One Week dieting and exercising and didn't lose any weight!

Options
What's wrong with me? Sometimes I think I will never lose any weight... I am trying hard, eating well, exercising well. I've joined a gym to help things out, but nothing yet! I need to do a procedure and need to lose weight asap! Anybody here that can give me some tips, advise? Usually I am pretty positive and outgoing, but with no change even one ounce of my weight is stressing me out. Is this normal for the first week? Thanks a lot!!!

Replies

• kleinmother3
    kleinmother3 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking a lot of water?
  • horizonte22
    Options
    Hi, usually six to seven cups a day...
  • salmanajmal
    salmanajmal Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    well. weight loss is a slow process. i calculate my weight loss on the basis of my weekly calories instead of daily. i faced the same thing as you do. actually when you start reducing weight, during a couple of first weeks, you stop the increasing trend. in a couple of weeks your weight stops and then starts decreasing. i guess you are facing the same problem. don worry and don give up. you will be getting good signals very soon
  • CLynnette
    Options
    Stressing isn't going to help things.
    Sometimes it takes a little longer then we'd like to get things rolling! You'll be fine! Stay positive, keep working hard, and I'm sure you will see results soon!
    (:
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    can't see your diary
  • dustinjohnson13
    Options
    Your body goes through a delayed reaction during the first 2-3 weeks (at least it seemed for me). Give it a couple weeks and then see where you're at. I know it's hard, but weight loss doesn't happen in a linear fashion...
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If you made your diary public we could help more. There could be many reasons why you didn't lose. It's possible you could have made better food choices, worked out different, drank more water, drank less calories or even that you need to see a doctor to have some tests run.
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It's only been a week. It takes time to reprogram your body and undo all the bad habits, poor eating, lack of exercise etc. Stick with it and you will start seeing results. If after a sustained amount of time (a few months even) and you are still not seeing results check with your doctor. But nothing is going to change overnight, this is a slow process and a lifetime of changes. Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Only one week? You have to have more patience than that, hon. I've been here nearly 2 years.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Here's how I started:

1) tracking for a couple of weeks before I worried about losing.
    (although seeing what I was eating I couldn't help but rein back a bit)

2) seeing where I could make small changes on things that weren't that important to me.
    (Don't even think of taking chocolate out of my diet!!!)
    --Reducing quantities where I won't notice it so much
    --Swapping out things instead of eliminating them.

3) Look at my diary and started adding foods that had positive healthy effects specifically for the health issue in my family.
    I found most of the things I "should" add were really yummy too! salmon, avocado, oatmeal, mango, red grapes....
    (Sort of think of food as medicine to deal with family history of various health issue oatmeal is good for heart health, mango and red grapes lower cholesterol, tumeric and cinnamon good for arthritis)

4) every couple of weeks I see where I can make another couple of small changes.
    If you completely revamp your diet, it's way easy to revert to old ways in times of stress.
    If you make a series of small changes, food still offers you some sense of comfort.
    sort of a comfort continuum, and after a while the first small changes will seem comforting in themselves.
    You don't have to be perfect you just have to do better.

5) also rather than being uberstrict with the target MFP set for me I did the math to find out the calories needed to maintain my goal weight and my current weight and I gave myself a range with 1200 as my rock bottom, lose 1 lb/wk as my target*** and maintain my goal weight as the top of my range. As long as I keep within in this range I'll lose. I tend to naturally zig zag my calories 3-4 at very close to my target and then a higher calorie day closer to the top of my range.

As long as I stayed under maintain my current weight calories I won't gain. So no need to throw in the towel, just pick-up where I left off.

Once I found ways to lessen the stress, I found it way easier to focus on the process and let the results follow. (It's what worked for me some people need the stress to get them motivated. Me I get scared and overwhelmed and don't see the big goal as acheivable. I only worry about it 1 lb at a time.)

I did have to take a break for a month due to a health scare, but otherwise I kept with the slow and steady approach. Took me 9 months (including the month off) At first I lost at the rate of about 3 lbs per month, but the closer you get to the goal the slower it goes. So be patient and hang in there.

***also once my lose 1 lb/week target was down to 1200 calories I switch to lose 1/2 lb/ week (1200 cal rock bottom, 1/2 lb/week as my target, maintain goal weight as the high end of my range.)

