Is Intermittent Fasting really as easy as people claim?

Options

Replies

• leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    hi, i also do 16:8 same as the reason of the lady above, to keep my calorie under control and only spend them when im genuinely hungry which is about 11. i would also consume empty calories after 7pm. doing 16:8 which for me is 7pm til 11am fast cuts all that out. its enabled me to be able to keep within my 1240 allowance easy. and cut the mindless snacking out .. too be honest this week as its been time of the month has been a bloody struggle and i cave with coffee usually lattes are my weak point although Nescafe sachets are 73 calories a mug a good substitute from say starbucks! ha ha
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Nathanae wrote: »
    Hi there,

I am looking for people (preferably women who want to lose weight) with experience of IF.

I have started a bit over a week ago and found it okay so far. I'm doing 16/8 (eating window 9:30-17:30, but the last two days I tried pushing that a bit and went 17.5/6.5 and 18.2/5.7, because it's the weekend and I don't have to have as much energy. Also, I heard somewhere the benefits start at 16hours and exponentially get better.)

My worry is, though: Can I just eat whatever I like (like I had chocolate, cereal and yoghurt and biscuits, smoothies, and big meals! (not all at once and not obscene amounts (well, to people here maybe -.-)), but it wasn't like I was "on a diet"-eating then), or do I still have to count and log calories in the feeding window? I did for the first two days, which resulted in me overthinking and undereating again - which caused my last diet to be very successful but also an emotional rollercoaster of undereating and binging and in the end, yoyo-ing back way past where I started. I decided to stop since I worried that the double strain of logging AND having an eye on the clock would make it less sustainable for me.

Sorry, this is a confusing post so far. I think what I mostly mean is to ask successful 16/8 IF-veterans: how much did you restrict and/or monitor your food intake during the feeding time or is it really "anything goes as long as you have only tea, water and black coffee for 16 hours afterwards"? How much did you actually lose and how quick was the process? (I know that quick isn't best because of sustainability and saggy skin, but I have NO idea what to expect from this! Is IF done casually more a "I want to lose 4 pounds"-kind of diet or "I need to drop 20kilos (40 pounds) before my [random big event in 5 months time]!"-kind of diet? It seems to be poplular among bodybuilding men, so I'd like to hear from a regular woman who doesn't go to the gym or doesn't have moderate workouts more than 2-3 times a week.

.... and how many calories breaks a fast? (because depending on which kind of coffee you select, even pure black unsweetened coffee is mostly listed to have some calories on mfp but most websites so far said it was okay to have it during fasting).

It's only been 9 nights of fasting, and I don't spend the entire 8 hours eating, but I still wonder if I'm overeating because I am worried about having to push back breakfast (I didn't really skip it most days, just had it later)... I haven't had the big "first-week-of-diet-water-weight-loss" that I usually have, so I'm worried I'm doing it wrong! I may have made mistakes like taking zinc supplements that tasted too sweet to be completely fine or took some powder supposed to suppress hunger, which has also like 3 calories, which seems extremely low, but I have now idea how delicate the fasting itself is!

The time frame and intensity seems unclear to me as well. Some people said they did the 16/8 only a couple days a week, some say it's a lifestyle and you should do low-carb in the feeding window as well... I find the entire thing very loosely defined so far and am still trying to figure out what I have to do and what the result can be?

hope someone will reply and share their experience.

I did this same type of post, OP and I will tell you that people who don't IF will tell you constantly that you have to be in a calorie deficit - which is fine. I'll add you and we can discuss it further, since the forums aren't the best platform for this (as you'll soon find). I'm on day like 16-18 (can't keep track) of 16:8 and even with breaking my fast twice, I'm down 14 pounds and although I'm not overeating, I'm not "under my necessary caloric intake" either.

I also started a group for women who are into IF - so if you're interested, I'll send you a request to add!

Here's the thing. You absolutely cannot in any way shape or form not obey the laws of nature. You have to be under your maintenance calories (which it appears you've interchanged here with "necessary caloric intake") over the long term in order to burn stored energy (mostly fat, but also other tissue). You cannot create energy. You can only use it or store it for later use. Your source of energy is from the food you eat or from your tissue. It cannot come from nothing.

It may sound trivial and obvious, but the problem with attributing fat loss to anything other than an energy deficit is that when people fail (or succeed), they won't really know why.

IF deserves neither the credit nor the blame for fat loss or lack of fat loss. It is simply a way of eating and nothing more.

For what it's worth, when I'm strictly working on cutting, I use IF as a method of eating so as to allow myself bigger meal portions for satiety - to control hunger. It is a tool, not a diet. There is no magic. It's not insulin spikes or lack thereof. It simply helps control my energy intake so that I use all of my food energy and some of my stored energy each day. If you don't use what you eat, you store it. If you use exactly what you eat (maintenance), you neither burn stored energy or add stored energy.

People respond to things like this because claiming that it's not about calories is patently false.

Preach!
  • stricklee11
    stricklee11 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I did IF twice. The first time, I lost 15 pounds in a month? The second time, I actually gained 6 pounds. IF is a bit tough for me to do as I can't function without breakfast and work an 8-5 job. That means that my window was always 7-3pm which was not optimal for me as I am a 3 square meals type gal. I think IF works best if the feeding window does not interfere with your normal feeding schedule.