Dieting for a picky eater??

Options
Hi, I need to lose about 50 pounds but I am such a picky eater, I dont like many vegetables. Any hacks?

Replies

• BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    The obvious thing (though probably not a 'hack') is to use seasoning, or cheese (which does wonders for broccoli).

I like potatoes, but I eat them Baked with hot sauce. I'm weird like that though.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    eat what you do like eating, just in smaller portions
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    weight loss isn't about special foods or even healthy eating.

eat at a calorie deficit (eat fewer calories than your body uses over time). that's it.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat vegetables, BUT the advantages are numerous. You can eat high volume for fewer calories and they have vitamins and minerals. So--it's your decision. You can pick a couple and look up recipes and try to get used to them or go without.
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat vegetables if you don't want to, not to lose weight anyway. They're generally bulky for the amount of calories they have so it's a good way to boost the volume of your meals which is why they're usually recommended. You can continue eating as you normally do and just adjust portion sizes until it fits your goals.

Having said that, most vegetables do their best work with a little bit of olive oil (as little as possible ideally), seasoning and a hot oven until you can get a fork through them.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    Hi, I need to lose about 50 pounds but I am such a picky eater, I dont like many vegetables. Any hacks?

Eat whatever you want, just eat less. Count calories, weigh your foods on a digital scale, use this app - it's a good resource - read the sticky posts
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Eat the food you like in more appropriate portions. Log everything and stick to your calorie deficit goal that MFP gave you.
    Without knowing what you do eat it is hard to be more specific than that.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    How much do you have to lose?
    Strategies vary.

Maintaining now, to my mind, I eat a lot. Vegetables are a big help in that. To lose 100 lbs I had to go through a number of different phases. My eating has changed a lot from where I started, but not all at once.

At one point I had to almost choke down oatmeal. Can’t wait to get at it now. As pointed out, veggies aren’t required, but they are helpful. If you find they aren’t for you at all, there are other ways.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    apparently all our common sense advice is woo...
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

Really hoping this is a case where the person doesn't know what the "woo" button is for :/

Eat what you like. If you want to try to incorporate more veggies, you can say so and I'm sure folks will have some good strategies for you :)
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

Really hoping this is a case where the person doesn't know what the "woo" button is for :/

Eat what you like. If you want to try to incorporate more veggies, you can say so and I'm sure folks will have some good strategies for you :)

i hope soo too....lol
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

I've seen it in a bunch of threads, weird!

OP, you say you don't like "many" veggies. So first, eat the ones you do like. Then try preparing veggies different ways - raw, stir fry with some sauce, roast (this almost always works!), top with tomato sauce and a little parmesan cheese, grill, etc. You can also chop/slice veggies small and add to rice, chili, soup, casseroles etc.

But putting aside the benefits of eating more produce, you just have to hit your calorie goal to lose weight, regardless of what you do or don't eat. Good luck!
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options

I'm also a picky eater, both texture and taste (supertaster). As mentioned above, vegetables are not necessary for weight loss, but I found them very helpful for satiety, so helpful for weight loss (and maintenance). Not to mention they are nutritionally dense, so may help in other areas tangentially related to weight loss (stomach issues, sleep, etc.). Are there any fruits/vegetables that you know you like already? Start with those. Just eat them more often.

For me, I eat a lot of raw carrots, apples, and/or pears/strawberries/red grapes (when in season) daily as snacks. Adding things like peanut butter to carrots or apples or whipped cream to the strawberries helps if I'm looking to make them a bit heartier or more appealing. I add mixed greens/spinach to my sandwiches and will go through phases of eating salads. I also go through phases of making smoothies, usually with frozen blueberries, strawberries, and greens. I like steamed broccoli and green beans, but I had to work on the steaming, especially with the broccoli. If I steam them too long (too mushy) or too short (too bitter), they make me gag. I discovered it helps to add garlic and Parmesan to steamed veggies. I also go through quite a bit of marinara sauce.

Occasionally I'll try a new veggie or different preparation method for veggies I've already tried. Or I'll try something I didn't like 10 years ago to see if my tastes have changed. This hasn't led to too much significant change, but did lead to me discovering I love strawberries, but only if they're fresh, and raw red cabbage (which I keep meaning to get to put on sandwiches and salads, but keep forgetting).

So it's good to keep an open mind and remember you don't *have* to eat anything you don't want to. This was difficult for me mentally, to let go of being forced/forcing myself to eat things I don't like because they're "good for you". Not to mention I still occasionally get comments from people about my eating habits.
  • cariwaldick
    cariwaldick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    When I started, I didn't like many veggies either. I mean, they were okay, but I'd never choose them. Losing weight and getting healthy, my tastes have changed. I love fruits and veggies now, and even eat Chinese food--which I hated before. I still don't care for salads, but that's because iceberg lettuce is boring, and really needs something to wake it up. I also stopped salting my food, and only use it if I can't choke it down otherwise.

If you do eat salad, get your favorite dressing on the side. Dip your fork, rather than pour it on top. This way you'll use much less, and save those calories. I eat maybe a teaspoon of dressing, rather than the full serving size. The same works for cheese sauce and broccoli. A little goes a long way. Eat what you like, and don't be afraid to experiment with others. I now love pumpkin soup, roasted squash, caramelized onions, edamame, sauteed mushrooms, and any vegetable prepared with Indian seasonings.

Fruits are also great. If you don't want broccoli, try blueberries. They've got more carbs and sugar, but they're still great choices.

Oh, and what does Woo mean?
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

Oh, and what does Woo mean?

An idea or belief unsubstantiated by science.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10623894/the-origin-and-meaning-of-woo/p1
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    If you want to ingest more veggies they're easy to hide in things like smoothies. Lots of good recipes and ideas online. Smoothies also allow you to "hide" sources of protein like hemp seeds, eggs, greek yogurt etc. that can also be difficult for picky eaters. If you don't, you've gotten good advice above though on eating smaller portions.