Group Exercise Classes - Do you take them and why?! Just gathering opinions and misconceptions

Replies

• MikeNASMGFI
    MikeNASMGFI Posts: 21 Member
    @lorrpb I digress. I’ll explain further what I meant. I will always provide modifications to the audience. The instructor has to know the audience and adjust to that. You’ll never find me being disrespectful and all I meant is at times I’ll offer additional modifications and it can be as simple and widen your stance or decrease the depth of your lunge. The class I teach most often is HIIT, which is why I tend to skew to that. But I also teach fundamental strength and unlike HIIT is far less about pace than it is learning moves to benefit you in everyday circumstances. In HIIT, just in this example, everyone might have good form to start and that’s all great. However, if I am in fact doing the moves with the class, I’ll call out modifications ( regressions or progressions) and show how they can be done. I myself am a visual learner and it’s how I like to teach. That said form wins every time. I don’t care what the workout that day may be. I apologize if that was poorly expressed.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    and call it out if I scan the room and see someone having bad form or is struggling.

Do you stand at the front of the room, scan the room, see someone having bad form or struggling ... and single them out?

"Hey ... you in the blue ... yes, you ... widen your stance!"

If that's what you mean, and I happened to be in a class where you did that to me or anyone else, I wouldn't return.

If however, you didn't mean "call it out" and actually meant that you circulate through the room and quietly suggest to certain people that it could be more effective if they just widened their stance slight (or whatever), then that's a different story. That could actually be helpful.

• MikeNASMGFI
    @Machka9 I’d love the chance to explain further what I meant here. Starters those are certainly not terms I use for my class. When I say push my bodyweight further, I mean personally the strength I’ve been able to gain through taking group fitness myself has allowed me to jump further higher, chase after my dogs more quickly, etc.. But no I never ever will use that as some sort of queue in a class. I never base a class off the number of reps one can do, I always go time based and am not worried about tempo more than I am form. Everyone has a different tempo. My pace may not be the same as someone next to me, nor should it be. If you’re working hard and pushing yourself, you’re fine.

I have seen several (albeit mainly guys) that are reluctant to come into a group fitness class because ethers rather spend 3 hours lifting heavy. In my own experience, and again mainly guys, think they have to throw around heavy dumbbells when all they need is half that weight and worn their muscles to fatigue. This is where pace can set in and play a role. If the weight is too light you can speed it up, if it is too heavy slow down or drop down in weight. But that’s exactly the idea, you don’t need heavy weights in order to gain strength. If you can get good reps in with good form, something I always watch for during class, then you are perfectly fine. I agree with everything you mentioned, just me typing quickly and not differentiating what I have been able to do in my own box what I actually say in a class setting. I can tell you here is my focus in any class...flow of the class (warmup/body/cooldown), playlists (make them fit the class that day) andalways offer visual and audio queues. I myself am a visual learner which is why I always demo the modifications prior to and during the move. Great call out and I look forward to talking with you more!
  • MikeNASMGFI
    I scan the room and offer suggestions without calling someone out. If j see someone struggling I will say something like “everyone looks great, if you feel your form is lagging here a reason a few other options you can do so we can keep good form, otherwise great work we have 30 seconds left then rest. It’s a group setting so I address the group, not the individual. Sometimes someone has straight up asked am I doing this right, if they aren’t I will show them the form they need to use.
  • jbauer0010
    jbauer0010 Posts: 12 Member
    I enjoy kickboxing classes but I don't like other group exercise classes. Maybe because I feel less pressure to keep up with the more athletic people and thus work at my own pace better? Or I like to see everyone suffering with me lol
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    I do yoga and OTF classes and really enjoy them. In the past I've also taken classes at the standard gym chain and ended up stopping pretty quickly. So here are the things I like about my current classes and disliked about the other ones.

1. Classes should have a max attendance and advance signup with a wait list. I've been in classes where there were so many people in the room for the one evening step class that it was no longer safe. There should have been a class limit and signup sheet. They easily had enough attendees to split the class and have two full classes per night.

2. There should a focus per class and some change up. I like how the OTF classes have different focus on different days, both in type of cardio and in muscle focus for the weight portion. My yoga classes rotate through different routines based on season. Having practically the same routine every week until the instructor decides to make a new play list sucks.

3. Be available and talk. Just walking in to fiddle with equipment and then start is bad. Hanging out to greet people as they walk in gives them the chance to privately tell you about their needs that day (injury, illness, etc). Also focus the group by review what is being done that day and welcome the group.

4. My ears shouldn't be hurting at the end of class. It shouldn't be a battle between the raising volumes of the instructor's headset and the music volume. If you can't be heard over the music, turn it down. If you are loud, don't turn up the music. I shouldn't want to wear earplugs.

