syncing with Fitbit questions

I have a fitbit charge 2, and prefer to log my meals in MFP. The food I eat registers on my fitbit app, but the exercises I clock with Fitbit don't register with MFP. If I log it with MFP, it registers twice on Fitbit app. Also, If I have MFP use my fitbit to count steps, it gives me way too many calories burned by the end of the day. What should my settings be to have the best accurate reportings?

Replies

• Bejboutin
    Bejboutin Posts: 4 Member
    Not sure about the first part, but I agree, MFP syncing the Fitbit steps gives way too many calories. I ignore mine.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Bejboutin wrote: »
    Not sure about the first part, but I agree, MFP syncing the Fitbit steps gives way too many calories. I ignore mine.

For many, the calories are pretty accurate. In fact, mine are a wee bit under.

I'd suggest doing this and see if it helps with syncing errors. It worked for me.

By going to My applications on your online Dashboard settings and clicking on Revoke Access on the apps you'd like to reset their connection. (keep in mind that this can only be done using a computer)

After revoking the access, link the apps once again. To link MFP:

In the App Gallery, find Fitbit and click Connect.
    Click Allow to give MyFitnessPal access to your Fitbit data.
    Follow the instructions provided.
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Some answers to the following might help:

Do you have negative calorie adjustments enabled?
    What did you tell mfp your activity level was on a normal day?
    How many steps do you take on a typical day?
    How long have you had your Fitbit synced to mfp, and why are you so certain the calories Fitbit gives you are inflated?

I ask all of these questions as someone who has her fibit synced to mfp, and for whom the adjustments seem to be accurate (based on expected vs actual weight loss). For reference, I take between 12-17,000 steps on a typical day. I’m 5 foot 1 and around 179 pounds. Fitbit says I burn between 2,600-3,000 each day.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,546 Member
    edited January 2019
    mammacoty wrote: »
    I have a fitbit charge 2, and prefer to log my meals in MFP. The food I eat registers on my fitbit app, but the exercises I clock with Fitbit don't register with MFP. If I log it with MFP, it registers twice on Fitbit app. Also, If I have MFP use my fitbit to count steps, it gives me way too many calories burned by the end of the day. What should my settings be to have the best accurate reportings?

Log food on MFP. Log exercise on Fitbit or let it do it's thing automatically without extra input from you. You could always make a manual wall post about your exercise if you want your friends to know what you did.

Eat all or a set percentage of your Fitbit calculated tdee and measure your weight change using a trending weight app such as trendweight. Compare your expected and actual results over a 3 to 4 week period and adjust your percentage based on actual results.

3.5 years in, even with my current, less accurate, food logging, I still end up within 5% of my Fitbit calculated TDEE--and yes, this is not true for everybody; but it is true for A LOT of people.