Transitioning to Veganism/plant based?

Options
2»

Replies

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Burritos and tacos are another easy one to multi-use-he can use taco meat and you can use beans, all the other toppings will be similar, except for the cheese.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    One meal at a time is a great idea. Cooking things that he might want to try (with an alternative for him) alternated with whatever you want/whatever he wants, with just the protein different seem like good ideas.

I also think if you are new to this logging and doing vegetarian first may be good steps, since it is much harder to be vegan than veg in my experience (not that vegan is necessarily hard, but around here it's harder for protein if you aren't experienced, and harder for socializing/restaurants).

I'd also make sure you like a huge variety of vegan foods (like veg), sometimes people who are picky and have a limited diet go vegan and I'm scared about what they will be able to eat.

Definitely experiment with various ethnic cuisines where vegan or vegetarian dishes are more common, like East Asian and Indian.

I totally respect the ethical position, if that's what you are responding to.

He's a little woo-ey at times, but check out the Rich Roll podcast, I enjoy it and he's inspiring.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I bought some things to make it easier like amy"s pad thai and mock chicken and some muesli
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    meeper123 wrote: »
    I plan on doing this with love and kindness which I feel the true soul of vegan is. I don't want to have animal products in my life at all. Plus he is very worried about the cost

Veganism can be really affordable in many parts of the world, especially if you limit the amount of snack/convenience foods marketed especially for vegans. Some of my staples are beans, tofu, grains like rice and oats, pasta, potatoes, canned tomatoes, frozen vegetables, and more affordable fresh vegetables (cabbage, onions, carrots, greens). I also make my own seitan and often make my own cheeses, which helps control costs. I'll supplement this with some pre-made "treats" like vegan butter and mayo, Field Roast sausages, ice cream, and cashew milk, but my day-to-day meals are surprisingly affordable.
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Substituting meat for beans works out a lot cheaper if you bulk buy dried beans. I'm not vegan, I still drink milk for the vitamin b12, but I'm sure you could pull it off with a b12 supplement. Just watch your iron and b12, elemental iron isn't as easy to absorb, you need lots of vitamin c to help it along (unlike haemo iron from meat).