Starting from scratch

Options
I'm a 53 year old Essex woman with about 1.5 stone to lose. My problem is that I'm totally unfit. I did about 15 seconds of speed cycling on an exercise bike and nearly passed out. I walk briskly for 10 minutes at most before my heart feels like it'll explode. Where do I begin when everything is so hard? Has to be at home, I don't have money for a gym or classes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    maybe see a doctor?? if biking for 15 seconds or walking for 10 minutes makes you feel that your heart is going to explode you need to see a doctor.
  • katesplace3
    katesplace3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Yes perhaps I should go for a health check before I try again!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is about eating less calories than your body burns. Perhaps you could concentrate on the diet part of losing weight. While exercise is necessary for overall good health it is not necessary for weight loss. I agree that consulting with a physician for your heart racing after a few minutes of exercise is needed. Best of luck to you.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I also second the walking thing. Just walk slightly fast enough to get your heart rate up a little bit. Go around the block or however much you can handle. Then increase the length reach day.

Also, although exercise is good for general health reasons and body composition, it's not necessary for weightloss. If you eat in a deficit you will lose, even if you aren't active.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Hello Kate. Yes please check out with a dr before you do anything else on the excercise from. I know Essex well what part do you live. I lived on the borders for over 60 years!! Good luck
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    After the ok from the Dr. Any exercise likes of on a bike or walking you should be able to talk or say a few words at a time. If you get to grunting stage back way off. There is no prizes for breaking yourself.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    For weight loss the only thing you need to do is eat at the correct calorie deficit for your goals. You don't have to do any sort of exercise if you find it to difficult at this point. However, I'd also recommend seeing your doctor to make sure you don't have something going on.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Hi and welcome!

The first thing you need to know is that exercise isn't necessary for weight loss. Many find that it helps, but the mantra that's often repeated on here is that: Calorie control for weight loss, exercise for health. If you want to lose weight reduce the number of calories your eating and create a calorie deficit.

If you want to get the health benefits that can be gained from regular exercise, walking is a great way to start. Start with a 10 minute walk at your normal pace. Work your way up for longer and longer walks. Once you're walking for a reasonable length of time, or you're finding it really easy, try increasing your pace. It doesn't need to be a powerwalk, just a faster pace than you were doing before. Then increase the distance/pace. From there you may find it easier to transition to other exercises if you want to, but there's nothing wrong with only walking if that's what you want to do.

And the good news is that as you lose weight, most find that the exercise gets easier.
  • aaliceinw
    aaliceinw Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    maybe see a doctor?? if biking for 15 seconds or walking for 10 minutes makes you feel that your heart is going to explode you need to see a doctor.

1) Start by walking 15 minutes each day outside. The first time, time yourself to see how long you took. Then make your first goal to achieve the more steps in less time for the first week.
    2) Start logging what you eat in the food diary - don’t cheat because you are only cheating yourself
    3) Buy a food scale and start measuring your food. It sounds silly but you will be really surprised at what you are actually eating
    4) Join a challenge and or find someone to share your journey with.
  • katesplace3
    katesplace3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. This is all really good advice. Basically I need to walk before I can run 😊 and see my GP. Small steps! Thank you.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Start out slower and gradually work up to longer times and more vigorous speed.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    My thought is to start eating nutritionally .., give up sugar and bread, Don't just count calories and keep within them.. count them and eat vegetables.. lean meats.. low sugar fruit ,whole grains that are not processed ., Drink water .give up soda. it is amazing how much better you start feeling fast.. and the energy you get,.

Then when you get on a good path and routine.. you can fine tune and start exercising slowly.

Of course if you feel over all weak all the time.. a doctor visit is a good idea.

Unless you're saying that she should say, eat uncooked and unprocessed rice, barley, oats etc - she (and just about everyone else who consumes grains) are going to be eating processed grains. In fact, I can't imagine you'd be getting a lot of nutrition out of unprocessed grains.

Additionally there is no reason, with regards to one's health, to give up any food or food group unless they have an allergy or something like celiac - essentially a diagnosable illness that is adversely affected by a type of food and/or allergen. It's not going to increase or decrease their ability to lose weight. See, for instance, the various posts about how it's very easy to be overweight/obese and vegan.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    My thought is to start eating nutritionally .., give up sugar and bread, Don't just count calories and keep within them.. count them and eat vegetables.. lean meats.. low sugar fruit ,whole grains that are not processed ., Drink water .give up soda. it is amazing how much better you start feeling fast.. and the energy you get,.

Then when you get on a good path and routine.. you can fine tune and start exercising slowly.

Of course if you feel over all weak all the time.. a doctor visit is a good idea.

Think You’re Sensitive to Gluten? Think Again

IT SEEMS AS IF EVERYONE is going to great lengths to avoid gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley, rye and many processed foods. Are there real health benefits associated with going gluten-free, or is it just another passing fad?

A recently published study in the journal Digestion found that 86 percent of individuals who believed they were gluten sensitive could tolerate it. Individuals with celiac disease, a hereditary autoimmune condition that affects about 3 million Americans, or roughly 1 percent of the population, must avoid gluten. Those with extremely rare wheat allergies must also remove gluten from their diet. In addition, those with gluten sensitivity, a condition that affects 6 percent of the population (18 million individuals), should also avoid gluten.

That doesn't explain why an estimated 30 percent of shoppers are choosing "gluten-free" options, and 41 percent of U.S. adults believe "gluten-free" foods are beneficial for everyone, especially when many of those foods are often lower in nutrients and higher in sugars, sodium and fat than their gluten-free counterparts. And much of the growth in the category is coming from cookies, crackers, snack bars and chips.

Thanks in part to a lot of hype from gluten-free evangelists and celebrity wheat-bashing, many Americans are convinced they're "gluten-sensitive" and better off avoiding foods that contain it. "People want to believe that they are gluten intolerant because it's a way for them to avoid carbs, because they also think carbs make them fat," explains registered dietitian Vandana Sheth, a spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.

Read more: https://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2015/06/11/think-youre-sensitive-to-gluten-think-again
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. This is all really good advice. Basically I need to walk before I can run 😊 and see my GP. Small steps! Thank you.

I was 53 when I started as an Obese II man with no habit of exercise. I had a treadmill that I had never used. I had a rowing sort of machine that I had not used in several years. I had a basketball hoop in my driveway that I had never used. My basketball was flat. My bike tires were flat. Two years later, last summer, I went for a dunk test. It said my body fat was so low that it described me as "Athlete". Start where you are, then do more.