Treadmill Running vs. Actual Running

Replies

• 4bugsmama
    4bugsmama Posts: 2,875 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    corriepelc wrote: »
    For me, there's nothing better than running outside. I just love the feeling of being free to run wherever I want. I'm lucky as I live in California and even during the winter, I can still run outdoors.

I'm lucky as I live in Minnesota and even during the winter, I can still run outdoors. ;)
    There is nothing like running outside in a heavy snow. It's magical! Ice beards are pretty cool too.

bx6q9p5m5nfi.jpg
    7ikl0c6xr6ac.jpg

That's dedication! Total admiration right there! I love that you're smiling through the snow beard 😁 Have to be completely honest...it doesn't even snow where I live so I have zero excuses. Thanks for the post, which has led to a kick in the pants to just go run!
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    @4bugsmama I live in Texas so we don't get the winter snow and deep cold that our northern neighbors get. That said, it is occasionally cold with low wind chills. The point is that it takes time (and $$) to learn how to dress for cold weather. I'm a big weenie and don't like being cold anymore than anyone else. You just have to get the gear and then have a happy heart about being able to do what many other folks cannot. At first you'll overdress and sweat and get cold, then you'll under dress and swear you'll never do that again - then you'll figure out what's comfortable. Once you're comfortable you'll stop thinking about the cold and start noticing all the things around you that are interesting and beautiful. I have access to a treadmill but prefer to run outside in almost every instance.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    +1 For the screw shoes. Cheap and effective. I'm also going try trail shoes in the snow this year.

FWIW - Tomorrow will be my first 'real' run of Winter. Wind chill temps around 15F. And snow on Sunday. :smiley:
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »
    +1 For the screw shoes. Cheap and effective. I'm also going try trail shoes in the snow this year.

FWIW - Tomorrow will be my first 'real' run of Winter. Wind chill temps around 15F. And snow on Sunday. :smiley:

Haha. Sunday is my 5k day.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    From my experience, treadmill running is MUCH easier. I found the only thing that prepared me for running outside was to actually run outside. But the treadmill would go further toward getting you ready for running outside than sitting on the couch, so keep at it and have fun. Just don't be disappointed and think you did anything wrong if you get out there and your not able to go as long without stopping outside as you did on the treadmill.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    OldAssDude wrote: »
    corriepelc wrote: »
    For me, there's nothing better than running outside. I just love the feeling of being free to run wherever I want. I'm lucky as I live in California and even during the winter, I can still run outdoors.

I'm lucky as I live in Minnesota and even during the winter, I can still run outdoors. ;)
    There is nothing like running outside in a heavy snow. It's magical! Ice beards are pretty cool too.

bx6q9p5m5nfi.jpg
    7ikl0c6xr6ac.jpg

Dude!!!

Now I got a man crush...

urbda3bo2o1p.jpg

I live in Pennsylvania.

@OldAssDude nice!! In the winter I check the forecast closely and do all I can do schedule my runs during snowstorms. It brings out my inner child.

My favorite running partner also loves winter running

27qpbb8cqhff.jpg

Aww! He’s so cute! I tried to take my pup on a run and she was not having it lol
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    @mitch16 @Tacklewasher . . . have you ever tried yaktraks, rubber and metal cleats that slide over your running shoes for snow and ice? Just curious if anyone has used them in the winter months. I bought a pair at Costco a few weeks back but we haven't had any snow to try them out yet. Thanks . . Rod

Chiming in on this - I have a pair of the Costco ones and they are useless and slip right off. That said, I have feet on the smaller end of the size they claim to work for (they say women's 6-10 and I'm a 6).

