What fruits pair well with carrot in smoothies?

I have a boatload of carrots I want to eat before they go bad, and the idea of eating pounds of roasted carrots isn't that appealing...does anyone have recommendations for fruits that pair well with carrot, or make a carrot taste less prominent in a smoothie? Figured that would be another great way to get them eaten!

Replies

• Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    No help with the smoothies, but carrot or carrot and zucchini fritters are a good way to use up a ton of carrots, and they freeze well. Shred equal parts carrot and zucchini, about 3-4 cups, strain using a cheese cloth, add in an egg, 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and season w/ Italian seasoning. Patty ‘em up and you can freeze them, pan fry them with light butter or bake them. 😉
  • scalebeater
    scalebeater Posts: 65 Member
    Mango orange (I just put in 1T of frozen oj concentrate) and banana, blend w ice .. for a homemade Jamba “carrot orange karma” .. use more carrot and ice but less banana/mango than they do to lower the calories and you won’t taste the difference. Sometimes I also put in spinach or kale or protein powder. Can sub pineapple for one of the fruits too but it won’t be smooth if you skip the banana.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    No help with the smoothies, but carrot or carrot and zucchini fritters are a good way to use up a ton of carrots, and they freeze well. Shred equal parts carrot and zucchini, about 3-4 cups, strain using a cheese cloth, add in an egg, 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and season w/ Italian seasoning. Patty ‘em up and you can freeze them, pan fry them with light butter or bake them. 😉

Thanks! I love all of those things, so I can't imagine that I would dislike this recipe! Thanks so much for the suggestion!
  • missiontofitness
    Mango orange (I just put in 1T of frozen oj concentrate) and banana, blend w ice .. for a homemade Jamba “carrot orange karma” .. use more carrot and ice but less banana/mango than they do to lower the calories and you won’t taste the difference. Sometimes I also put in spinach or kale or protein powder. Can sub pineapple for one of the fruits too but it won’t be smooth if you skip the banana.

Thank you! This is perfect; I ran out of pineapple but have a ton of mango, so I think this will be a great one to experiment with tomorrow. Do you taste the greens or are they hidden pretty well?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I don't drink smoothies, but when carrots are paired with fruit in other recipes I've done, it's often apples (got a great side dish involving carrots, parsnips, and apples) or oranges. A Jewish New Year tradition is "tzimmes", basically a sweetened side dish often involving carrots or sweet potatoes with pineapples, prunes, dried apricots, and/or raisins. Maybe the fresh fruits would work, too? Again, haven't tried this.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I like carrots and pears together with a little ginger in smoothies. If you enjoy adding fruits to salads, pears, carrots, and pecans make a great combination.

If this is a frequent problem, you could make friends with a horse owner!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Carrots, spinach, beets and a squeeze of lemon and some ginger.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I had an orange and carrot smoothie last year that was pretty good. I think I added some ginger too?
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Not a fruit, but it's in the produce aisle....GINGER! Carrots and ginger pair really well together.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    edited January 2019
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    Not a fruit, but it's in the produce aisle....GINGER! Carrots and ginger pair really well together.

I think I've had carrot-ginger soup from Whole Foods - yum!

I thought I might have made it from the Moosewood Cookbook, but https://bostonorganics.com/recipes/carrots/moosewood-carrot-soup is what I'm finding for that. Only 1 tsp grated ginger as an optional add-in, but uses 2 pounds of carrots.

This look yummy! https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/carrot-ginger-soup
    • 4 C carrots
    • 1 T plus 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh peeled ginger
    • etc.

Pro tip: I stopped peeling ginger years back - the "skin" is so thin it is not noticeable when present.
  • missiontofitness
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    kenyonhaff wrote: »

I think I've had carrot-ginger soup from Whole Foods - yum!

I thought I might have made it from the Moosewood Cookbook, but https://bostonorganics.com/recipes/carrots/moosewood-carrot-soup is what I'm finding for that. Only 1 tsp grated ginger as an optional add-in, but uses 2 pounds of carrots.

This look yummy! https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/carrot-ginger-soup
    • 4 C carrots
    • 1 T plus 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh peeled ginger
    • etc.

Pro tip: I stopped peeling ginger years back - the "skin" is so thin it is not noticeable when present.

This looks amazing! Adding it to my list of things to make. :)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member

This was something I learned from you last year, and it means I use ginger a lot more. It used to be a huge pain.
  • missiontofitness
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

This was something I learned from you last year, and it means I use ginger a lot more. It used to be a huge pain.

I also just got a Ninja blender, and it pulverizes anything; it advertises itself as a blender where you can keep skins on (for more nutrition). I'm not sure how much extra nutrition is in the peel of ginger and would argue I'm not benefiting much from it, but hey. I like the convenience of not needing to peel things!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Alternately on ginger peel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuKMUGdKE1s
  • loveisapineapple
    loveisapineapple Posts: 38 Member
    My favourite is carrot, apple and celery.