Am I looking for a miracle food/recipe?

K_EDSwarrior
K_EDSwarrior Posts: 17 Member
edited January 2019 in Food and Nutrition
I am lean and recently started a PT-led weight training programme..and I'm loving it! He has told me i need to eat more and I'm struggling..!

My regular meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) fill me up and I cant really fit more volume of food in at those times. However I do find that i feel hungry and have the urge to 'snack' outside of meal times. And I'm really struggling with what to eat and keep making rubbish choices due to lack of knowledge....and my digestive restrictions.

Is there an answer or am I looking for a miracle?

I'm looking for:
200 (max.) calories
Can be stored for a few days (either in cupboard or fridge)
Gluten Free
Low sugar
Lactose free
Not fruit

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    I am lean and recently started a PT-led weight training programme..and I'm loving it! He has told me i need to eat more and I'm struggling..!

My regular meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) fill me up and I cant really fit more volume of food in at those times. However I do find that i feel hungry and have the urge to 'snack' outside of meal times. And I'm really struggling with what to eat and keep making rubbish choices due to lack of knowledge....and my digestive restrictions.

Is there an answer or am I looking for a miracle?

I'm looking for:
    200 (max.) calories
    Can be stored for a few days (either in cupboard or fridge)
    Gluten Free
    Low sugar
    Lactose free

Not fruit

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

Is there a medical reason for the bolded? None of my typical snacks would fit with all of those three.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Nuts. They are usually 170-190 a serving, depending on the type of nut you choose.

Some cured meats.

Veggies with a non dairy dip (or peanut butter).

Small versions of whatever you eat for meals. If we have small leftovers, I will often have those for snacks.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2019
    There are all sorts of energy/protein bars out there that fit those descriptions. Even if you're gf due to having celiac disease like I am, there are quite a few choices.
  • K_EDSwarrior
    Thanks! I keep my eyes out but they seem so high in sugar. Although in loving the bounce balls 😍
  • K_EDSwarrior
    Nuts. They are usually 170-190 a serving, depending on the type of nut you choose.

Some cured meats.

Veggies with a non dairy dip (or peanut butter).

Small versions of whatever you eat for meals. If we have small leftovers, I will often have those for snacks.

Ive been thinking about smaller portions of my lunches and/or dinners, good call. Thanks!
  • K_EDSwarrior
    In your weight lifting post, you stated you were losing strength due to not eating before working out. Maybe a smoothie with some calories before you hit the gym would fix both these issues?

Thanks! Ive never eaten before training....how long after eating do you feel ready for training? Im up at 5.45 and in the gym for 6.45-7 depending on traffic. Do you think 30-45 minutes is enough so i dont throw up? :-)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    edited January 2019
    In your weight lifting post, you stated you were losing strength due to not eating before working out. Maybe a smoothie with some calories before you hit the gym would fix both these issues?

Thanks! Ive never eaten before training....how long after eating do you feel ready for training? Im up at 5.45 and in the gym for 6.45-7 depending on traffic. Do you think 30-45 minutes is enough so i dont throw up? :-)

I personally don't eat before working out. But I don't feel weak during my workout, either. I'm up at 3:45, at the gym by 4:30, workout til 6:00, at work by 7:00, black coffee til about 9:30, then breakfast.

Someone up thread said something about eating closer to bedtime. That's me. I have dessert right before bed every night.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member

This varies a lot by individual. I eat a light breakfast right before I leave for the gym, and am working out 20-25 minutes later, with zero problems. I have a peasant's digestive system!

Some other people can't eat at all, or they get queasy, so they work out fasted.

Unfortunately, you may have to experiment . . . cautiously. :)
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Beef jerky. Lactose free yoghurt (low sugar, not fruity ones). Boiled eggs. Vegetables and hummus. Cooked meats. Gluten/lactose free protein bars. Nut butter on gluten free bread. Any kind of sandwich with GF bread. Salads. Sugar free jello.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    I often have a protein bar for breakfast on the way to the gym.
  • tecat810
    tecat810 Posts: 4,403 Member
    I have celiac and love larabars. I also will do hummus with veggies, apple with almond butter. I find I need something before a training session, and apples have been awesome.
  • skullsandskeletons
    skullsandskeletons Posts: 675 Member
    3 scrambled egg whites with spinach, mushrooms, and a slice of cheese! Nom nom nom!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    Roasted chickpeas are about 120 calories to the ounce