Fall off bone ribs, fat?

Options
MDC2957
MDC2957 Posts: 417 Member
I just made perfect fall off the bone baby back ribs in the slow cooker. Literally only the bones were left, so good... I didn't taste much if any "fat" Does that mean the fat content is lower than what the nutrition facts show?

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list Go here and search for "ribs". Many of the choices are cooked. Compare the calories in the cooked varieties to those in the raw ribs. If cooked is lower in calories and fat, then that confirms the fat has been substantially rendered away.
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    Yes, it absorbed back into the porcelain. You are welcome.

Can confirm, porcelain is great fat absorber, great to take grease off pizza as well.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    MDC2957 wrote: »
    I just made perfect fall off the bone baby back ribs in the slow cooker. Literally only the bones were left, so good... I didn't taste much if any "fat" Does that mean the fat content is lower than what the nutrition facts show?

No, you rendered the fat. It's going to be in the dish. If you want to be safe, use the nutrition facts or the USDA entry for the cut of meat.

If you eat that kind of dish rarely, it doesn't matter anyway. If you eat it regularly and are losing more quickly than expected you can adjust.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    The fat is still there but some of it is in the liquid in the crockpot and the rest is in the rib meat. It will be hard to tell what the ratio is though. Calorie counting is all about estimates.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Cooked ribs have about 4 calories per gram. If you use the rendered fat, you have to count it elsewhere. Here in porkopolis well cooked ribs leave the connective tissue on the bone and the meat separates. Its a fine point, but one that the truly rib-obsessed care about. Try slow roasting them in the oven at about 225F all day.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    Cooked ribs have about 4 calories per gram. If you use the rendered fat, you have to count it elsewhere. Here in porkopolis well cooked ribs leave the connective tissue on the bone and the meat separates. Its a fine point, but one that the truly rib-obsessed care about. Try slow roasting them in the oven at about 225F all day.

I have no clue what you just said. The slow cooker was bomb. The bones were cleaned off just by picking up the ribs. 8 hours on low. 😁

Ribs are better BBQ'd than cooked in a crockpot, I think that was Wilson's point.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    Low and slow.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

I have no clue what you just said. The slow cooker was bomb. The bones were cleaned off just by picking up the ribs. 8 hours on low. 😁

Ribs are better BBQ'd than cooked in a crockpot, I think that was Wilson's point.

Ribs are actually great in a crockpot. But count the fat!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Heck no, I failed on the grill a few times. Slow cooker, followed by short broil.

They're good BBQ'd (low and slow in a smoker), in the oven (also low and slow), and I would assume in a slow cooker (never tried but I believe you). They're just all different (though I've seriously cut down on my pork consumption for non-health related reasons). Mind you, I don't think Wilson was talking about bbqing them being the One True Way (they mentioned the oven) so there were no BBQ purest tendencies there ;)

That said, on to the rendered fat bit, if the fat has been rendered from the meat that means that some of said fat (the rendered bit) is no longer in the meat. If you were to chill the juices that were in the crock pot, that solidified fat on top is what rendered out. If you decide to eat said fat with the meat, you need to account for it in the calories you report on MFP, that's what was meant by "If you use the rendered fat, you have to count it elsewhere."

So for instance, when I make chicken stock from scratch I typically use meat and bones and I, of course, strain it after it's simmered for X number of hours. While I don't have the fat that is left in the skin in the stock, I do have what has been rendered out in the process of cooking. That said, after I chill it I seperate the fat, which has solidified, from the stock (which has gelatinized) so there's next to no fat in the stock in the end. I do save the fat, but I might not use it in the same dish that the stock is being used in.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

Of course, you can eat anything you want, fixed any way you want. But, I was simply pointing out to you that there is a connective tissue membrane between the bone and the meat. It is tasteless and rubbery if you separate it from the meat and explore it you will see what I mean. Or, as you did, one can just eat it because it came off the bone with the meat due to too much cooking. I was trying to give you a little headsup in case you wanted to improve your rib experience. If you take your crockpot story over to The Smoke Ring or other barbecue forum they would savage you.

Sorry, my dude. I thought you were getting all purist on us. My bad!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    Heck no, I failed on the grill a few times. Slow cooker, followed by short broil.

I cook my ribs this way too,..but I do not eat.drink.use all that juice in the crock pot but the ribs are too die for. <3