If you're NOT following a specific plan

Options
Besides a calorie deficit, what else do you watch (or helps you lose easier)? I understand clean eating and eliminating processed food is best for you, but do you also watch your fat, carbs, or protein along with a calorie deficit?

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I worry about keeping protein up and carbs down. That tends to be easier with fresh veg and meat, but it isn't necessary for weight loss and even on a low carb diet, I manage processed foods fairly regularly.

I did not make today's poke from scratch!
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I keep an eye on macros but mostly just to make sure I'm getting protein. I monitor my sodium and sugar, which tends to result in fewer processed foods.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    For weight management the only thing I focus on is calorie intake (I track my food here or on paper and then do daily weigh-ins and track those on Libra to see my trends).

For eating preferences/nutrition goals I eat mostly whole foods with a heavy emphasis on plant foods. That's completely separate than my weight management plan though.

Also the term 'clean' eating is completely meaningless and does not have a clear, agreed on definition so don't get to hung up on that. Processed foods aren't bad either really. Even eating a more 'whole' foods woe I still eat processed foods (canned beans, dairy etc).
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    From a diet standpoint, I watch total calories along with my macros (fat, carbs, protein). I don't care about any of the rest of it.

Calories I track for weight loss, macros I track for other reasons (sustainability, workout performance/energy, body composition, satiety, etc).
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Besides a calorie deficit, what else do you watch (or helps you lose easier)? I understand clean eating and eliminating processed food is best for you, but do you also watch your fat, carbs, or protein along with a calorie deficit?

I only track calories and sometimes protein for athletic performance reasons (I know I feel better when I'm eating enough protein). Otherwise it's just calories. Like others have said, I don't focus on "eating clean" or "unprocessed" (I have a lot to say about that) and I've had no real issue losing weight.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    On a side note... I'm thinking about starting to track sodium because I think some of my cravings are sodium-related.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    I don't follow a prescribed plan - more like my own "plan" that helps me stay in a calorie deficit, works with my lifestyle, and keeps me from wanting to gnaw my own arm off (most of the time anyways LOL).

Calories are obviously king, but I tried to find a way of eating that did all of the above and at least kept me in a slight deficit. Something I could maintain for life, regardless of what I'm doing, who I'm with, or what my days are looking like. For me, that was key.

Personally I see calorie counting and planned meals as much of a "plan" as any other...if you're trying to lose weight, regardless of what you are or are not tracking, you're on a plan.

I try to keep my protein up, and carbs down as carbs tend to be high calorie for not a lot of substance. I fill in with a lot of veggies (thankfully I like them).

When I was doing more regular meal prep I tracked my macros, finding that while calories were ultimately king, a good macro profile for my body did make a noticeable difference in that loss being slightly faster or slower (plus my own satiety).
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    When I started and wanted a bit more structure and to make sure I had a satisfying and filling diet, I focused on protein (getting to my total and getting in a reasonable portion of them at each of my chosen 3 meals) and vegetables. Basically I built my meals around them. I also watched fiber until I was comfortable that I was getting plenty.

Now I just try to stay mindful and eat a generally nutritious overall diet. In theory I still watch protein and fiber and veg, but I just kind of naturally eat in a way that hits my preferences for them.

I don't watch carbs and fat since I don't really care how much I get of either (in theory you can be too low in dietary fat but most people would have to work pretty hard to get there, and I'm naturally nowhere near that level).

What really mattered more for me than any macros was figuring out that I do best eating 3 meals per day and not snacking, as I tend to snack mindlessly, and prefer larger meals but not so large that I want to split my calories up more. Not saying this is true for anyone else, but figuring out if you do have things like this that make it easier can be helpful.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    i just eat want i want. i am not going to make it more complicated than it needs to be

soul sisters LOL
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I just limit added sugar and trans fats, everything else is fine in moderation in my eyes