Will losing 10 lb really take that long for a petite women?

Options
2»

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,395 Member
    Options
    I do nothing but bodyweight workouts, and what I've achieved with that is quite remarkable. Look back at the picture at the bottom of the previous page. I look like that when I work out properly. Ok, I have a much wider pelvis and shoulder bones but that's nothing I could change.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    To be realistic plan for 20 weeks minimum.

As others have stated what your goal is is more aethetic based rather than weight. You can expect to lose .5 lb/week safely at this point, but what you're likely pursuing is increased muscle definition, which will require a progressive resistance program. Start with New Rules of Lifting (NROL) for Women or similar program.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    sedels22 wrote: »
    Everyone is saying recomp, ignoring the fact that you can't exercise just yet.
    Recomp = lose fat + gain muscle.
    You can't do the muscle part if you can't exercise.
    If you are unhappy with your body, I see no problem with just doing the lose fat part right now and gaining the muscle later. Though I agree with whoever said that a full 10 pounds isn't necessary! You are very short so I think going a bit under 1200 would be ok. Just be careful. If you're not feeling well, up it. Also I would definitely still have some days where you do 1200 or over 1200.
    You can't just "lose fat", she will lose muscle as well dieting with no exercise and end up looking skinny fat.

• victoriaxclaire
    victoriaxclaire Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Id personally say try strength training, it will help you build muscle and then you can cut fat
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    fitalie93 wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    fitalie93 wrote: »
    What type of exercise are you doing? For you I would recommend a personal trainer to help you target the specific area you are unhappy with. You are absolutely beautiful and I don't think it's the number on the scale that will make you happy. It's your body and if you are unhappy with something by all means change it/ but in my opinion you do not look overweight or bloated. If you are feeling that way maybe a few diet adjustments and the personal trainer to help reach your goal.

I know I'm not overweight (I lost 25 pounds already) but I felt my best at 95 pounds. When I gain weight it goes all to my waist and legs/butt which I don't feel good about at all. I was never super skinny, even at 95 pounds, I was just slim and had a nice waist. I definitely want to start weight lifting and also dancing, but I won't be able to exercise until the end of February/early March.

Given your stats if you lose 10 lbs really fast with no exercise (resistance training) you are likely to lose a lot of muscle and likely will end up looking "skinny fat."

But I don't get it, I used to weigh 95 pounds and looked great and I never used to work out a lot, maybe 1-2 times a week some cardio. If I was able to look good then, why shouldn't I lose 10 pounds to get back to 95?

When we lose weight, we lose fat AND muscle. You don't want a higher body fat % at this point, you want a lower one.

Muscle is firm and tight.....fat is not. 10 pounds lighter thru an aggressive weekly goal, just cardio and no strength training is a recipe for a higher body fat % than when you started.

Look at the photos above (kshama2001)......strength training and hanging onto (or adding) lean muscle is the answer.
  • IndigoWest
    IndigoWest Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Please don't be scared to eat, especially when you are so close to maintenance anyway, starving yourself now just to see a loss on the scales is counterproductive in the long run and does more harm than good, e.g.. hair loss, grumpiness, fatigue, menstrual disruptions and skin problems.

And, if it helps at all, you have a gorgeous lean looking body already and recomposition is all that you need to look smoking hot!

Also, I am a 5'2 almost 40yo Female and I refuse to eat below 1600 calories per day. On 1600 calories I am actually losing body fat while gaining muscle. Believe me it can be done without sacrificing nutrition, health and sanity.

Wishing you luck, be kind to yourself <3

• crw9384
    crw9384 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is a problem that plagues so many women. They don't like their physique, so they're convinced they need to lose even more weight to get where they want to be. And then they get there, and they're unhappy with what they see. They end up looking like a lighter version of their previous self with the same lumps and bumps, only with less muscle mass because they lost that essential muscle along with the fat. So they may in fact end up not really liking what they see in the end.

Muscle is essential for health. Adding muscle when you're at a healthy weight will change your body composition and physique as you lose fat and gain muscle in its place over time. Muscle really goes a long way with creating the kind of shape you want. Fat loss alone can't necessarily do that when you're already at a healthy weight. I'm 5'1". I lost 70 pounds down to 123-126 range while following a lifting program. I'm thrilled with my body composition and really don't see a need to lose more, plus I can eat a lot more at this weight.

Unless you have a health condition that demands you lose weight right now (I'm guessing not) I would hold off until you can start a progressive lifting program when you can work out again and make that your focus.

zbez4a136o4y.jpg

you look great!

• Jambalady
    Jambalady Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters here on focusing less on losing weight and more on building more lean muscle. I'm also 5 feet and when I was married I was 97 lbs and thought I looked in the best shape of my life. I was definitely not too skinny back then. Now at 44 yrs old, I've been hovering at 116-118 for a few years now. I keeping saying that I want to lose 10 lbs, but for the past 2 years I've been focusing more on strength training (and definitely not to the extent of most of the ladies here who hit the barbell) and working out consistently and I've lost 1 full pants size and my body shape is much different. I'm not fully where I want to be, but I think I would be happy at 110 at this point or even higher depending on how I look after continued training. I'm much less concerned with scale numbers at this point though I do appreciate the mental part of seeing numbers you're not used to seeing.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    This is what people mean by recomp vs weight loss - this is me a few months apart at almost the same weight (I think it was a difference of maybe 3lbs) - 5'2 at roughly 120lbs
    dy4tb9zzybuk.jpg
    zv2mfyin235w.jpg

Seeing as you can't exercise yet, you could have a look at your diet and set yourself a very small deficit (if you're set on losing some weight), then look into focusing on body composition