Noom

A lot of ads have suddenly appeared on social media for Noom - anyone know what it is and/or tried it? Just curious as I have already lost enough to be within sniffing distance of my 'happy' weight using mfp to monitor my intake and log activity.

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    There was a recent thread and basically, everyone was disappointed. Noon oaches were reported to be slow to respond and their answers came from a rote script. Of course there might be some selection bias there, as happy Noom users might be posting on their own forums.

You can get similar advice and support by working through the Beck Diet Solution workbook (the cognitive behavioral therapy Noom boasts) and posting on these forums.
  • MarieRosekenji85
    MarieRosekenji85 Posts: 147 Member
    I didn't like it. I tried like a 2 week free trial. all the advice they give you can google yourself. they only engage with you like once a week, and to me a paid membership they should be a daily check in option. Also they do not offer anything special that myfitnesspal free version doesn't offer. Just my opinion thoughts I'm biased and love myfitnesspal better hands down. I've tried almost all the calorie counting apps from lose it to carb manager and I always come back here. This site offers the best free version possible whereas most make you pay to just sync your fitness device.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    There was a recent thread and basically, everyone was disappointed. Noon oaches were reported to be slow to respond and their answers came from a rote script. Of course there might be some selection bias there, as happy Noom users might be posting on their own forums.

You can get similar advice and support by working through the Beck Diet Solution workbook (the cognitive behavioral therapy Noom boasts) and posting on these forums.

Huh, I tried to link to that thread but couldn't find it. My memory of it matches yours though.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I think it got deleted, I commented in it and don't see it in my list of replies.
  • ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    I don't know anything except what I've seen on social media, and it looks like a bunch of b.s. to me.
  • vetvicki
    vetvicki Posts: 62 Member
    I looked at online reviews and they were very negative- saying the same as above. It appears difficult to cancel as well.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    I briefly looked at it, and noped right out of there. It wasn't difficult to cancel -- I did it within 24 hours -- but there was way too much food judgment going on.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Interesting responses - thanks all. I still find this app, along with the views/comments in its forums (health warning noted 😉) the most effective way for me to manage my weight.
  • bluesheeponahill
    bluesheeponahill Posts: 169 Member
    I looked into it and it seemed like a good concept, but poorly executed. I decided just googling for low calorie but dense meals was better than paying someone. Plus MFP seems to be a good medium. It’s just you will need to do the legwork, oppose paying someone for it.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    I didn't even make it through the 2 week trial period on noom. The food tracking was difficult to use, which was enough for me to cancel it before I had to pay.
    I wasn't thrilled with the original fees if you did move into the paid version. In the beginning you had to state your goals and it gave a timeline, mine was going to be 8 months and they were going to charge me for all 8 months upfront. When I canceled, they offered a monthly payment option to stay. So, if you want to go month to month, threaten to cancel before you start paying.
    It was no problem to cancel though.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member

THANK YOU so much for recommending this book. I have been working on it for my maintenance since reading your response and it has been incredibly helpful.
  • LeslieHuggins
    LeslieHuggins Posts: 41 Member
    I did the free trial, tried looking up and logging food a few days. HATED IT. Their food database sucks, IMO. Back to what I know works.