Potatoes = weight loss superfood?

Options

Replies

• GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    Yep I love potatoes. When i'm losing weight I have potatoes for dinner a lot because of the lower calories higher amounts - I love weighing out 200g of potatoes and having this massive plate full of food to eat. Wonderful!

Don't know about "super" , but definitely filling for me and delicious.

Another potato lover here. Anyone that tells me that potatoes aren't good for weight loss will have me throwing a potato at their head. I love them!

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    In above, I meant I find protein, fats and Veg in combination more filling usually
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    So if I DO NOT eat potatoes - would that mean, that "potentially" I might lose weight? Ridiculous! Were our ancestors told a million years ago? How did they survive with or without potatoes?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    This is always a fun potato story to read:

https://www.today.com/health/60-days-nothing-spuds-leaves-advocate-21-lbs-lighter-2D80555614

Of course, the woo brigade here is ready to strike so duck for cover.

there you go. I've awarded you a woo
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

https://www.today.com/health/60-days-nothing-spuds-leaves-advocate-21-lbs-lighter-2D80555614

Guy eats monodiet, eats little enough to lose, not surprising, says nothing about potatoes per se.

Argument by some is that the potato is sufficiently nutritionally complete to be a good monodiet, and that's not actually true. It is better than most other options, but that doesn't mean cutting out all other foods is a sensible idea.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options

That's nothing, there's a guy who only ate potatoes for an entire year-had some pretty great results from it as well

https://www.today.com/health/spud-fit-man-loses-weight-eating-only-potatoes-year-t106144
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    I’ve viewed several of his videos on his YouTube channel. Don’t know what his current status is. He may have fallen off the potato wagon.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I’ve viewed several of his videos on his YouTube channel. Don’t know what his current status is. He may have fallen off the potato wagon.

Yeah, don't know what his maintenance plan is/was, after losing all that weight. I imagine it would have been a pretty rough transition though, going from all potatoes for a year, back to a normal diet!
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I love love love spuds [potatoes]. I have them boiled [new or charlottes] ....... baked in the oven [jackets] ....... as oven chips with a teeny bit of olive oil ..1tsp [fries without the frying lol] ........ mashed with pepper and semi-skimmed milk .......as boulangere [sooooo delicious]

Will not do without potatoes......they just have to fit in ................ are they a superfood? nah, but quite nutritious, versatile and all round wonderful to me :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    suziecue25 wrote: »
    I love love love spuds [potatoes]. I have them boiled [new or charlottes] ....... baked in the oven [jackets] ....... as oven chips with a teeny bit of olive oil ..1tsp [fries without the frying lol] ........ mashed with pepper and semi-skimmed milk .......as boulangere [sooooo delicious]

Will not do without potatoes......they just have to fit in ................ are they a superfood? nah, but quite nutritious, versatile and all round wonderful to me :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVCaT6FvI_8
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,954 Member
    Options
    Much as I love taters, (and SWEET PERTATERS) I'm kind of afraid to read this thread very closely. I see a lot of ideas for deliciousness in here that I probably don't need swimming around in my head.

I do have one daily, usually. That or squash in some form, which seems really filling and seems to work the same way on me.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »

Yeah, don't know what his maintenance plan is/was, after losing all that weight. I imagine it would have been a pretty rough transition though, going from all potatoes for a year, back to a normal diet!

If you mean Andrew Taylor, I heard him interviewed on a few podcasts. I believe he was vegan before and he was doing a WFPB diet after (still with lots of potato).
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    s1ohrbnke27g.jpg

• workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Born and raised in Idaho. All about the potatoes! ;)

I can make a meal out of a baked potato, with the skin of course, topped with Greek yogurt and freshly ground pepper.

I had this last night! :smile: Sooo good!