If you're NOT following a specific plan

Options

Replies

• Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    My philosophy is to do what I must and only what I must. I don't see the sense in complicating matters if I can avoid it. So I suppose you could call that my plan.

With that in mind my goal was to lose weight and to do that all I need to do is eat in a calorie deficit so that's what I did. I focused on what mattered which was tracking my calories and let everything else fall where it may. I lost 40kg (88lb) last year doing this and improved my health and wellbeing dramatically.

This year my goals are changing. I still plan to drop around another 20kg (44lb) but I've also started to shift my focus to also improving my fitness. Now that I have fitness and performance goals, what matters has also changed so I no doubt will begin to pay more attention to where those calories are coming from.
  • Mandi98U
    Mandi98U Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I focus on just my calories, but I have noticed that I feel fuller/satisfied when I eat more protein so I strive to hit my protein goal everyday, I don’t worry about anything else though
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I do a IIFIYM approach. I eat what I want within my calories. I try to eat lots of veggies but have ice-cream every night. balance :)
  • tiffanyleilarsen
    tiffanyleilarsen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my protein high because I'm anemic and it helps alleviate my symptoms. I also try to eliminate pure sugar foods like candy. And there are curtain things that I know I don't have the will power to eat in moderation like doughnuts and french bread.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I primarily watch calories because my main goal is weight loss.

To make sticking to my calorie budget possible, I try to choose foods that fill me up.

One goal of mine this year has been to eat more vegetables so I'm focusing on that too.

I naturally eat fresh and whole foods, hardly anything processed, although do eat an occasional treat. I don't care about limiting carbs or fat beyond how they affect my calorie budget.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I watch calories and protein. Historically I've struggled with getting enough protein when losing, so I've started to keep an extra eye on it. Still not as high as I'd like, but it's much better than it was.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Bread has always been my "trigger food" - I was able to eat 1 to 2 loaves of bread with lots and lots of nice, fatty stuff on top and in between the slices. So I have started to watch my daily carbs (i.e. bread) intake and try to stay under 100 gram a day. Over the last 9 months my macros are about 30 % carbs and 35 % each for fats and protein. Male, 80 kg to lose, MFP calculation 1750 calories a day, total weight to lose about 80 kg, so far I have lost about 27 kg.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,401 Member
    Options
    I just eat what I like an an amount that fits into my calorie allowance, makes me full and happy. Nothing else.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I focus on calories, protein (it's satiating for me) and fat (it can tend to be too low for me), and nutrition. I try to get as much variety in my diet as possible, even though I tend to have some favorites that I eat almost daily (frozen raspberries in my oatmeal, I just can't quit you).

I focus on variety because I know that getting into ruts and then getting bored with eating tends to end with me going off the rails. It's also makes good sense from a nutrition stand-point.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Eating "clean" and eliminating processed foods would make it impossible for me to adhere to any calorie goal. It's a moderation thing, nothing wrong with a couple of cookies, but a whole tube is probably going to mean you'll go hungry later.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Also this thread shows you how many people approach their food variety... https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10717582/how-often-do-you-eat-sweets/p1
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Besides a calorie deficit, what else do you watch (or helps you lose easier)? I understand clean eating and eliminating processed food is best for you, but do you also watch your fat, carbs, or protein along with a calorie deficit?

I am not following a specific plan. I am T2Dm so I do make sure my total carbs stay under 180 grams per day but I don't worry about what makes up those carbs. I hit my protein goal and let the others fall where they will (as long as the carbs are below the limit).

No food is off limits. I eat processed food but I prefer to make most of my meals because I enjoy it more if I made it myself. Enjoying what I eat makes me more satisfied and less likely to want more. I can also tweak it so it is higher in protein