    lovinglife71 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I also quit weighing myself! It just seemed the more I worked out the more I would weigh, but I would be stronger and firmer. Also i can't even imagine how a scale can measure your body fat!!
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    I shared an article earlier today on the secrets to fat loss.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/322522-5-questions-for-fat-loss
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Honestly, Body fat loss is more about how and what you eat, rather that how and what you do at the gym. If you don't eat properly, no amount of strength training or cardio will do much for your changes.

You are losing both however since your %age is staying the same despite seeing a drop on the scale.

What you want to do is increase your lean proteins to help maintain your lean mass while you're reducing your calories. As well, try to choose your carbs from either whole foods and/or fibrous vegetable servings. Avoid refined or processed items whenever possible.

I agree with this poster. The chemical reaction that burns fatty acids also requires amino acids, which your body gets from protein. If you don't eat enough protein, your body harvests that protein from what it already has: your muscles. So if you want to maximize fat-burning and minimize muscle loss, increase your protein intake. I would alter your carb-fat-protein ratios 'til you find what works best for you. Don't worry about getting too much protein: unless you have some kind of preexisting liver or kidney damage, eating lots of protein will not hurt you a bit. I am hyperinsulinemic, and under doctor's orders I try to eat at least 350g protein a day. I wouldn't recommend a normal person to go that high, but it certainly won't hurt you to experiment with more protein in your diet.

Last time my doctor checked, he said the 32 lbs I've lost so far are all fat and water weight, and I've actually gained a pound of muscle. Just from the dietary change; I haven't changed my activity level a bit.

Good luck to you!
  • Dealight
    Options
    I was a member at a gym in my former pre-kid life, and at that time the standard goal was between 25 and 28 for a very toned healthy body, so maybe aim for that? You are right, as you increase muscle mass your fat percentage should go down for two reasons: More muscle means fat is being burned more efficiently, and secondly the extra cardio/strength training to get said muscle should burn up fat too. So keep working on it and you'll see the progress you are looking for!