Sushi

Options
Hey everyone! Does anyone have any good suggestions for sushi that are lighter in calories ?

Replies

• joaniebalonie088
    joaniebalonie088 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It is so hard to estimate calories because the amount of rice is variable and all the little sauces and fillings can be deceiving.
    Whenever I try to estimate it is always a ton of calories, so I just try to make sushi a treat to have less than once a month!
    It helps to start with some sashimi and a seaweed salad, so that I am not inhaling so many rolls lol.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I like sashimi over rolls so that is what I usually go for. But I have rice as well.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Jadu786 wrote: »
    Hey everyone! Does anyone have any good suggestions for sushi that are lighter in calories ?

Don't do rolls...just do sashimi or the fish with rice.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,624 Member
    Options
    Do sashimi over plain rice. Sushi rice contains a surprising amount of sugar.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    uuugggghhhhh, now I really want sushi, lol! I may try to fit it in this weekend!
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »

There shouldn't be that much sugar in sushi rice, but then again, it depends on where you get it.

I tend to get chirashi bowl so that I can control how much rice I eat.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm spicy tuna! I usually get a simple, smaller roll and soup or salad. My local place has a squid salad or avocado salad that are delicious!

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Most standard rolls & nigiri are still fairly low calorie (yes- rice is calorie dense, but the portion of rice in most rolls/nigiri is very reasonable).

Watch the sauces. Some use a creamy mayo-based sauce or add cream cheese (the latter isn't as common a thing, but some places do serve a "Philly" roll).

Watch tempura anything (breaded & fried).

Watch the feature rolls. A lot of these have over-the-top fatty, sugary sauces and tempura (breaded & fried) parts.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    If I'm eating at one of those places with a million types of rolls and sauces and stuff (rather than a super-traditional place), I try to go for the mini quarter-sized maki rolls instead of the big ones. Spicy tuna is my favourite as long as it's not full of mayo. The big ones can have so much rice and a lot of them at your standard westernized place will have tempura, mayo, avocado, etc and that adds up fast if you're watching calories.

I usually share an order of salmon and tuna sashimi with my husband and get 8 of the small spicy tuna maki and a seaweed salad or similar. He gets a couple of the big rolls with all the crispy/creamy stuff and I'll steal one or two if I really feel compelled, but normally that's plenty for me.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Poke bowl is more controllable cause you are in charge of what and how much. Taste just like a sushi roll just deconstructed in a bowl.
  • Thisyearismyyear
    Thisyearismyyear Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I usually order chirashi, which is assorted sashimi over rice or 2 simple rolls. I like the tuna, salmon avocado and yellowtail scallion rolls best. Nothing fried and nothing with spicy mayo or sauce drizzled all over. I also try to avoid soy sauce even if it's the low sodium kind.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    If you eat more traditional rolls which are made of plain fish, egg, or vegetable, they don't tend to be high calorie.

I'm a diabetic and even a small amount of rice, about two rolls' worth, is a problem for me, so I ask the chef if he could use less rice and make the rolls smaller. Sushi chefs can be touchy about this sort of thing but when they understand it's a health problem they are usually happy to help. One place has a chef who makes my rolls with half as much rice, and a large amount of shredded cucumber added. Of course I could just order sashimi but I like rolls.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If you normally get multiple rolls, try ordering a lower calorie appetizer like miso soup or seaweed salad, in place of one/more of the rolls.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

It's so good though...

My favorite is sashimi... but it's hard to find GOOD sashimi (it's cut too thick or whatnot), so I often end up just having salmon sushi or salmon maki (sometimes with avocado). Obviously, salmon is my favorite. If there's chirashi, I'll get it though (but again, it's about one cup of sushi rice, so probably over 300 calories right there).

Avoid the stuff with sauces and fried stuff and it's not THAT bad... 350ish calories a roll or something.

People laugh at the 'get a roll without rice' part, but Wegmans sells 'skinny rolls' that have salmon, tuna, avocado, and cucumber in them and are wrapped in rice paper, and they are the bomb for like 180 calories a roll (don't laugh but Wegmans has better sushi than most of the Japanese places around here!).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

... (don't laugh but Wegmans has better sushi than most of the Japanese places around here!).

A fav of ours on 'date nights'. A multi-course meal of seaweed salad, gyoza, sushi/nigiri, slice of Tres leches cake, and wine (have to cross to the other side of the parking lot to another building for that last bit though thanks to NYS liquor laws) while watching a movie.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if I want Sushi, I want the big rolls (I also do sashimi but that doesn't hit the "sushi" craving). So I simply make it a monthly treat. Once a month I let myself order whatever sushi I want (and crab rangoon cause.. well.. I love the stuff dang it).