Bariatric Surgery

Options
I have been going to our local hospital's bariatric program called Weight Wise. It evaluates and supports your mental health, diet, and sleep. I have been prescribed Saxenda, Contrave and Ozempic to help me lose weight. None have. The doctor has said I would be a good candidate for bariatric surgery, and if I understand correctly, she says the only way I will lose and maintain any weight loss is by having surgery. Although my husband would support me with surgery, he would prefer I did not. I would prefer I did not. However, she said that population studies show people just will not be successful with significant weight loss on their own. The loss yes, but keeping it off it the problem. Hormones and set points come into play and is why most people regain the weight. Not sure what to do. This is a big decision, and would love to hear your comments and feedback.

Replies

• phill_143
    phill_143 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    For such a major decision, it's definitely worth getting a second opinion.

It would be useful to ask your doctor for more information on the studies she's referring to.
    I've seen studies which support the hypothesis that participants regain slightly more weight after extreme, rapid weight loss (e.g. the Minnesota starvation experiment) but I'm not sure there's evidence to support the same in the case of slow controlled weight loss.
  • YEGKate
    YEGKate Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you who replied. I value all your comments. This is probably the biggest decision I will have to make. I have a lot of weight to lose, but either way, surgery or no surgery still requires me to make big changes in how I think and act around food choices. I am learning, but it’s taking me a while. Small changes have been made over the last 20 years and have more ahead of me. As my husband keeps telling me “slow and steady wins the race”. I keep trying to sprint. Best wishes to all. :)
  • erjones11
    erjones11 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    HI Kate-

My whole family is heavy and I have been heavy most of my life, until now. I had two very close family members have bariatric surgery and they lost a good deal of weight. Even still neither have been able to keep the weight off. Over time they have been able to expand their new stomachs and gain the weight back. They slipped back in to old habits and well we all know what happens.

I think their are lots of benefits to the surgery but surgery or not we have to find weighs to create new habits that will support long-term health. For me this is continuing to log my food and carefully measure all portions. For others they have to find their own healthy habits.

I wish you all the best on your journey.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Population studies tell you about the overall statistics within a *population*. They cannot, and are not designed to, predict individual success or failure, although they can certainly give you context of how many people succeed in losing weight and keeping it off long-term. The population studies do show a very poor rate of long term success, but even in that context there are still many people who have lost weight and kept it off.

Something to consider is that some people who have weight loss surgery are included in the people who lose weight and can't keep it off. It's not a guarantee that you will be successful. Nobody can guarantee that but you and your choices, something that is true whether or not you decide to have the surgery or not.

Good luck.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    My sister did it, well into her 50's. She had lost a hundred lbs several times but jut could not keep the weight off.
    She lost the weight after surgery but it took a few years and to this day she still throws up, sometimes several times a day.

It's a very personal decision; are you going to support groups to discuss it?
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I had Bariatric surgery and losing significant weight likely added ten years of health to my life.

However, you don’t want it. Don’t go in to a surgery that requires this sort of commitment if you don’t want it.

Same here. I have not just improved my health, but my quality of life. It was the best choice for me. That said, in my opinion, it is NOT for everyone, and if you have even a shred of doubt, don't do it.

ETA - I personally have never heard of anyone dying as a result of weight loss surgery. It makes me crazy when people say this because most have never had real life experience with this either. If you look at the percentages of people dying as a result of ANY surgery, I don't think bariatric surgery has a higher percentage. I have heard of people dying as a result of health complications because of morbid obesity though.
  • erjones11
    erjones11 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Hi Garber6th-

While I think it is a viable solution for many. I googled it and people do die.

https://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20041007/studies-weigh-risks-of-gastric-bypass-surgery#1

garber6th wrote: »
    I had Bariatric surgery and losing significant weight likely added ten years of health to my life.

However, you don’t want it. Don’t go in to a surgery that requires this sort of commitment if you don’t want it.

Same here. I have not just improved my health, but my quality of life. It was the best choice for me. That said, in my opinion, it is NOT for everyone, and if you have even a shred of doubt, don't do it.

ETA - I personally have never heard of anyone dying as a result of weight loss surgery. It makes me crazy when people say this because most have never had real life experience with this either. If you look at the percentages of people dying as a result of ANY surgery, I don't think bariatric surgery has a higher percentage. I have heard of people dying as a result of health complications because of morbid obesity though.

• CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »

I can't speak to percentages, but I had a friend who died during bariatric surgery. She was obese....but nothing like the people you see on "My 600 Lb Life". So, it does happen.

• CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the others on this page. I had gastric lap bad surgery 10 years ago. For me, it was a total failure. I lost about 25 lbs and then went back to my old eating habits and gained over 30 lbs more than I was when I had the surgery. Bariatric surgery is a tool...it is NOT a magic cure. You still need to watch your calories and monitor what you eat. You still need to be 100% committed. If you eat high fat foods, drink sugary drinks, etc. you will not lose any weight. I don't blame my failure on the band...I blame my failure on me. I absolutely would not get bariatric surgery unless it is something you want and are willing to following the doctor's recommended eating/exercise plan. I'm back at it again...but this time I'm just doing it by limiting calories and exercising...no more surgery for me.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    "Most people" don't maintain their weight loss, even with surgery. Your doctor forgot to mention that statistic.

Since I was wooed above, thought I would share a few research/report articles about weight gain after bariartic surgery.
    https://www.healthline.com/health-news/bariatric-surgery-patients-see-weight-gain-after-honeymoon-period-080515#1
    http://www.nbcnews.com/id/26076054/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/miracle-weight-loss-isnt/#.XD-fSeyIa9c
    https://brighamhealthhub.org/gastrointestinal/gained-weight-after-gastric-bypass

• amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I know quite a few people who have had bariatric surgery. Some were huge successes, some had it reversed (they had the type that could be), and others have put weight on, and have not continued with the necessary commitment to live well after the surgery. The bottom line is, you need to make a major commitment with however you choose to lose the weight. The success stories, that had the surgery, still work hard every day.

On another note, bariatric surgery has a huge financial return for the hospitals that have Bariatric centers, and your doctor does not sound like he's putting your needs first.