I used to run outdoors year-round (in Canada), but last December I got a really bad ankle sprain on some black ice, and now I just stick to the treadmill since I'm not willing to go through three + months of recovery with no running at all again. It works just as well and I read ebooks on mine, so I don't find it especially boring. That said, I run a little faster outdoors than I do on a treadmill, but that seems to be because I always push a little harder outside since only knowing my pace at intervals when my running app reads it to me every 0.5 mile makes me constantly think I'm running too slow and need to pick it up :lol:
  • 4bugsmama
    4bugsmama Posts: 2,875 Member
    I did a short run outside yesterday evening. Not pretty, I'm sure but I at least got a feel for things. What I noticed: I like being outside more, the terrain changes are going to take some getting used to, and I feel more natural at running outside. That being said, I still stuck to my TM this morning for my goal of getting my exercise in before work. My next task is to find some running trails near me. Last night's run was in my neighborhood and there were too many cars to really get going for a long distance.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i like running on both. i do prefer outside. the dogs can come with me then.
    hvnkf6qnzuo3.png
    pn3sglvom3oa.png
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    @4bugsmama I live in Texas so we don't get the winter snow and deep cold that our northern neighbors get. That said, it is occasionally cold with low wind chills. The point is that it takes time (and $$) to learn how to dress for cold weather. I'm a big weenie and don't like being cold anymore than anyone else. You just have to get the gear and then have a happy heart about being able to do what many other folks cannot. At first you'll overdress and sweat and get cold, then you'll under dress and swear you'll never do that again - then you'll figure out what's comfortable. Once you're comfortable you'll stop thinking about the cold and start noticing all the things around you that are interesting and beautiful. I have access to a treadmill but prefer to run outside in almost every instance.

Could not agree more! I'm super wimpy when it comes to cold weather but I've surprised myself this winter how often I've been excited to go out in the cold and walk and not waste a minute on the treadmill. Even with bare trees and everything brown instead of green the scenery is still beautiful.

Plus, no matter how cold it is all doggies must be walked! I don't have any myself but I enjoy seeing everyone else's pets on the trail.
  • Scotty2HotPie
    Scotty2HotPie Posts: 143 Member
    Thank god I love in the South... There's no way I'd be running in the snow like that.

Then again, I'm sure they would hate the 95+ degree, high humidity we get in the summer.
  • Scotty2HotPie
    Scotty2HotPie Posts: 143 Member

The humidity and being at sea level here amplifies the cold... when you add wind, it can be very frigid.

I moved south several years ago and was surprised how much colder 30 degrees here was than back home in Colorado.

If the sun was out in Denver, 30 degrees can actually be super comfortable there. Mainly because there's like 2% humidity and thinner air. Anyone who's gone spring skiing might know what I'm talking about.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    @mitch16 @Tacklewasher . . . have you ever tried yaktraks, rubber and metal cleats that slide over your running shoes for snow and ice? Just curious if anyone has used them in the winter months. I bought a pair at Costco a few weeks back but we haven't had any snow to try them out yet. Thanks . . Rod

I have Yaktraks and they are fine for complete snow cover, but when it's highly variable (snow + ice + bare road) I find them to feel jarring when I stride. I have running snowshoes (Crescent Moon) which I love for full snow coverage (on XC trails) but running with them on does change my stride and it's really a different workout (a lot harder on the hip flexors).

Like I said, there are pros and cons to either and I don't mind the treadmill that much to move inside when it is too dangerous to be outside. The cold and winds aren't deterrents (I'm a skier too so I have plenty of cold weather gear), but the ice and sketchy conditions are.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

I have a pair. They do help, but my issue is I like to run first thing, so when it is dark still. I get up at 5, light breakfast and run. I start work at 7. So if I run outside, it's in the dark, and I'm not comfy doing that even with the Yak Traks.

If I run on the weekend through snow or ice I use them and they are helpful.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    mitch16 wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I prefer to run & bike outdoors, but I would rather do this on a machine than miss a work out due to climate, conflicting priorities, etc. We sold our elliptical and purchased a nice treadmill last year along with a bike trainer. Whenever we have to be on a tconn, read through documents, or just be in the house with the kids.

I owe much of my resilience to my high school track coach who ran us snow, rain, or shine.

@CSARdiver--what brand of treadmill/model did you purchase? My husband and I have been looking and the internet searches yield very different results for "quality".

We bought a Sole F80 for Christmas last year - the 2017 model. Very nice - it folds up, very quiet, and runs smoothly throughout speed and incline. Had this one year with 2 adults and 3 kids using this daily.
  • adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    I usually walk or hike during the warmer weather. Recently I got a treadmill, used, from Craigslist, and use it almost every day. After a warm-up, I keep the incline at 4% and go 4 mph to get a good walk for at least 45 mins, then a cool down. Listening to music is a must, even outside. Sure, it's not the same as enjoying the fresh air and nature, but I'm getting my exercise. The benefit of having exercise equipment at home is that I am ready to work out right away, and don't have to get in my car all sweaty to drive back home.