Saran Wrap while working out

Options
My co worker recently told me that to burn more belly fat, she wraps her stomach in Saran Wrap (plastic wrap) while working out and she sweats more around her abdomen. Before anyone here calls me an absolute Buffoon, I am clueless to using plastic wraps, workout belts, whatever ever else, etc. that being said, is using a plastic wrap around your abdomen while working out safe? Does it work or have any real benefits? I am just looking for some opinions! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    No, there's no real benefit. Your body uses stored fat for energy, taking it in whatever order your genetics naturally lead it in. It's not like the areas you sweat more or that get hotter burn more fat.

All those wraps may cause is a temporary drop in water weight in the area. Assuming you only wrap one small area, you'll just be more uncomfortable than necessary and look silly. If you were to wrap too large an area, it might interfere with your body's ability to regulate temperature and cause you to hyperventilate I would think, that's just a guess.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose water weight maybe. If you want to lose fat, no.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    No. That's just silly. You don't burn fat like that.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    No benefits whatsoever. Best case scenario, you’ll look silly and waste a lot of plastic wrap. Worst case scenario, you’ll overheat from your sweat not evaporating and cooling your body down.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Waste of saran wrap and it can't be comfortable. If it was wrapped really tightly then it could restrict your movement. Better to use the muscles you have in your core and strengthen them than to restrict them with plastic wrap.

As the others said it won't help weight loss in any way shape or form in the gym.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I used to do this as a teen and 20's the swish,swish sound was embarrassing when I'd run :D
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    There are no shortcuts. To lose fat, you need a calorie deficit. If trying to find an easy way out burned calories this would be great, but it doesn't.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    SierraMC15 wrote: »
    My co worker recently told me that to burn more belly fat, she wraps her stomach in Saran Wrap (plastic wrap) while working out and she sweats more around her abdomen. Before anyone here calls me an absolute Buffoon, I am clueless to using plastic wraps, workout belts, whatever ever else, etc. that being said, is using a plastic wrap around your abdomen while working out safe? Does it work or have any real benefits? I am just looking for some opinions! Thanks in advance!

no.