2 pounds down!

Options
I stared counting my calories starting January 3rd and I weighted myself today and I am down 2 pounds. I was honestly hoping I would drop more the first week. Does that sound good or do I need to lower my cals? I’ve heard people usually drop more than that the first week.

Replies

• SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    That’s excellent!!!! Be very happy. 2 pounds is actually very aggressive depending on your weight. What are your current stats? Height, weight?
  • arilukaszewicz1
    arilukaszewicz1 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    That’s excellent!!!! Be very happy. 2 pounds is actually very aggressive depending on your weight. What are your current stats? Height, weight?

Thank you, I am 5’7 and was 230 now I am 228 pounds.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Thank you, I am 5’7 and was 230 now I am 228 pounds.

that's a good start
  • stricklee11
    stricklee11 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! I am in the same boat. Loss 2.4 lbs since Jan 3. It's very encouraging indeed since I gained weight during the holiday season! What is your daily calories goal as calculated by MFP? I'm asking since you are 5'7 and I'm 5'9.
  • LuciBThinner
    LuciBThinner Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Great start! I think people losing larger amounts in the beginning are just losing water weight which is temporary. I believe losing weight slowly has been proven to be more effective than fast loss. Keep up the good work!
  • caindove11
    caindove11 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    That is great for your first week. Good job!
  • arilukaszewicz1
    arilukaszewicz1 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone ! My calorie goal is 2100
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    It's best not to make changes to what you're doing based on one datapoint, weight is not static, you fluctuate constantly, this is particularly true for women who are as well as all other things are at the mercy of hormonal water weight changes.

You will be better to look at the trend over a full menstrual cycle, that said at your start weight 2lbs per week is about the maximum you should be expecting to lose, you may lose a little more as you start out because you lose a bit more water weight when you first make changes to diet.

pnx2oi6vmq00.jpg

• Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    2 lbs is good!

Yes, some people have a bigger drop at the start but not everyone. I didn’t. Some people even see the scale spike up a bit.