Doubt with daily calories for teenager girl

Options
Hi all. I've been using MFP 6 months ago and getting very good results, with all that implies ( Calorie deficit, macros, excersise, hydration, etc)
So... now my teenage daugther wants to follow same steps in order to loose some weight and yesterday ask me for help.
I consider she is not overweight, but maybe 6 or 8 lb less makes her feel better and more confident ( crucial at her age).
I setup an account for her, made all initial configuration and it came with 1350 cals/day (I used 0.25lb/week loose) but I have doubts in order to cut down calorie intake at her age (14 years). From another calculator her TDEE is supposed to be about 1750 cals/day.
Please advice.

Replies

• Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    For a teen I would consult with a doctor about the best method for weight loss. Honestly, I wouldn’t have her counting calories at all.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    You need to talk to her pediatrician about this.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    No...
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Make her eat the same but move more. She must be barely overeating to be 6-8lbs up. Exercise has been shown to reduce anxiety/increase confidence
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    aortegasep wrote: »
    Thanks all, thats what I was thinking about. I'm sure she doesnt need to count calories or restrict them.
    We have fairly healty eating habits at home and I know that she only needs to make some smart choices during the day to stay "good".
    I like that she is open to listen and learn about all this things and thats also why I have some minor panic episode yesterday she ask me to use MFP.
    Today I'll talk to her to explain all this and let that account inactive.

Thanks

Just my two cents, be thoughtful about using terms like "good" to describe her food choices or calorie intake. People, maybe women and girls especially, are already receiving lots of social messages that our calorie intake, weight, and enjoyment of food are moral issues. But they're not and you have the choice whether or not you want to reinforce those social messages or model a different way of thinking about these choices.

Echoing entirely. OP, you *really* need to stay away from language like this at home -- whether it's about food, or intake, or body weight. Don't add to the messaging that society gives her about how only some things and some sizes are *good*.

Instead, reinforce with her that bodies change during puberty, and that's healthy, and normal.

If she continues to be concerned, reach out to your pediatrician and let them help you.
  • aortegasep
    aortegasep Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Totally agree about taking care of words and terms, we always use terms as: healthy, natural, etc, etc.
    Thats why I use "...." when wrote "good" and also thats why I'm concerned about this topic with her.
    My objective at this time is just to make her concient about the importance of a healthy, balanced diet that includes all 3 macros and the benefits of adopting habits like excercise and self control.
    I have lots of work with her for this weekend! LOL
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    nope. not going there.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Nope nope and more nope.

The MFP calorie calculator is designed for adults.

If you have a health concern for your daughter, see a doctor or a mental health professional.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    aortegasep wrote: »
    Hi all. I've been using MFP 6 months ago and getting very good results, with all that implies ( Calorie deficit, macros, excersise, hydration, etc)
    So... now my teenage daugther wants to follow same steps in order to loose some weight and yesterday ask me for help.
    I consider she is not overweight, but maybe 6 or 8 lb less makes her feel better and more confident ( crucial at her age).
    I setup an account for her, made all initial configuration and it came with 1350 cals/day (I used 0.25lb/week loose) but I have doubts in order to cut down calorie intake at her age (14 years). From another calculator her TDEE is supposed to be about 1750 cals/day.
    Please advice.

A couple of things.
    First of all, if your daughter needs to lose 6 lbs to feel more confident, the problem to fix is not the 6 lbs, it's that she is already judging her worth by a few lbs.
    Second, you can't use a standard TDEE calculator for a teen girl. Young people who still may grow or develop have different calorie needs.
    Third, as others have mentioned, as preteens develop, they go through periods of gaining weight and changing shape. A teen can go from scrawny to filled out, or from chubby to slim in literally a matter of months. Messing with that can have negative consequences.

If these feelings are truly coming from your daughter, it's important for you to assure her that a few lbs does not have the power to define her or make her more or less capable or worthy, and to explain to her the physical changes that are most likely still to come.

If these feelings are actually yours, you need to stop projecting that kind of subconscious judging and negativity on your daughter. I apologize if this doesn't apply to you, but we do get a number of parents who are micromanaging their child's weight, and many of us have had to recover from the self-judgement and body shame we learned from our own parents (sometimes on purpose, sometimes w/o even realizing it) back in the day.
  • aortegasep
    aortegasep Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think this post was totally miss understood by many and I even feel insulted by some aggresive answers, but that's another topic...

For those who feel "sad" don't be, you have nothing to be concerned about. She is a very happy, loved, supported and healthy girl. I was just trying to get (from you) tools and arguments to deal with this situation that came to me last night and catch by surprise, but now I see it was a mistake.

Thanks for those who give me objective and constructive advise and didn't overreact.

Please feel free to close or erase this post.
  • lucadeangiles
    lucadeangiles Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    As a teenager who counts calories, please don’t encourage her counting calories. It becomes so obsessive and as she becomes an older teenager, it can easily lead to problematic behaviors. I wish I had never started. Try eating more high volume low calorie foods, lots of fruits and vegetables! Cut back on fast foods, pre packaged foods, and processed snacks. If she has extra weight to lose, this will slowly and safely get rid of it.
  • M0n1KCR
    M0n1KCR Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    May you be putting too much emphasis on your weight loss, so that she has picked up on it, and that's why she wants to lose some pounds? I teach teens, and have noticed that some of them, specially girls, want to go on a diet when their mum is losing weight. Mum feels beautiful, everyone congratulates her about her new appearance, and she is (understandably) over the moon. The young girl gets the message that "to be liked, you need to be thin(ner)". That's why it's so important to help her understand about the changes in her body, and make her understand that she is so much more than her weight. If she insists to lose weight, ask her doctor for advice, or just get her to move more, but don't start her on counting calories while she is so young (and a healthy weight). Teens tend to obsess over things, especially about their image, and this could easily lead to an eating disorder.
    Good luck. Please, don't feel judged or criticised, this is not my intention. It's just than ED in teens is really worrying and dangerous, and immature kids counting calories seems like an easy way to get one... they simply eat less and less calories once they know how to do it (very usually without the parents' knowledge).