Will this diet work?!

Madmandan90
Madmandan90 Posts: 12 Member
edited January 2019 in Food and Nutrition
Hi all, I am 28 and I've been overweight since I was 18. I've just recently slipped into the obese bmi range at 6ft 2in tall and 240lbs. I've never really eaten healthy and never really even tried to shift the weight until now. I used to eat a lot of fast food and Ive drank stupid amounts of full fat coke everyday for as long as I can remember. I have high blood pressure and a fatty liver. (SerumALT level:90) at last liver function test. I never really exercised either and just relied on my job for being active.

I'm changing this whole routine today I have brought healthy foods and plan to do a full body workout every other day (heavy weights) followed by c25k cardio straight after weights.

This is what I plan to eat every day:

Meal 1:
200g chicken breast
200g broccoli
100g mushrooms
14g Coconut oil

Meal 2:
200g diced beef
200g broccoli
100g mushrooms
14g Coconut oil

Meal 3:
200g white fish
200g broccoli
100g mushrooms
14g Coconut oil

Total daily calories: 1800
187g protein 107g fat 14g carbs

I plan to intermittent fast and eat these 3 meals within a 6 hour window leaving 18 of fasting just drinking water.

I understand this is a long post and I am no expert in fat loss (obviously) I've created this whole healthy life style through internet research. If anyone can suggest anything that would benefit me more or can spot any glaring mistakes please let me know. Or if you've done or plan to do something similar please feel free to share.

Thanks again and wish me luck!

Dan

This is my starting point if anyones interested. Hopefully something I can look back on in a few months in amazement...

1bh73bogyymz.jpg

uld48fc2sys2.jpg

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    That'll work. Hang around a while and you'll see that anything you can do for the rest of your life which keeps your calorie intake correct for your purpose is going to work fine.
  • Madmandan90
    edited January 2019
    Thanks for the quick responses, I did think the changes would be too dramatic to start with but for my whole life I've pretty much been an all or nothing kind of person. If I fall flat on my face after the first week and catch myself drinking a can of coke I will take your advice.
  • Madmandan90
    It recommends 1940 calories to loose 2lb a week. Do you think 1800 is a lot then?

And yeah I totally get that it needs to be sustainable. I'm hoping it will be. I'm not really a big binge eater. I drink a lot of sugary drinks which is my problem so if I can get past that hurdle I think I will be okay.

That's great though thanks so much for your advice
  • AnnieGottaRun
    AnnieGottaRun Posts: 33 Member
    I was thinking that 1800 seemed low, but as I said I don't know your goals or timeline. I'm not an expert on weight loss, and I can only speak to my own experience.

For what it's worth, I have seen others on these forums caution against the 2 lb loss unless it was for a loss of a large amount of weight as it might be too aggressive.
  • Madmandan90
    Ah okay thanks both. Maybe I should up the calories then. Looking at it on paper though I feel that the 1800 calories of whole ingredient food is alot of food for me to eat. Compared to the unhealthy food I usually eat. Suppose I won't know until I try though.
  • Madmandan90
    You must really love broccoli...

Why not eat a wider range of food, it might make it more sustainable for you?

Okay I will definitely try and mix up the veg a bit more. Truth be told the amount of veg I eat per year normally I would eat in a week on this food plan. Never been a big fan. I love mushrooms but every other veg bores me. I'll grow in some carrots and red onions and maybe some asparagus.

Also, if I can offer a tip, doing c25k and lifting on alternate days would probably be better than the same day. And make sure you have a rest day built in, to allow your muscles to recover and grow. Also, since you're doing c25k, there's a running challenge on the challenge board, very active group with lots of support!

Thanks I was unsure whether to do cardio on rest days or after workouts there seems to be benefits of both. In that case if I do:

Monday: full body
    Tuesday: c25k
    Wednesday: full body
    Thursday: c25k
    Friday: full body
    Saturday c25k
    Sunday: rest

You think that would benefit me more? I have no issue going to the gym as my work has a gym so no excuse to go before or after a shift

Thanks again all

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    You must really love broccoli...

Why not eat a wider range of food, it might make it more sustainable for you?

Okay I will definitely try and mix up the veg a bit more. Truth be told the amount of veg I eat per year normally I would eat in a week on this food plan. Never been a big fan. I love mushrooms but every other veg bores me. I'll grow in some carrots and red onions and maybe some asparagus.

Also, if I can offer a tip, doing c25k and lifting on alternate days would probably be better than the same day. And make sure you have a rest day built in, to allow your muscles to recover and grow. Also, since you're doing c25k, there's a running challenge on the challenge board, very active group with lots of support!

Thanks I was unsure whether to do cardio on rest days or after workouts there seems to be benefits of both. In that case if I do:

Monday: full body
    Tuesday: c25k
    Wednesday: full body
    Thursday: c25k
    Friday: full body
    Saturday c25k
    Sunday: rest

You think that would benefit me more? I have no issue going to the gym as my work has a gym so no excuse to go before or after a shift

Thanks again all

Well - this will probably get wooed but is true - some studies show that cardio represses hypertrophy (muscle building.) One particularly interesting study found that people who did ten minutes of cardio directly after lifting got just as strong, but gained less muscle mass.

In terms of weight loss, there's really no benefit either way. The main thing is that doing it when you're already tired, you won't get the most out of it.

If you are absolutely new to this, work up to thirty minutes of brisk walking before starting c25k. If you can walk briskly for thirty minutes, jump on in!
  • Madmandan90
    Thanks all for such quick responses. I am currently looking at realistic ways to increase these calories. I honestly think I will struggle to eat that much while intermittent fasting. I suppose it just goes to show how bad my eating habits were before.

I tend to wake up go straight so work which most shift tend to be up to 12 hours of work no breaks so I usually wait untill I get home to eat. Which is normally something like a KFC on the way back. 2-4 pints of coke through out the evening maybe something like a cheese on toast if I'm hungry before bed. and a late night 5-6 hours sleep and repeat.

I don't drink alcohol. I hardly eat any sweets, chocolate or crisps. It's pretty much unhealthy fried food and coke full of sugar

I obviously want to loose weight but ideally I want to lead a healthy lifestyle. I want to sort out my fatty liver and high blood pressure and be as fit as I can possibly be. I want to run a marathon at some point before I'm 30
  • Madmandan90

Well - this will probably get wooed but is true - some studies show that cardio represses hypertrophy (muscle building.) One particularly interesting study found that people who did ten minutes of cardio directly after lifting got just as strong, but gained less muscle mass.

In terms of weight loss, there's really no benefit either way. The main thing is that doing it when you're already tired, you won't get the most out of it.

If you are absolutely new to this, work up to thirty minutes of brisk walking before starting c25k. If you can walk briskly for thirty minutes, jump on in!

Believe it or not I can do a tiny bit of cardio. I've looked at the program and feel the first 4 weeks are manageable for me relatively easy but I'm going to take it slow starting from week 1. Thanks