Diabetic diet snack at night?

Options
Hi i am diabetic and i am processing to loseing weight. i am doing well losing the weight what can you eat for at night for a snack that wont hurt me?

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Are you following the ADA guidelines? Most of these snacks will come out at the low end of the ADA suggestions. If I am eating lower carbs because of other things through the day, I might just have the cheese, meat or nuts to cut back on the carbs. For example, tonight's chips and guac came to 14g, with 4g of fiber, so 10g net carbs if that is how you are tracking.

Tonight, I had a half serving of Garden of Eatin' Red Hot Blues tortilla chips with a single serving Wholly Guacamole.
    Last night, I had an ounce of almonds with an ounce of blueberries.
    Over the weekend, I had cured meats (chorizo, one night) with a couple of leafs of lettuce and an ounce of blackberries.
    One of my favorites is a single serving of sugar free chocolate jello with half an ounce of crushed nuts.
    I also like Think Thin Protein and Fiber bars (I recently had one late at night and had slightly higher FBG the next morning, but I literally ate it in bed).
    A serving of nuts with a half serving of dark chocolate chips.
    Cheese and veg or fruit. I have recently found parmesan Whisps at Costco, cheese that eats like a chip!
    I also have honey roasted nuts and siracha almonds so that I can get lots of flavor with my nuts, although I usually seem to choose the raw almonds or walnuts.
    When I just can't be bothered to think or prepare, I weigh out a serving (or half serving, depending on daily calories) of peanut butter and lick it off the spoon. Also delicious with apple slices, but I have only been buying berries lately.
  • Sapphirebabe1962
    Sapphirebabe1962 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    it is hard to decide what i can have cause i dont want to miss up my diet. but i have read some of your ideals i will give it a try. thank you
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Have you met with a diabetes dietician or educator? If not can you ask for a referral? They should be able to give you such guidelines.
  • HeyJulya
    HeyJulya Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    DeanaErnst wrote: »
    Hi i am diabetic and i am processing to loseing weight. i am doing well losing the weight what can you eat for at night for a snack that wont hurt me?

I am on Keto, and eat half a prepared package of sugar free jello (Kroger brand) with 5grams sugar free redi whipp topping nightly. I enjoy CALM magnesium powder in hot water as my “tea.” I also eat a 5gram packet of seaweed (salt/unsweetened) if I am up late and need something to munch on. If it fits my macros for the day, I have a cheese stick or a Duke’s brand shorty meat sausage. Slices of peeled cucumber also satisfy my urge for something crunchy/ dipped in Walden foods 0 calorie salad dressing.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    DeanaErnst wrote: »
    it is hard to decide what i can have cause i dont want to miss up my diet. but i have read some of your ideals i will give it a try. thank you

Are you following a low carb diet and or Keto by chance? I am a diabetic and follow Low Carb. 50 carb per day. Each day you can decide based on your calories or more likely on your gram counts for carbs, fats, proteins. What you want your night snack to be. For me more often than not I go with string cheese, or nuts. Reason is I do not want my night snack to be very high in carbs. Better for it to be a bit higher in protein or fats, to make sure my morning blood sugar stays where I want it. So is a two prong approach, keeping my blood sugars in great control, and at same time in that calorie deficit to lose weight. Key is to plan at beginning of day so you can have something tasty in the evening.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    One study found people who ate a small amount of cheese before bed had lower morning numbers - if you tend to get dawn phenomenon from stress hormones of waking up, as I do, eating something high in fat and protein right before bed helps.

My favorite late night snack is Greek yogurt with cacao powder and a few raspberries. If I'm craving salty / crunchy foods I might have a few pickles or sliced radishes. I don't eat nuts right before bed because I have no willpower where nuts are concerned and will eat ALL of them!
  • twdlove89
    twdlove89 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I’m not sure about a late snack but we buy diabetic jam (low in sugar and calories) and it’s amazing maybe with pb2 and an apple. It’s so good
  • 4my3gurls
    4my3gurls Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    What are good breakfast ideas that won’t raise your sugars I tried oatmeal and cinnamon for the first time and it made it kinda high also Cheerios
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Cheerios and other sweet cereals probably aren't a good idea for glucose control. Depending on your tolerances, oatmeal can work but I have better luck using steel cut oats, which have a lower glycemic index. It helps if you make it with milk, and add a little nut butter, so there's some protein and fat to slow down the absorption of the carbs.

@4my3gurls Are you on any medication? If you aren't on any medication which lowers your glucose levels, such as insulin or glimeperide, one way to avoid raising your levels over breakfast is to avoid carbs. Eat high protein foods with fat, such as eggs and bacon, cottage cheese. If you don't have time to make that sort of breakfast you can make eggs ahead of time in muffin containers and nuke them for a few seconds in the morning. Count the net carbs (carbs minus fiber) using my fitness pal and test afterwards, to learn how many carbs you can eat and stay in a good range.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I just had some almonds, coconut chips and a piece of 100% cacao bar and some half and half.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I'm not diabetic, but sometimes I have nuts or a cheese stick with turkey pepperoni, or cottage cheese with sliced cucumbers and tomatoes if I'm looking for a not-so-sweet snack. B)