5. Get out of the instructor invisible box and walk around. OTF instructors are constantly walking around and helping. The studio assistants come by and refill your water bottle. Yoga instructors circulate. Enough people should be there who can follow verbal cues alone that you shouldn't need to "demonstrate" all the way through class. I'm not paying to watch you workout.

• leiflung
    leiflung Posts: 83 Member
    I exercise almost exclusively at a studio. I do yoga which is notorious for this. A kind of magic happens at the studio that doesn't happen at home.

A big part of why is that a lot of exercise is conducive to dissociation. I can put music on and start running and just zone out. I used to use exercise to dissociate.

I don't want to any more, though. I want to be fully present, paying attention to my body and what it's doing. Being in the studio helps with that.

There is also the fact that humans are herd animals. We feel the need to be around other people. If other people are all doing a certain thing, we will feel compelled to do it as well. Why not use that to your advantage?

Correction is a huge issue as well. Yoga asks us to use our bodies with great care. No matter how advanced you are, there is room for improvement. Few have "perfect" form. And, the better you get, it's crazy how the tiniest little adjustment from the teacher can make such a huge difference in how a pose feels.

And YES the community is amazing, such a kind, welcoming, motivating group of people.

I think the biggest misconception is that people will judge you for being overweight or a rank beginner. The benefits I've gotten from yoga have been so amazing, I want everybody to do it. I'm excited for beginners. I wish I knew how to encourage people to stay because it gets so good.

Another misconception I think is that yoga teachers all chant in Sanskrit and talk about chakras. There are tons who don't buy into any of that stuff. I don't buy into it but I also don't mind it. But, if it annoys you, you can easily find teachers who never do it and don't like it any more than you do.

The final misconception is that it's for women. It isn't dudes do it Dudes love it. We don't mind dudes in the class. You might not be as flexible, but you'll probably have the upper body strength to do arm balances right out of the gate so don't be shy. All are welcome.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    @MikeNASMGFI thank you for the clarifications. We all can tend to get a little cryptic on social media. I like an instructor who circulates and gives me specific corrections. An instructor can say to the class ,"do x" and I can tell you that’s how it should be done, but I might not have the body awareness to realize I’m not doing it that way and need to make an adjustment. Sounds like you are a great instructor.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    I do and I love them. It breaks up the monotony of doing the same thing week after week. My gym offers dozens of classes and they are all included in the cost of membership so it makes it affordable. I do boxing, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, bootcamp, cardio kickboxing, a core blast class, and yoga. What misconceptions do you hear about?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    The occasional spin class.
  • Ed_Zilla
    Ed_Zilla Posts: 207 Member
    edited January 2019
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I go to spin classes during the winter.
    They can be motivating and I can get a good workout.
    There's a bit of a social aspect and maybe a hint of "peer pressure" to push me harder than I might do on my own.
    But ... the instructor has to be really good and should cycle outside as well.
    I've encountered a few who have never been outside on a bicycle and make some pretty ridiculous suggestions.

This ^^^

The thing that drives me back outside ASAP - from spin class - is when the instructor does cycling up/downs. Never in my many many miles of cycling have I ever done repeated up/downs seconds apart. So when this happens in spin class, I go up, stay up, and sit down when the insanity is over.
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    I take group classes and do enjoy them. There is definitely a sense of accountability once you become a regular and people expect you to be there.

One thing I wanted to mention that is a pet peeve of mine when it comes to classes - is that the description online/app/wherever your looking at the schedule, does not accurately describe the class. I understand that people have different levels of fitness, however in general I feel like it wouldn't be too hard to label certain classes as "Beginner, Advanced, Etc..." Last year, as a gym noob I found myself in classes on several occasions that I really wasn't prepared for and had no business being in, and looking back I'm honestly surprised I didn't injure myself. Being new, you have to rely on the class descriptions to know which class you want to try. If there's one that says "For all levels of fitness" you would think that it wouldn't be some intensely crazy class (with no modification offerings from the instructor) which is what happened to me a few times.

I know not all places are like this...but mine is and it drives me nuts. I obviously have learned what's what by now, but as a noob who was very scared to go to the gym in the first place, those first few bad experiences I had were almost enough to make me just completely stop going!
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    I would take them if they were offered at a time I could attend. Local gyms by me either offer classes during office hours, or don't offer classes at all. I am shy and don't want people watching me, but it would also let me get feedback on my form. I can always be by the back of the class, and remind myself we aren't there to show off we are there to get fit.

