Marital calorie jealousy

Options
2»

Replies

• Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    If you are one month in and already losing motivation and complaining about a 2 lbs loss. I wonder if you are ready for the life long change needed. You need to understand, the reality food wise you knew,has to be gone or you will end up right back in the same place.

Are you upset that body builders and pro athletes can eat 10000 calories a day? Why should it make a difference if your other half has more. Concentrate on yourself!
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    My husband is thin, 8 inches taller than me, and trying to gain muscle. So while I’m making sure I’m in a deficit every day, he’s making sure he’s eating even more. He actually gets to eat more than double my daily calories! So yeah sometimes I get a little jealous seeing him fill up his plate at dinner but it is what it is. I’m glad he’s working on his fitness level and he needs more calories to do that, I can’t begrudge him wanting to be healthier 🙂

Just remember, it’s not a competition. You are both on your own personal journeys and the best thing to do is just cheer each other on.
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I'm not jealous that my OH can eat more calories than me and not get overweight.......I'm the one who is obese and is on a diet. I am happy to do the weekly shop and buy him his cakes, crisps, bread and other goodies. I also do all the meal prep and cooking every night [he does loads of other domestic work].....I try to make tasty, balanced, nutritious and reasonably healthy meals......we both eat the same meal, I just give him a bigger portion. I am sitting typing this with a large box of chocolates on the table which he delves into every night....I don't, well I might have the odd one or two lol.

My OH is very supportive....he measures out my milk for the day every morning and brings me my coffee in bed. He is happy to eat the same meals as me and says he loves them...bless him. He even understands that buying fresh meat and fish to cook from scratch is a bit more expensive than processed junk.

• Fatty_Nuff
    Fatty_Nuff Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Marital calories? Is that something that gets divided by a judge during a divorce?
    Seriously though. Accept reality, Men have more lean body mass than women. Larger bones, more muscle. They expend more calories than women. So they lose weight a bit faster. It's just a fact. No need to be jealous or stress about it.
  • gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    jelleigh wrote: »
    Thanks @RAinWA . yes that's exactly what happens! I try to serve us food, obviously knowing or portions are going to be way way different, but it's so sad! Lol. This is how I gained the weight mind you - cooking for us, making him a big plate, making me a smaller (but not small enough) plate. Or worse yet, splitting the food! How is it possible to burn half the calories but have the same appetite!?! Lol.

Yeah we do that, too. Since I'm the one doing all of the portion control, dividing up for leftovers, etc. the portions are generally built for my calorie allotment, and my guy usually has a snack after or eats a bigger lunch to make up what he needs. It's definitely easier if we're doing sandwiches or soup or something, where he can double his cracker portion or make a second (or bigger) sandwich.

Ideally he would be interested in measuring and logging his own food (he has a MFP account he doesn't really use) but until then... I get to portion it all! >:)
  • Finafoshizzle93
    Finafoshizzle93 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My husband is 6’8 and obese and I’m 5’4 trying to lose 10 pounds. I feel you. He loses 2 lbs a week just by eating a salad and only have 1 bee a night. It’s annoying but there’s nothing you can do unfortunately