Remembering to make healthier choices

Options
Hey all! I was just wondering how you remember to eat healthier. I find that I get up in the morning with good intentions, but before I know it I'm half way through the day and I've been eating whatever I want. When I'm at school I can just throw out my unhealthy snacks, but when I'm at home with my family I can't really do that. Deep down I wanna lose weight while eating whatever I want and putting in zero effort, but I know that's not going to happen. Any advice would be really appreciated!

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I eat what fits into my calories. Healthy is relative and subjective.
  • CydSteele
    CydSteele Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with that too. Every morning I wake up and think "I've got this!!" and by 2p.m. I only have 200-300 calories left for the day :( In the past what worked was having huge tubs of cut up veggies in the fridge, portioned out dried fruit/nut snacks and pre-measured cooked rice etc in the freezer ready to grab and eat. Each day I just try again.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Start with eating the foods you enjoy, without labeling them, and do so in quantities that fit your calorie allowance. Once you've got that under control then start looking at where you can make improvements. Are you hitting your protein goal? Are you hitting your fat goal? Tweak as needed.

You'll lose weight as long as you're eating within your calories regardless of what foods your eating. Get that set and the rest will follow.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    CydSteele wrote: »
    I'm struggling with that too. Every morning I wake up and think "I've got this!!" and by 2p.m. I only have 200-300 calories left for the day :( In the past what worked was having huge tubs of cut up veggies in the fridge, portioned out dried fruit/nut snacks and pre-measured cooked rice etc in the freezer ready to grab and eat. Each day I just try again.

I don't know if you've tried but pre-logging your day helps a lot of people with this. Eating what they log instead of just logging what they eat.
  • Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    For me, constant grazing is what helps me lose weight.

My other goals are to be as whole food as possible - except treats, like Friday night pizza.

So I do a lot of preplanning.

I am also shooting for 5 fruits and veggies a day. I think having these goals helps me remember. Like it’s only 2 here and I’ve already had a serving a melon, an apple, and 1.5 cups of veggie cabbage soup, so I’ll say that’s 1 serving.

I’ve noticed that since I have moved to whole foods, my taste buds have changed. I used to hate peanut butter. But I had peanut butter and apple slices yesterday and it was awesome!
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging for the day can be helpful. It reminds me that I don't have extra calories for whatever it is that's tempting me. I also log everything before it goes in my mouth which makes me think about if I really want it or not.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Another vote for pre-logging. I may make adjustments during the day, but if I plan it out, those adjustments are usually just because my husband ate all of something and didn't let me know. This is also another vote for setting goals for fruit and veg.

I also carry a protein bar and a serving of seasoned nuts in my backpack. If errands run long or I get the munchies while I am out and about, I have the protein bar instead of making an excuse to go out to eat.

As for family food, in my house, I just tell myself that the chocolates are not mine. I can't have them if I am home alone, because I can't ask permission. By the same token, no one else is allowed to finish off the single serve chocolate pudding without asking me. I have no idea why this works for me, but I know other people accomplish something similar by having the snacky stuff in a separate cupboard.
  • Sira125
    Sira125 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Meal prep/planning. I'm never going to make lunch in the morning, but I can usually manage something at night. A couple times a week I prep refrigerator oats for the next few days. Boiling eggs to have in the fridge for a snack or for lunch isn't hard either. I also do better when I pre-log the day. I'm working on not worrying too much about variety. Trying too many things at once will overwhelm me.
  • StefanieBerger88
    StefanieBerger88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It’s a family effort at my house. I allow my kids to eat sweets in moderation and we never really kept super bad things around the house my thing was just over eating. Now they all get one thing each from the grocery store to last then through the week and I don’t touch their things. Other than that we all eat healthy through the week and maybe have a little extra on the weekend.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I make food rules for myself; like no processed foods, sugar, fried foods or fatty meat. I never go through fast food or buy snacks from a machine.
    If you go out for the day with no healthy meals and snacks packed you will fail. You have to have extreme self control "to fit what you want" into your calories. One meal can do you in for the day. You have to figure it out.