Food is not the enemy.
    Oddly enough on my journey here I've reduced guilt over food.
    I have the occassional treat and I fully enjoy it with no guilt involved.
    The thing is since I'm not eating crap all the time the occassional treat is just that a TREAT it's special and I enjoy it so much more than when I was unconsciously shovel junk food into my face.

I figure if I've got a good plan that I can actually maintain I can keep this off for a long time to come, without feeling deprived.

Good Luck
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    It's only been a week. It takes time to reprogram your body and undo all the bad habits, poor eating, lack of exercise etc. Stick with it and you will start seeing results. If after a sustained amount of time (a few months even) and you are still not seeing results check with your doctor. But nothing is going to change overnight, this is a slow process and a lifetime of changes. Best of luck! :flowerforyou:

Make your diary public, it will help to get better advice.
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I look at it this way, my mom told me that she feels it takes about 3 months when you start a new job to really begin to feel comfortable there. This is your new job...give yourself some time and try not to freak out. Put that energy into making sure what you put in your mouth is healthy, you're eating a proper amount of calories each day and you're getting exercise. Maybe even give up your scale for a month or two just until you get into your groove. This should be the beginning of a new lifestyle for you, not a get thin quick scheme. Good Luck! There's lots of support on here.
  • mampm1
    mampm1 Posts: 88
    Options
    I agree with all...need to see your diary. What type of exercise are you doing at the gym? And for how long? Do you sweat? That may be a funny/strange question, but I see so many people at the gym that get on a treadmill and don't even break a sweat! I know why, but I wonder what they are there for. We're all here to help each other. We're in this together!
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    it might help if you open your diary so others can take a look at it..without being able to see it, it is hard to know why...but it has only been a week...give your body time...maybe your getting too many calories maybe not enough...like i said it is hard to tell without seeing your diary...

Eat at least 1200-1500 calories
    Drink at least 8 8oz cups of water (if not 10-12)
    Watch your sodium
    Exercise at least 30 minutes a day 3x a week

This should do something to move the scale...
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    remember it took longer than a week for you to gain it, so it will take longer to lose it and then after you start losing you may have times when you dont lose, heck i just lost 3 lbs after 4 months of not losing, you have to focus on overall health
  • gbelltx
    gbelltx Posts: 142
    Options
    Losing weight and living healthy is a marathon and not a sprint. It’s not about how fast you get out of the blocks but how consistent you are throughout your journey.
  • hpygirl64ColleenLinder
    Options
    Exercise and eating healthy is not just about the scale but it's about how your fueling your body to live a longer and more effective life, feeling more confident, and just plain being healthy. If you are consistent it will no doubt pay off with all this PLUS your weight will go down. I agree with setting your food diary to viewable by friends for anyone to see the bigger picture of what your doing.
    It is my personal opinion and experience that MFP allows the average person too many carbs and not enough protein so I have those that I help on here customize them.

Suggestions for success:

1. Be sure to fuel your fire (your body) every 2.5 to 3 hours and with no more then 30 grams protein
    2. Drink loads of water, often times we are thirsty when we think we're hungry (this hydrates and makes you feel full.
    3. Be sure to not just do aerobic activity but to incorporate weight resistance
    4. Keep logging in EVERYTHING you are eating and doing and be sure your eating back most of you exercise calories
    5. BE patient with yourself. It didn't go on in one week and it will take longer then a week to see some real results.
    6. Get an accountability partner or group (I can help with this) to be sure you are staying committed

Feel free everyone to friend me for some positve calorie free food for thought, Colleen (Seattle)
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Apparently one week is a lot longer to some individuals than to others. If you're looking to lose a lot of weight after JUST a week, then search for fad diets, cleanses, Alli, HCG, and all types of other methods that none of us, on a lifestyle change [meaning a style of life], would advocate. You're gonna need an assload of patience for results to happen. And I'm being nice here. Ask around.
  • futurefitgirl88
    Options
    hahaha i'm in the same boat as you!
    I think it is about persistence and dedication. :) If did did not happen for you this week, it will happen next week.

One step at a time. Some say, the slower the weight comes off, the longer it stays that way!
  • horizonte22
    Options
    Thank you everybody for everything! I just changed my profile to public. I'm new here so I didn't know! I will keep reading. I just started at Golds Gym and am trying all kinds of group exercising like: Zumba, Groove, Power, Kick... I did some this past week and I am feeling great. But everytime I weight myself I don't see any change... I may be a little excited to see results, but I will keep doing it. It's for my health. One more time, thank you everybody for the support! I really appreciate it!