Steps and Exercise

Options
Just starting out again but I'm wondering about how many steps you need to have taken in a day to get any kind of adjustment in calories for exercise. The steps I've taken show up in the app but under exercise it still always shows 0.

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    what activity level did you pick?
  • FLBeachluvr
    FLBeachluvr Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It was set to lightly active but right now I don't do much exercise. Maybe that's the issue. I'll change it to not very active.
  • kdz526
    kdz526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have a goal of 10k steps a day. Depending on how busy I get at work it will log some of it as excersize. I routinely hit my 10k, but there is a 100 to 300 calorie variance that happens depending on how many flights of stairs and how much of it actually got my heart rate up. Usually i start to get an adjustment around 7500 steps.
  • FLBeachluvr
    Options
    kdz526 wrote: »
    I have a goal of 10k steps a day. Depending on how busy I get at work it will log some of it as excersize. I routinely hit my 10k, but there is a 100 to 300 calorie variance that happens depending on how many flights of stairs and how much of it actually got my heart rate up. Usually i start to get an adjustment around 7500 steps.

What activity level do you have set?

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    keharty wrote: »
    It was set to lightly active but right now I don't do much exercise. Maybe that's the issue. I'll change it to not very active.

Lightly active tends to require about 6000 steps on my device before I get an adjustment.
  • FLBeachluvr
    Options

Lightly active tends to require about 6000 steps on my device before I get an adjustment.

Then that would explain it. I haven't been getting 6000 steps. Working on improving that but I'll change it to not very active.
  • kdz526
    kdz526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit and i think its set to sedentary.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I'm set for sedentary and I think it starts giving me calories at about 5000. I usually get 8 - 10 thousand a day and I get about 135 calories. It depends on how much you weigh too because before I lost weight I got alot more calories for those steps, lol.
  • MarieRosekenji85
    MarieRosekenji85 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to lightly active and get about 10k to 13k on more active days of steps.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Just starting out again but I'm wondering about how many steps you need to have taken in a day to get any kind of adjustment in calories for exercise. The steps I've taken show up in the app but under exercise it still always shows 0.

You're only going to get additional calories when your actual activity level exceeds the activity level you have selected in MFP...otherwise you would be double dipping.