• lorrpb
    AmyC2288 wrote: »
    I take group classes and do enjoy them. There is definitely a sense of accountability once you become a regular and people expect you to be there.

One thing I wanted to mention that is a pet peeve of mine when it comes to classes - is that the description online/app/wherever your looking at the schedule, does not accurately describe the class. I understand that people have different levels of fitness, however in general I feel like it wouldn't be too hard to label certain classes as "Beginner, Advanced, Etc..." Last year, as a gym noob I found myself in classes on several occasions that I really wasn't prepared for and had no business being in, and looking back I'm honestly surprised I didn't injure myself. Being new, you have to rely on the class descriptions to know which class you want to try. If there's one that says "For all levels of fitness" you would think that it wouldn't be some intensely crazy class (with no modification offerings from the instructor) which is what happened to me a few times.

I know not all places are like this...but mine is and it drives me nuts. I obviously have learned what's what by now, but as a noob who was very scared to go to the gym in the first place, those first few bad experiences I had were almost enough to make me just completely stop going!

It seems that most classes are labelled for "all levels" because theoretically you almost always can modify. But it's up to the instructor to implement this and guide participatnts. Most class descriptions are generic for the facility and not based on specific instructors. Two different instructors can teach quite differently. As I mentioned above, I think a common instructor misconception is that people know how to modify and/or pace themselves. It takes a long time for newbies to learn this, IMO.
  • lorrpb
    Ed_Zilla wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I go to spin classes during the winter.
    They can be motivating and I can get a good workout.
    There's a bit of a social aspect and maybe a hint of "peer pressure" to push me harder than I might do on my own.
    But ... the instructor has to be really good and should cycle outside as well.
    I've encountered a few who have never been outside on a bicycle and make some pretty ridiculous suggestions.

This ^^^

The thing that drives me back outside ASAP - from spin class - is when the instructor does cycling up/downs. Never in my many many miles of cycling have I ever done repeated up/downs seconds apart. So when this happens in spin class, I go up, stay up, and sit down when the insanity is over.

They do that as a training technique, not because that's the way you ride. I don't think it's necessary for a spin instructor to ride outside. Spinning indoors is a legitimate exercise in and of itself. I do agree that spinning as training for outdoor cycling and/or bike or tri competitons requires different strategies.
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member

It seems that most classes are labelled for "all levels" because theoretically you almost always can modify. But it's up to the instructor to implement this and guide participatnts. Most class descriptions are generic for the facility and not based on specific instructors. Two different instructors can teach quite differently. As I mentioned above, I think a common instructor misconception is that people know how to modify and/or pace themselves. It takes a long time for newbies to learn this, IMO.[/quote]

Yes! In classes like Kettlebell where there is serious risk of injury (to yourself AND others) if you don't know what you're doing it's dangerous! It's a bit shocking when instructors just assume we all know what we're doing especially when it's labeled for "All levels". Mine offered no instructions on form or weight suggestions for beginners etc.... It was bizarre!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i don't like doing them. but i do teach aerial yoga in a group setting
    i'm not a group person. i don't run in groups. i get anxious.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    I try a group class now and then, but I've never found one I liked. The closest was a spin class in one of those super dark rooms since could only see/hear the instructor, but overall I vastly prefer a solitary experience, running outdoors or on my treadmill or cycling. I just don't want to spend time with strangers I guess, and I really like my workouts to be time alone.
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,307 Member
    I love classes! For one, I've never been a gym person so I don't really know what to do on my own. Also, as others have said, being in a room with other people (who are usually in great shape) pushes me to work harder, because I don't want to look bad. Finally, if an instructor makes the moves look easy and looks good doing them, it makes me want to be like them. (Even if I know I'll never physically look as good as them, for some reason that motivates me.)

I agree with your comment that an instructor can make or break a class. But the only thing that has made me actually quit going to a class is when I had instructors that don't have good rhythm teaching classes that are supposed to be in time to music, like zumba. (If you can't count music, don't teach rhythmic classes...)

I really appreciate instructors who show modifications for most things. I'm still probably twice the size of most people in the classes I take, and I simply can't do a lot of the moves the way they are supposed to be done. Now that I've been doing the classes for a while, I can modify a lot of them on my own, but I still prefer it when the instructor gives me modifications. I have one particular GRIT instructor who is fantastic about giving modifications and her modifications push me a lot harder than my own would.

I also appreciate instructors who show/discuss proper form. As someone who hasn't worked out for my whole life, I always like to be told how I'm supposed to hold myself.

On a personal level, I like instructors who interact with me and seem to care about me. I was pretty impressed when I had a sub instructor in a class ask me my name, and I saw her at the gym a week later and she actually remembered it. :smile: