8 Pounds Down in 20 Days, Is That Good?

Options
mithion
mithion Posts: 78 Member
edited January 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I am 36 y/o, 5"10 and 20 days ago I weighed 198, this morning I was 190. 8 Pounds in 20 days. I have done it with a combination of following a 90 day fitness program from www.darebee.com, getting at least 10K steps every day, tracking all my food and exercise with MFP and eating healthier. I also do an intermittent fast for 16 hours every 4 days and do dumbbell workouts twice a week.

Does this seem like good progress? Am I on the right path?

Replies

• mithion
    Options
    Goal weight is 165-170
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Yeah with 25lbs to lose 1lb/week is the safe maximum. With 15-20 or fewer, 0.5lbs/week. Too aggressive a deficit and your body will start to burn muscle along with the fat.
  • mithion
    Options
    So to add more detail to my specific fitness journey- I normally sit around 182-186 with a terrible diet and basically no exercise but with an average of 12 to 14K steps a day just from my job. I spent about 10-11 weeks doing nothing but sitting on a couch and eating terrible and went form my average 184ish up to 198. I believe that I will somewhat easily lose this weight and plateau around 180. If was was an avarge 184 with terrible diet and no exercise getting back down to 184 should be relatively easy. Getting from 180 down to 165-170 will be my real challenge IMO
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    Options
    14k steps is in the realm of MFP's very active setting. Take that into account if you're telling the app you're sedentary.

Once you get to your goal weight what are your plans for the rest of the year?

You're not in a race.

Even if a lot of your swing both ways (up during Christmas and down now) was water weight... extreme changes to eating and activity often tend to prove too extreme to stick around for long... take it easy and look to what changes you can adopt long term...
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    jcrisaf702 wrote: »
    Very good progress. I did read a few articles that say to keep the weight off it is best to go at a slower pace say 1-3 pounds per week.

The two have an indirect relationship. Losing weight at a slower pace isn’t what keeps the weight off, it has more to do with the fact that those who lose slowly often times develop more sustainable, long term habits than those who lose at an aggressive rate.

I just realized you said 1-3 lbs per WEEK. No, no, no... that’s not a slow pace for someone that doesn’t have 100+ lbs to lose.
  • mithion
    Options
    My goal is to stay around 165-170 and begin more weight lifting workouts. I don't want to be a bodybuilder by any means just look fit and feel good.
  • nk9o
    nk9o Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    At 270 lbs and have lost 40 lbs over the last 4 months. Averaging 10 lbs a month as discussed with my nutritionist that thinks thats fantastic.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    mithion wrote: »
    I am 36 y/o, 5"10 and 20 days ago I weighed 198, this morning I was 190. 8 Pounds in 20 days. I have done it with a combination of following a 90 day fitness program from www.darebee.com, getting at least 10K steps every day, tracking all my food and exercise with MFP and eating healthier. I also do an intermittent fast for 16 hours every 4 days and do dumbbell workouts twice a week.

Does this seem like good progress? Am I on the right path?

I believe your weight loss in the next 30 days will be more indicative and what you’ll likely experience in your journey. Of course, this assumes your discipline remains stellar. If it is, my bet is you’ll experience additional weight loss of 5.5 to 7.0 lbs. per month. We’re somewhat close in similarity. FWIW, through today, my loss is 27.3 lbs. in 131 days with loss in last 30 days of 8.2 lbs. The loss does slow down ad you get closer to your destination.

I’m privately cheering for you.

• nk9o
    nk9o Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    nk9o wrote: »
    At 270 lbs and have lost 40 lbs over the last 4 months. Averaging 10 lbs a month as discussed with my nutritionist that thinks thats fantastic.

At 270 pounds your 70lbs heavier than OP though.

True
  • mithion
    Options
    Please read my second post in this thread, I believe it will add more insight to my specific weight loss situation. I think that my loss from 198 down to around 184ish will be very fast and easy. Once I get BACK DOWN to around 184ish I feel like the loss will slow down quite a bit.