How do you get 180g of protein a day?

Options
I've done all the reading and math and it's suggested I get 1 gram of protein per pound of weight. I'm having a hard time getting 180grams of protein a day.
Breakfast is a paleo breakfast casserole with eggs, cheese and sausage. Lots of protein and lots of fat.
Lunch is usually a salad with some kind of meat- tuna, canned chicken, grilled chicken steak, etc.
I do 1 or two protein shakes a day at 20grams per shake.
Dinner includes some type of lean meat.

But I keep coming up short. I'm trying to hit 2,700 calorie/day. May not be a reasonable goal. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    fschaefer4 wrote: »
    I've done all the reading and math and it's suggested I get 1 gram of protein per pound of weight. I'm having a hard time getting 180grams of protein a day.
    Breakfast is a paleo breakfast casserole with eggs, cheese and sausage. Lots of protein and lots of fat.
    Lunch is usually a salad with some kind of meat- tuna, canned chicken, grilled chicken steak, etc.
    I do 1 or two protein shakes a day at 20grams per shake.
    Dinner includes some type of lean meat.

But I keep coming up short. I'm trying to hit 2,700 calorie/day. May not be a reasonable goal. Any suggestions are appreciated.

0.6 to 0.8g is adequate.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I think you read it wrong or misinterpreted. .6 - .8 is plenty per lb.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Easy... i like protein... lol
  • fschaefer4
    fschaefer4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I realized a huge mistake on my part was basing it on lean body mass. I have no idea what my fat % is, so if I just estimate at 20%, then my protein intake should be around 114g at .8g/LBM. Either way, I can eat a lot less of it.

I used to be able to work out hard for a couple weeks and get back to decent weight. At my age, 48, I need to be a lot more strategic about it.
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    One way to easily up your protein is to add Greek yogurt to your protein shakes.

I blend ice, yogurt and protein powder, OMG delicious milkshake packed w protein.

Depending if I'm looking to add carbs or fat, I'll also add berries, a banana, either real PB or powdered PB.

A choc, PB banana shake...heavenly!

Protein shakes have been very effective in satisfying my sweet tooth. I vary amounts of ingredients depending on cals/macros.

A before bed small shake of just yogurt and protein powder is my dessert.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I eat my protein closer to 1.5g/lb, which is not necessary but it is how I like to eat. I get most of my protein from real food. I eat multiple times a day and there is about 40 grams per meal. I also add 2 shakes a day and a protein cookie I make at night. This nets me about 300 grams a day
  • rsilr
    rsilr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Your protein shake is pretty weak, most whey protein shakes contain 25-30g per scoop.
    That will add 5-20g per day.
    The liquid egg whites are key, great way to get easy protein on low Cals.
    You’re not really saying what your goals are, g per lb goal can change depending..
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    RAFLowCarb wrote: »
    Think you’ve answered your own question there... the Lean Body Mass thing. It took me a while too and I found a special set of scales at my gym that worked out my LBM from my age, weight and it used an electrical signal from handles you hold. I gather they have them in some chemists/pharmacies too. It’s also guessed at my BMR. It’s sounds like you’re doing a LCHF type diet too .... have a look at some of the videos on YouTube with Dr Ted Neiman - he has a really good protein hypothesis that makes lots of sense.

Those types of BIA scales can be off by as much as 8%. Mine bathroom scale says I'm 15% when I have squiggly veins in my shoulders and a six pack. The hand held device says I'm 15% when I'm quite fluffy and probably closer to that 20%... I'd rather go by the mirror or if I ever really care about that number I'd spring for a DEXA scan or a dunk.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    RAFLowCarb wrote: »
    Think you’ve answered your own question there... the Lean Body Mass thing. It took me a while too and I found a special set of scales at my gym that worked out my LBM from my age, weight and it used an electrical signal from handles you hold. I gather they have them in some chemists/pharmacies too. It’s also guessed at my BMR. It’s sounds like you’re doing a LCHF type diet too .... have a look at some of the videos on YouTube with Dr Ted Neiman - he has a really good protein hypothesis that makes lots of sense.

Those types of BIA scales can be off by as much as 8%. Mine bathroom scale says I'm 15% when I have squiggly veins in my shoulders and a six pack. The hand held device says I'm 15% when I'm quite fluffy and probably closer to that 20%... I'd rather go by the mirror or if I ever really care about that number I'd spring for a DEXA scan or a dunk.

Y'know, I 100% agree with you about the accuracy of the devices, in general. Just facts.

At the same time, given the general squishiness of protein goals, even when research-based (https://examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-do-you-need/), and usually stated as a range, I'm not that excited if I estimate a protein goal and the basis is off by 8%.

If that deeply worries me, I can take the calculated protein goal, and bump it up a little. A little extra protein, on top of a roughly reasonable protein goal, isn't likely to hurt a healthy person; it's just slightly expensive calories. A little less than ideal probably isn't a recipe for malnutrition, either, if the starting point is non-crazy. Even for a somewhat larger person, we're probably talking about a variation of 15-20g, if they're targeting one of the higher protein ranges. JMO.

I wouldn't say the same thing about all other possible uses of BF%, though.
  • psychod787
    Options
    Actually has been a study on the effects of high protein diets on traines lifters where most of surplus comes from protein. Gained lean mass... lost fat mass. Antonio Campbell USF.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Actually has been a study on the effects of high protein diets on traines lifters where most of surplus comes from protein. Gained lean mass... lost fat mass. Antonio Campbell USF.

Got a link for that?
  • psychod787
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Got a link for that?

Yea and no... I have a YouTube interview where he talks about the study.. sorry Jose Antonio...https://youtu.be/BZpYH3HegiI
  • tonyfastz06
    tonyfastz06 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My latest research, i do so much of it i can't recall from where exactly, indicated that an over consumption of calories of purely lean protein is virtually impossible to convert into storage fats... this would support @psychod787 's statement above as well.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Got a link for that?

Yea and no... I have a YouTube interview where he talks about the study.. sorry Jose Antonio...https://youtu.be/BZpYH3HegiI

Thanks!