Decent Estimate for Non-Standard Exercise?

Options
I don’t get much enjoyment from the traditional “gym workout” style of exercise, but I do want to increase my activity level. One way I’m accomplishing that is through volunteering. I’ve done several walking-based activities, which were straightforward to log, but today I am a bit stumped.

I participated in a beach cleanup where I spent 90min walking in loose, pebbly sand, occasionally hauling 40-50lb bags up the length of the beach (about 1/2km).

Walking at a slow pace is estimated at 380cal, & I’ve read that walking in sand burns 20-50% more. Would you say 500cal is a decent estimate?

I don’t want to over-estimate, but don’t want to sell myself short either...

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,860 Member
    Options
    Go with walking at a slow pace.

Is there any benefit to randomly choosing a higher calorie burn?
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

No, but there is a danger in vastly under-estimating: dropping my intake too low. I know what 90-120min of walking feels like and this was much more physically intense. I plan to do this on a fairly regular basis, so it’s important to me that it be reasonably accurate.

I suppose next time I could borrow my spouse’s FitBit. I’m pretty far under for today anyhow, and it’s evening so I don’t think I’ll be eating anything back regardless. I’ll just use any difference as cushion until I can get a more accurate estimate.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I'd call it 380, if it's actually 500 then that's 120 cals of extra deficit that day, or 360 cals of extra deficit over the week (if doing it regularly is 3 x a week) If you lose half a pound more than expected after 2 weeks then you know you're under estimating by 120 cals....
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

No, but there is a danger in vastly under-estimating: dropping my intake too low. I know what 90-120min of walking feels like and this was much more physically intense. I plan to do this on a fairly regular basis, so it’s important to me that it be reasonably accurate.

I suppose next time I could borrow my spouse’s FitBit. I’m pretty far under for today anyhow, and it’s evening so I don’t think I’ll be eating anything back regardless. I’ll just use any difference as cushion until I can get a more accurate estimate.

From your earlier post: "Walking at a slow pace is estimated at 380cal, & I’ve read that walking in sand burns 20-50% more. Would you say 500cal is a decent estimate?"

Underestimating calories by 120 a day will not result in anything "dangerously low". Remember the are allow ranges in the measurement of calories in foods and the estimates of calorie burn by individuals is even a bigger range.

You MAY lose a bit more than straight walking but nothing to approach a danger.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

From your earlier post: "Walking at a slow pace is estimated at 380cal, & I’ve read that walking in sand burns 20-50% more. Would you say 500cal is a decent estimate?"

Underestimating calories by 120 a day will not result in anything "dangerously low". Remember the are allow ranges in the measurement of calories in foods and the estimates of calorie burn by individuals is even a bigger range.

You MAY lose a bit more than straight walking but nothing to approach a danger.

That. Unless you've already set yourself an overly aggressive weight loss goal (don't!).