Options
2»

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    AthenaBosi wrote: »

That’s not how it works... whether the calories come from a shake or a “well balanced meal” doesn’t matter, as long as they put you into a surplus. If your concerned about the nutrition aspect of it then sure, you can avoid empty calories and shakes, but there’s no reason to avoid them as they certainly don’t keep you from gaining weight. In fact I would argue that “empty calories” are better for weight gain as they tend to be made up of lots of sugar, oils and fats which are more calorie dense.

I agree with you on the calorie surplus. I just feel like drinking 2600 calories of protein shakes is a little excessive with only 600 cals of solid food. I'm merely suggesting to try eating more solid foods and see what happens. Still reach your calories and macros. I might be wrong. Empty calories don't help me, but that's me. Every body is different. It's all about trial and error and seeing what works for you.

I get what you’re suggesting, I’m just not understanding the logic behind it. Whether the calories are liquid, solid, or “empty” doesn’t matter. They’re all still calories and if eaten in a surplus, will cause weight gain. There’s no need to overcomplicate things by omitting foods from one’s diet or claiming that the body “throws away” extra stuff, whatever that means.

I just don't think a calorie is a calorie. This is based off my own experience but there is research on it. Our bodies process different nutrients differently so while she may think she's consuming a certain amount of calories, she might be absorbing less due to digestion. She can easily up her calories even more but changing her resource might be just as effective. It's pretty interesting. There could be research saying otherwise too. I'm not saying you need to omit certain foods so I'm sorry if I worded that badly.

a calorie is a calorie as its a unit of energy doesnt matter the source,as for processing certain nutrients differently it still isnt going to negate CICO, your body will still digest your food unless you have digestive issues and even then I still believe CICO is part of the equation when it comes to weight loss,gain and maintenance
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options

I just don't think a calorie is a calorie. This is based off my own experience but there is research on it. Our bodies process different nutrients differently so while she may think she's consuming a certain amount of calories, she might be absorbing less due to digestion. She can easily up her calories even more but changing her resource might be just as effective. It's pretty interesting. There could be research saying otherwise too. I'm not saying you need to omit certain foods so I'm sorry if I worded that badly.

There is research on it, a ton of research actually. I suggest looking into it and you’ll quickly learn that, even in your own experience, your body is not excempt to CICO. Essentially what the research states is that a calorie is a unit of energy, the amount of energy is takes to raise the temperature of 1kg of water 1 degree Celsius. We know according to the law of conservation of energy that energy cannot be created nor destroyed, only transformed. The body takes the calories in their macronutrient forms (protein, carbs, and fats) and breaks them down into subunits which then go through different metabolic pathways and are used by the body for various things or stored. Different foods do have different energy contents which is how we get the 4 calories per gram of protein and carbs and 9 calories per gram of fat. In essence, yes, your body uses different calories in different ways, but a calorie is still a calorie. For example, carbs are broken down into simple sugars that are used for different purposes than the amino acids derived from proteins, but eating an abundance of either carbs or protein will cause weight gain either way.

TLDR; your body uses calories differently, but a calorie is still a calorie.
  • deadliftsandnoodles
    Options
    Peanut putter in your protein shakes will do the trick yo
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited December 2018
    Options

There is research on it, a ton of research actually. I suggest looking into it and you’ll quickly learn that, even in your own experience, your body is not excempt to CICO. Essentially what the research states is that a calorie is a unit of energy, the amount of energy is takes to raise the temperature of 1kg of water 1 degree Celsius. We know according to the law of conservation of energy that energy cannot be created nor destroyed, only transformed. The body takes the calories in their macronutrient forms (protein, carbs, and fats) and breaks them down into subunits which then go through different metabolic pathways and are used by the body for various things or stored. Different foods do have different energy contents which is how we get the 4 calories per gram of protein and carbs and 9 calories per gram of fat. In essence, yes, your body uses different calories in different ways, but a calorie is still a calorie. For example, carbs are broken down into simple sugars that are used for different purposes than the amino acids derived from proteins, but eating an abundance of either carbs or protein will cause weight gain either way.

TLDR; your body uses calories differently, but a calorie is still a calorie.

eating an abundance of fat will also cause weight gain if it causes you to eat more than you burn
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options

eating an abundance of fat will also cause weight gain if it causes you to eat more than you burn

I’m aware, I was just comparing the subunits of carbs and proteins as an example. But yes, fats are broken down into fatty acids and although used differently as well, will cause weight gain if eaten in abundance.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

I’m aware, I was just comparing the subunits of carbs and proteins as an example. But yes, fats are broken down into fatty acids and although used differently as well, will cause weight gain if eaten in abundance.

just clearing things up as many think they can eat as much fat as they want and still lose
  • cacapipilaproute
    cacapipilaproute Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    So, I have come here before and I’m here again! I am drinking 2 protein shakes a day, I add stuff in which makes both shakes total about 2,600 calories per day! Plus I’m eating 2 meals a day and snacks on top of it. My question is, do protein shakes just not work for everyone? Is it REAL calories? I just don’t want to keep wasting money and time if they just don’t work for everyone! I always though: a calorie is a calorie.

Side note: taking in over 3,200 calories a day and barely gaining .
    So, I have come here before and I’m here again! I am drinking 2 protein shakes a day, I add stuff in which makes both shakes total about 2,600 calories per day! Plus I’m eating 2 meals a day and snacks on top of it. My question is, do protein shakes just not work for everyone? Is it REAL calories? I just don’t want to keep wasting money and time if they just don’t work for everyone! I always though: a calorie is a calorie.

That's insane are you doing a lot of intense cardio if you weigh 106 and are eating 3200 calories a day you should be packng on weight, and not just muscle! 3200 seems excessive for a thin petson thats barely over 100 pounds I suspect that you are overestimating you calorie intake or burning too many calories
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

That's insane are you doing a lot of intense cardio if you weigh 106 and are eating 3200 calories a day you should be packng on weight, and not just muscle! 3200 seems excessive for a thin petson thats barely over 100 pounds I suspect that you are overestimating you calorie intake or burning too many calories

even if she had a health issue she should be gaining something
  • ceebrawl2018
    ceebrawl2018 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

No work outs at all! Active during the day just doing my normal stuff . No medical condition. No over estimating - I calculate to a T. It’s literally crazy lol my whole family
    Is like this 🤷🏻‍♀️ this was posted awhile ago! I’m doing better now and made it over 110!