Calories eaten ar lower than goal calories

Hi! I'm new here and I was wondering if this is fine. I eat less calories than my reccomended and still feel not hungry or dizzy or anything at all and I also hit the gym daily is this normal?

Follow up question:
I'm tryin to lose weight but is it normal not to feel hungry even when on a diet? Or does this affect my attempt to.lose weight?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    how much lower and how often?

i work to my weekly goal, as i 'save' calories at the start of the week for the weekend, so i am under some days and over on others.
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    That depends on how much less than your goal you're eating. If it's 50-100kcal it hardly matters but if you're being told you should eat 1700kcal and you're eating 900kcal then yes, that's probably going to become an issue. Some people (my dad for example) don't seem to suffer much day to day while dieting but he did have a lot more muscle loss than he should have when he finished losing weight and should probably have done so slower. Just because you're not dizzy (you should never be so hungry you're dizzy) doesn't mean you aren't possibly doing yourself harm.

It's not a requirement to be hungry though. The only thing that affects weight loss is the calories in/ calories out balance. I would be careful that you're eating as much as you think you are though, if you're not using a food scale to weigh your food accurately you can very easily be eating a lot more than you'd think. Cups and tbsp and pieces and "1 medium" leave a lot of room for error.
  • I'm under for almost 500-900 calories. It almost happens daily
  • There are times when i eat 1800 calories (this is what i'm told to eat) but i exercise and burn around 700-900 calories. I have the required "to eat" calories but my remaining is still at 800 beacause of the exercise is that good at all?
  • smolmaus
    I'm under for almost 500-900 calories. It almost happens daily

So how many calories are you eating then? If you provide your height, weight and goals we can probably be more help to you outside of generalities.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member

Very likely unhealthy. MFP gives you what to eat TO LOOSE WEIGHT. going below that significantly and every day is not healthy or safe. some may even out over a week. or if you are like 50 under that's one thing. but 500-900 is a significant amount

what are your stats? (height, weight, how much do you have to loose)?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    There are times when i eat 1800 calories (this is what i'm told to eat) but i exercise and burn around 700-900 calories. I have the required "to eat" calories but my remaining is still at 800 beacause of the exercise is that good at all?

how are you calculating those calories burnt?
  • ralphbaileygotiangco02
    ralphbaileygotiangco02 Posts: 18 Member
    edited January 2019
    There are times when i eat 1800 calories (this is what i'm told to eat) but i exercise and burn around 700-900 calories. I have the required "to eat" calories but my remaining is still at 800 beacause of the exercise is that good at all?

I have a fitband which tracks my loss.
    It has this "exercise" mode it tracks your heart rate, burnt calories, duration of exercise"
  • ralphbaileygotiangco02
    ralphbaileygotiangco02 Posts: 18 Member
    edited January 2019
    Panini911 wrote: »

Very likely unhealthy. MFP gives you what to eat TO LOOSE WEIGHT. going below that significantly and every day is not healthy or safe. some may even out over a week. or if you are like 50 under that's one thing. but 500-900 is a significant amount

what are your stats? (height, weight, how much do you have to loose)?

I"m
    168cm
    80kg
    Goal of weight is 69kg
    I have an active lifestyle
    I want to lose 1kg a week if possible and the app set my "to eat" calories at 1820
  • Panini911
    edited January 2019
    And you entered that in your profile? including loosing 2lb/week? and MFP gave you 1820? then eat 1820 calories a day. that is how the app works, if gives you the calories to eat based on the information entered (gender, height, starting weight, amount to loose, activity level).

You are 5'5 and want to loose about 44lb. you can probably loose 1kgish a week for a few weeks but then you are best to transition to slower rate of loss to ensure overall health (not lose muscle).

you don't get extra points for under eating and there can be significant impacts to your health.
  • smolmaus

It has this "exercise" mode it tracks your heart rate, burnt calories, duration of exercise"

Depending on what brand you use, these can overestimate calories burned significantly. From a very very quick calc a person of your size would burn about 900kcal running just over 10k (using generally accepted estimates, running is one thing where the calories can be estimated fairly well). I don't know what exercise you normally do but that's a ballpark
  • Panini911 wrote: »
    And you entered that in your profile? including loosing 2lb/week? and MFP gave you 1820? then eat 1820 calories a day. that is how the app works, if gives you the calories to eat based on the information entered (gender, height, starting weight, amount to loose, activity level).

You are 5'5 and want to loose about 44lb. you can probably loose 1kgish a week for a few weeks but then you are best to transition to slower rate of loss to ensure overall health (not lose muscle).

you don't get extra points for under eating and there can be significant impacts to your health.

So everything is fine as long as I eat 1800 calories a day? Even if there are still about 800 calories remaining. Like for today I already ate 1721 calories and like i said i have a calorie limit of 1820 but i exercised for 784 calories and now I have a remaining of 883 calories. So should I start to eat that 883 or it's ok to let this pass?
  • smolmaus wrote: »

Depending on what brand you use, these can overestimate calories burned significantly. From a very very quick calc a person of your size would burn about 900kcal running just over 10k (using generally accepted estimates, running is one thing where the calories can be estimated fairly well). I don't know what exercise you normally do but that's a ballpark

I have a mi band 3 it's pretty accurate based on my experience and from other review i've read about my fitband
  • Panini911
    edited January 2019
    ok added exercise you eat back. sorry i missed that in your post. you can start by eating back half the exercise because as mentioned above, they calories estimated are often high.

so i would have eaten 1820+ (785x50%)= 2212 calories that day.
  • Panini911 wrote: »
    ok added exercise you eat back. sorry i missed that in your post. you can start by eating back half the exercise because as mentioned above, they calories estimated are often high.

so i would have eaten 1820+ (785x50%)= 2212 calories that day.

THANK YOU THIS IS VERY VERY HELPFUL! THANKS EVERYONE!!
  • Panini911
    If you’re wearing your fitband all the time it’s likely taking into account your daily movement (which mfp has already accounted for when your chose ‘sedentary, active etc’).
    You should only be eating back intentional exercise calories - and even then most things over estimate so start by eating back half of your intentional exercise calories and work out from there if it’s enough based on loss/energy levels.

If you use a tdee calculator to play with it might give you a better grasp of the numbers :-)

yes but depends. I use a fitbit. at a certain amount of steps/calories MFP adds exercise calories because I am walking more than what I set in my profile (actually, every day).

when I ran I often ignored the Fitbit exercise calories and just ate back my run calories.

but absolutely it's important to ensure we understand how they all integrate and settings.