calories burned on machines

Options
I don't think there is any way I am burning as much as my elliptical and treadmill workouts say I am. Even when I enter my weight and age it just seems like a ridiculously high number. Does anyone else feel this way?

Replies

• thedodgeruk
    thedodgeruk Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    give an example of the numbers and length of workout
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    YES!!! The answer to that is to get yourself a heart rate monitor and go off that. I own a brand new elliptical and a treadmill and they are both way off. The totals on MFP and closer to the HRM than the machines. I hope that helps you!
  • astroub
    astroub Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I use to feel the same way!! First I used a formula I found online to calculate calories based on my weight. It was pretty accurate but, recently I bought a HRM and you cannot go wrong with that!! I wear it when I get on the same machines I did before I had it and the machines are way higher then my actual burn!! You may want to check into a good HRM for accuracy! Good luck!! ;)
  • astroub
    astroub Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I use to feel the same way!! First I used a formula I found online to calculate calories based on my weight. It was pretty accurate but, recently I bought a HRM and you cannot go wrong with that!! I wear it when I get on the same machines I did before I had it and the machines are way higher then my actual burn!! You may want to check into a good HRM for accuracy! Good luck!! ;)
  • jupaba
    jupaba Posts: 25
    Options
    My treadmill has me burning at least 100 calories more than MFP. I use the MFP numbers because that keeps everything consistent. Not sure why there is such a discrepancy.
  • Autumn15
    Autumn15 Posts: 213
    Options
    Yes I feel the same way and have other friends who have treadmills and they are very different in their results...The MFP calculations are closer to realistic than what most machines will tell you but even it is high compared to calculators I've found online.
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    Alright, tonight I did 30 minutes on the elliptical and went 4.25 miles that had me burning 450 calories. I sued the MFP numbers too, but even that was higher than I would think, like 380 or something. Then I did 30 min on the treadmill doing some intervals in incline and speed, but mostly at about a 2 incline and a 4.0 speed, and that had me burning 250 calories. Again I used the MFP numbers. I guess I am going to get a heart rate monitor.
  • routerguy666
    Options
    Rule of thumb is 100 calories per mile, so it's in the ballpark at least.
  • Rainbow011
    Rainbow011 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is any way I am burning as much as my elliptical and treadmill workouts say I am. Even when I enter my weight and age it just seems like a ridiculously high number. Does anyone else feel this way?

As other people have already said the machines are way off. I bought myself a heart rate monitor this week and discovered that the machines were over estimating my calorie burn by 100 calories.

I also find that the MFP estimate can be off as well.

If I'm not wearing my heart rate monitor I will usually input a lower weight into the machine i.e. I currently weigh 66kgs but I'll input 65kgs into the machine. At least that way the calorie burn it displays might be a little less inaccurate.
  • katemiddletonisawesome
    Options
    I only do the elliptical at the gym. The actual machine says I burn anywhere from 650-700 calories per hour depending on the resistance I choose. But, MFP says 810 per hour. Is your machine at home or can you use one at the gym just to see?