A Product Called Walden Farms

2»

Replies

• liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    I like the salad dressings, they taste pretty good for no calories.
  • iamrobyn
    iamrobyn Posts: 85
    How in the world do they get ZERO calorie "tomato paste" when a fresh of the vine tomato HAS calories?! Now I have never heard of this company, but I just can't wrap my brain around how they would take ALL the calories out of things that in natural form, have calories...

They can't take the calories out. They just set portion sizes very low, and the amount of calorie-containing ingredients is also somewhat minimal. That way they can claim to be calorie-free, though just like with other nutrition label tricks, you ARE consuming calories - even if you adhere to serving sizes by weight. It's the same reason many eaters of processed foods are consuming trans fat, even if the label says "0 grams." Anything under .5 gram = 0, I guess.

I respectfully am stating that you are wrong. It is calorie free and its not about portion size. I spoke with someone when they contacted me about the coupon and I confirmed this because I am diabetic and need to be concerned about sugar content. This isn't about portion control, they are zero calorie products.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    I respectfully am stating that you are wrong. It is calorie free and its not about portion size. I spoke with someone when they contacted me about the coupon and I confirmed this because I am diabetic and need to be concerned about sugar content. This isn't about portion control, they are zero calorie products.

Then you were lied to. Tomato paste, an ingredient in the "barbecue sauce" and some of the "salad dressings", has calories. The "mayo" contains egg whites, which also have calories. There is no way around that. The labels say 0 calories because if you adhere to the portion size, you are presumably consuming less than a calorie.

As for many other products, you're right: the ingredients are made in a lab to be non-caloric. Sucralose, xantham gum, lactic acid, and the ever cryptic "natural flavor" - calorie free, though I wouldn't call them foods, so your choice of the word product is apt.
  • Jycooper
    Jycooper Posts: 195
    I just heard back from them. Here are the coupon codes for the site. It's buy one get one free and you can do this with up to 5 items as long as you are a first time customer.

http://www.waldenfarms.com/wja

thx bump
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    I've heard a little about the product, but it sounded negative to me. I'd rather have one tablespoon of REALLY good dressing instead of a lot of mediocre stuff.
  • I've tried a few of the products and have ended up throwing them all away. I tried one of the salad dressings and it was okay (I think it was a balsamic dressing), but couldn't compare to the taste of a real or light version - so I just use the real stuff and measure out a tablespoon, which only ends up being, at most, 50 calories, depending on the dressing. I've also tried the chocolate syrup, which I thought was disgusting, and the peanut whip (supposed to be a substitute for peanut butter) - it has a very odd taste that isn't anything like real peanut butter - I just threw most of the jar away. I find that measuring out a portion of the real stuff keeps me a lot more satisfied, and it tastes a whole lot better too!
  • jkliles
    jkliles Posts: 13 Member
    My boyfriend surprised me with the Caesar dressing, which was more watery than the original, but i thought it was really good! I really want to try the pasta sauces, the other salad dressings, mayo, and peanut butter. I am interested in the marshmallow and the jams too. From what i gather from all the posts here the peanut butter is kind of a no go? Has anyone here tried the pasta sauces
  • I have tried the ketchup, it's okay......it's great if you have given up regular ketchup, and use it as substitute.