30 Day Shred QUESTION

Options
I searched and there are a lot of 30DS topics, but nothing answering my specific questions, so...

First off, I'm 5'3", 210 lbs and out of shape, as in not exercising at all. Is this going to be some ridiculously hard crap like P90X that I can't even do half of it, or does it have different levels like a lot of the Biggest Loser workout DVDs?

Also, do I need anything besides the DVD to do it, ie. weights, resistance bands etc.?

TIA.

Replies

• olpbabe
    olpbabe Posts: 89
    Options
    I am had pretty much the starting stats as you, and I could do it! Now, it is hard the first couple of days because your body is not used to it, but it soon gets easier. There are 3 different levels. And yes, you do need some weights, I use 3 lb ones, and maybe a yoga type mat because you get down on the floor for some stuff. Hope I answered your questions! :)
  • Chris_bee05
    Chris_bee05 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am had pretty much the starting stats as you, and I could do it! Now, it is hard the first couple of days because your body is not used to it, but it soon gets easier. There are 3 different levels. And yes, you do need some weights, I use 3 lb ones, and maybe a yoga type mat because you get down on the floor for some stuff. Hope I answered your questions! :)

Ok great. I have 3lb weights because I have Biggest Loser Bootcamp and Cardio Max Weight Loss which both require weights. I just want to make sure it's not too complicated. My husband does P90X and I've seen some of it and half that stuff I couldn't even do even if I WAS in shape LOL
  • olpbabe
    olpbabe Posts: 89
    Options
    Ha, no, Level 1 is "easy" stuff, like push-ups, bicep curls, lunges, butt kicks, jumping jacks, crunches, etc. Nothing complicated and definitely not like what I heard p90x is!
  • courtskey83
    Options
    I found it to be pretty intense cardio wise, but I think that is because my other dvds are more kickboxing type and not full blown jumping jacks/jump rope stuff. You can do it though. If you get winded, just take a breather and jump back in. Since it is short, you can push through it. :)
  • methetree
    methetree Posts: 381
    Options
    I did Ripped in 30 first, and it's harder, but I was able to do it ( and I am heavy and out of shape, just taller than you )

I am doing 30 Day Shred now and it's not too bad. Jillian is more motivational in Ripped, and she says it doesn't have to be perfect, just concentrate on form and giving the best effort you can. You will get stronger and better at the exercises.

Just need some weights, although if you can't do it with weights at first, don't stress.... Do what you can and with every day you get stronger.

I started out not being able to do the damn push ups... so struggled on my knees and felt silly (in Ripped... ) ... now in 30 Day Shred I do half of my push ups on my toes and the other half on my knees...

Just give it a try, it's only 20 minutes out of your day...
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I have 30DS and P90X... i just started 30DS (on day 5) and it is wayyyyyy better than P90x!!

with P90x, i was like " UGH an hour??!! every day?!? for 90 days??" - it was hard for me make that kind of commitment - plus, i was soo sore every day...

NOW WITH 30DS...

it's like this... "It's ONLY 20-25 minutes a day!! (i can squeeze that in my schedule somewhere!) It is only 30 days!! (i tell myself i can do anything for a month!!)"

and yes there are different levels... 1, 2, and 3.. typically you do the first 10 days at level 1.. second 10 days at level 2.. etc. but if you are just starting out - once you finished level 1, if you felt that you weren't ready to move to level 2.. then you could always just stay at level 1 for a few more days or something!

I think it is very doable and from what i have seen there has been great success! (but then again i can't say too much b/c i am only on day 5 so far!!)
    good luck!
  • Chris_bee05
    Chris_bee05 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies and support everyone!! I just ordered it from Wal-Mart.com so it should be here in a few days!! Ahh!! I plan on doing before and after measurements and pics, so hopefully I see some results!!
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    The best parts about the 30DS are the circuits and levels. Yes, the first few days of each level suck, but that's because you probably haven't used those muscles in forever. But, if you stick with it, it gets easier. Just as it gets easier, boom! you move to the next level!

I tried P90X three times now and just can't get into it. Jillian will yell and you (and yes, you will want to punch her in the face), but's not as crazy as P90X.

I would suggest a mat if you're working out on the floor. The push ups can be brutal on your hands if you don't have a mat. My other suggestion would be to use a heart rate monitor (with any exercise) - it gives the most accurate reading.