Wow - That had how MANY calories (healthy foods) ?!!?

Options
dashagrr
dashagrr Posts: 43 Member
edited January 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Piggybacking on my favorite thread here. What healthy foods surprised you as being high calorie/unfilling? For me, it's guacamole ( which I love). It's supposed to be a healthier alternative to sour cream, but one tbsp = 30 calories (Wholly Guacamole Classic), full fat sour cream=24 calorie. Another one is hummus, I can't stop until I've eaten at least half a pack, which can be 200 to 300 calories. And I want more!

Replies

• xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    1 pork sausage is 190cal. I had 2 but wanted another & I was out of available calories so I didn't have a third... lol

Glad I checked instead of assuming...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    dashagrr wrote: »
    Piggybacking on my favorite thread here. What healthy foods surprised you as being high calorie/unfilling? For me, it's guacamole ( which I love). It's supposed to be a healthier alternative to sour cream, but one tbsp = 30 calories (Wholly Guacamole Classic), full fat sour cream=24 calorie. Another one is hummus, I can't stop until I've eaten at least half a pack, which can be 200 to 300 calories. And I want more!

In terms of nutrition, it's going to have an all around better profile than sour cream...but healthy doesn't really have anything to do with calories...avocado is a really good source of healthy monounsaturated fat as well as other vitamins and minerals. There are a number of foods that are full of all kinds of good nutrients that are high calorie...nuts and nut butters come to mind.
  • dashagrr
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

In terms of nutrition, it's going to have an all around better profile than sour cream...but healthy doesn't really have anything to do with calories...avocado is a really good source of healthy monounsaturated fat as well as other vitamins and minerals. There are a number of foods that are full of all kinds of good nutrients that are high calorie...nuts and nut butters come to mind.

I get that guacamole may have a healthier nutritional profile, but what I am saying it has a lower fullness factor to me (satiation to calorie count ratio).
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Oh lots..

peanut butter or any nut butter in general
    nuts
    olive oil
    dates
  • dashagrr
    Options
    Interesting chart... bxr8o5ry5etj.png
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Granola, and some brands are basically candy in disguise.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options

Interesting to see my obese aunt lives on all of the lowest foods. (All she eats is ice cream, bread, croissants, and yogurt. She complains she is always hungry and that is why she can't lose weight. (But refuses to try eating a larger volume of vegetables and lean meat instead)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I would say nuts and seeds
  • azzeazsaleh5429
    azzeazsaleh5429 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I cut out diet pepsi which is zero calories. I dont crave sweets no more
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,440 Member
    Options

Interesting to see my obese aunt lives on all of the lowest foods. (All she eats is ice cream, bread, croissants, and yogurt. She complains she is always hungry and that is why she can't lose weight. (But refuses to try eating a larger volume of vegetables and lean meat instead)

I eat lots of bread, and have oats with skyr and fruit for breakfast. It keeps me very full for a decent amount of time. Something fatty or higher in protein would not. If I ate much more bread, because it's so delicious (just think of a freshly baked baguette from an actual baker!) additionally then I would gain weight.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,440 Member
    Options
    I cut out diet pepsi which is zero calories. I dont crave sweets no more

I have the same experience. I don't know if it's really a craving for more candy or a feeling of 'I'm having a soft drink so I might as well have a bag of crisps' kind of thing. Or I revert to soft drinks (be it a diet drink) when I don't feel well and eat lots of candy anyway. But not drinking diet soft drinks certainly does something. Not sure what though.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Nuts
    Olive oil
    Protein bars
    "Breakfast" biscuits
    Breakfast shakes
    Avocado
    Smoothies

^ all things that have been marketed as healthy, and yet so often they are not worth the calories to me.

Biggest con for me has to be the breakfast biscuits. Aka just a biscuit with different packaging. And yet somehow this is marketed as a healthier breakfast choice. Healthier than what? Literally eating a bag of sugar?
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Protein bars. I am never hard up enough on protein to waste 250kcal on three mouthfuls.
    guacamole

Same, and tbh I'm going to eat way more guac than I would sour cream.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    edited January 2019
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

I eat lots of bread, and have oats with skyr and fruit for breakfast. It keeps me very full for a decent amount of time. Something fatty or higher in protein would not. If I ate much more bread, because it's so delicious (just think of a freshly baked baguette from an actual baker!) additionally then I would gain weight.

I eat a lot of bread too and find it satisfying, but those items are literally ALL she eats and she eats too much of them and says she cannot count calories or eat less because of being always hungry.

I was just surprised that the top non satiating foods happen to be the 3 things she happens to be obsessed with and compromise 95% of her diet. (unlike most who eat all of them but alongside other things) She eats toast, pastry, and yogurt for meals, cereal for breakfast, and multiple bowls of ice cream all day long, with no real "meals")